Is it normal or a manufacturing defect for an omega to have off centered date wheel? What causes it?

Every microbrand watch that I have with a date window is better aligned than the problematic ones I come across when people say they have an issue. This forum wants to blow it off, but hey, they have an issue, maybe we should listen instead of telling them they expect too much. Literally $299 watches with better date alignment than $5000 Omegas is laughable. I think at that price there should be no issues too, but I live in a different world than the typical OF Omega buyer I suppose. I see plenty of complaints about Tudor bezels losing lume pips way more than, again, any other microbrand. Sure they happen, but seemingly not as often, and typically met with the brand owner saying, "oh hey, that's bad, we'll replace that" instead of accusing them of ill will. Hell, try to get an owner of any watch brand above that level to return an email or a phone call. We're peons and treated that way by corporate, et tu community?
Anecdotal observations aren't very helpful, IMO. We have no idea what fraction of new Omegas have various QC issues compared to other brands. The only thing we can guarantee is that people will join OF to complain. If the complaints cause other people to avoid the Omega brand, that seems like a reasonable consequence, and maybe Swatch will choose to step up their game, tighten their tolerances, and improve inspections.

Like 5
M

Every microbrand watch that I have with a date window is better aligned than the problematic ones I come across when people say they have an issue. This forum wants to blow it off, but hey, they have an issue, maybe we should listen instead of telling them they expect too much. Literally $299 watches with better date alignment than $5000 Omegas is laughable. I think at that price there should be no issues too, but I live in a different world than the typical OF Omega buyer I suppose. I see plenty of complaints about Tudor bezels losing lume pips way more than, again, any other microbrand. Sure they happen, but seemingly not as often, and typically met with the brand owner saying, "oh hey, that's bad, we'll replace that" instead of accusing them of ill will. Hell, try to get an owner of any watch brand above that level to return an email or a phone call. We're peons and treated that way by corporate, et tu community?

That you come across? For service or repair? In person?

Like 2
@RevZMan123 here's the thing: None of us really denied that this is an issue that happens. The issue that most of us (and specifically I) had was that OP shows up, posts a bunch of pictures (some of which are fake Omegas and some that specifically came from reddit, r/Reptime, where people talk about fake watches), and asserts that it's a common issue with Omega while posing that assertion as a question. OP essentially asserted that it would be a certainty (s)he would wind up with an off centered date, and that it ruined their excitement about owning an Omega, which, when you think about it, really makes zero sense. They completely ignored advice just to look at the watch in person before purchasing it and then listed a whole bunch of other issues with the brand.

The point was not to discuss an issue with an individual watch that actually needed to be addressed.
Likely, OP was trying to justify to themselves that a fake POS "rep" would be 'just as good as the real thing.' I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

So, based upon the assessment I (and others) made, response was a fairly specific, direct calling out of the OP. Please contrast that to the last time (that I recall) this came up, here is my tone when responding to someone who had an issue with their constellation:

upload_2024-7-31_18-32-39.png

https://omegaforums.net/threads/misaligned-date-omega-refuses-to-fix.168535/

Other members that actively responded in this (current) thread, also responded in that thread, with just in general, a more pleasant tone. Why? Because none of us really deny that Omega is capable of selling a watch with a date window that isn't perfectly aligned. Just, we're quite capable of telling who has an actual problem and who is just looking for a problem.

Edited:

Like 7
I'll go as far as to say the real problem is the OP used erroneous information the draw a conclusion and put forward an argument based on bullshit......to sum it up, if you only put shit in, you can't expect to get anything other than shit out!

Like 3
This forum wants to blow it off, but hey, they have an issue, maybe we should listen instead of telling them they expect too much.
Since you quoted me, I’ll say that half of my response (“You are expecting perfection from a mass produced entry level brand”) was tongue in cheek, as the OP said the flaws they were pointing out “should never be on a luxury watch in the first place”. No brand, including the micro-brands you enjoy so much, is perfect. Which is why I also stated that brands offer warranties and should the OP find something amiss, they can take it up with the brand to get it resolved.

The OP lazily came to the forum to argue:
When you combine all of these flaws with the ones I have mentioned then it does seem like omega makes compromised watches.
while using pictures of fake watches to prove their point. IMO the OP is blowing this well out of proportion. Making statements like above, asking questions like
Are these the norm? How many watches out of 10 watches would have such "imperfections"?
Sure, we get the occasional new person that rants about how their “luxury Omega” came with a flaw that “at that price point should never had any flaw to begin with” but they are truly the minority. There are lengthy threads on this forum dedicated to AT, 300M, Speedmaster, and any number of other modern Omega, all full of happy owners that don’t have a single complaint. But it’s the very few that join the forum only to complain & argue that make it seem like this is a rampant issue. Just like your single (or small) example of a positive experience with a microbrand, there are thousands of positive experiences from Omega owners filling this forum. All the OP had to do was look.

Like 4
Those are great examples of the "intellectual dishonesty" that the OP was using throughout all of his posts.

"how many watches out of 10 watches would have such imperfections" I mean come on, the sample is absolutely tiny. OPs statement draws the conclusion that there should be some number out of 10, but the reality is probably more like some number out of 1,000. It shows both OPs motive and opinion that he would even choose such an absurdly small sample.

Just in general, OPs language showed exactly what he was about.

Like 3
It is a misreading of the thread, I think, to depict it as fanboys shouting down a disappointed newcomer. Without reading into the intentions of the OP, the plain facts in evidence make him a flawed messenger for these issues, at the very least. I really don’t see how anyone comes away from this thread thinking the OP is the reasonable one.

Like 6
I see plenty of complaints about Tudor bezels losing lume pips way more than, again, any other microbrand.

Did you ever think it might be because a "microbrand" makes a very small fraction of the volume of watches compared to a company like Tudor or Omega?

Sure they happen, but seemingly not as often, and typically met with the brand owner saying, "oh hey, that's bad, we'll replace that" instead of accusing them of ill will.

Where exactly had Omega accused the OP of ill will?

For the few real watches the OP posted, if the date is out of tolerance Omega will repair it under warranty. For the fakes, well he'll have to go to the makers of the fakes for that.

Like 3
Since you quoted me, I’ll say that half of my response (“You are expecting perfection from a mass produced entry level brand”) was tongue in cheek, as the OP said the flaws they were pointing out “should never be on a luxury watch in the first place”. No brand, including the micro-brands you enjoy so much, is perfect. Which is why I also stated that brands offer warranties and should the OP find something amiss, they can take it up with the brand to get it resolved.

The OP lazily came to the forum to argue:

while using pictures of fake watches to prove their point. IMO the OP is blowing this well out of proportion. Making statements like above, asking questions like

Sure, we get the occasional new person that rants about how their “luxury Omega” came with a flaw that “at that price point should never had any flaw to begin with” but they are truly the minority. There are lengthy threads on this forum dedicated to AT, 300M, Speedmaster, and any number of other modern Omega, all full of happy owners that don’t have a single complaint. But it’s the very few that join the forum only to complain & argue that make it seem like this is a rampant issue. Just like your single (or small) example of a positive experience with a microbrand, there are thousands of positive experiences from Omega owners filling this forum. All the OP had to do was look.

Yes, I only look here and I only use my own watches as an example. Certainly I couldn't possibly be part of OTHER communities with THOUSANDS of microbrand owners who are VERY quick to complain about problems.

Even more than you guys like to complain and pile on. Don't worry, I see the clique-likes on posts.

It's ok for you guys to enjoy your bubble of "Yes, please, Omega, I'll take whatever junk you send me, pleeeeeeease." Many people aren't having it when they can clearly get better QC from a dude in singapore building watches in his backyard workshop because he actually cares about his customers. Omega wants to be Rolex so they've started treating their customers and now their watchmakers the same way.

It is a misreading of the thread, I think, to depict it as fanboys shouting down a disappointed newcomer. Without reading into the intentions of the OP, the plain facts in evidence make him a flawed messenger for these issues, at the very least. I really don’t see how anyone comes away from this thread thinking the OP is the reasonable one.

I actually never said the OP was reasonable, more that you lot are unreasonable. And increasingly so. Sad really.

@RevZMan123 here's the thing: None of us really denied that this is an issue that happens. The issue that most of us (and specifically I) had was that OP shows up, posts a bunch of pictures (some of which are fake Omegas and some that specifically came from reddit, r/Reptime, where people talk about fake watches), and asserts that it's a common issue with Omega while posing that assertion as a question. OP essentially asserted that it would be a certainty (s)he would wind up with an off centered date, and that it ruined their excitement about owning an Omega, which, when you think about it, really makes zero sense. They completely ignored advice just to look at the watch in person before purchasing it and then listed a whole bunch of other issues with the brand.

The point was not to discuss an issue with an individual watch that actually needed to be addressed.
Likely, OP was trying to justify to themselves that a fake POS "rep" would be 'just as good as the real thing.' I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

So, based upon the assessment I (and others) made, response was a fairly specific, direct calling out of the OP. Please contrast that to the last time (that I recall) this came up, here is my tone when responding to someone who had an issue with their constellation:

upload_2024-7-31_18-32-39.png

https://omegaforums.net/threads/misaligned-date-omega-refuses-to-fix.168535/

Other members that actively responded in this (current) thread, also responded in that thread, with just in general, a more pleasant tone. Why? Because none of us really deny that Omega is capable of selling a watch with a date window that isn't perfectly aligned. Just, we're quite capable of telling who has an actual problem and who is just looking for a problem.

By page 2 the OP was gone and all the same players were up in arms about "How dare anyone question 1mm left or right"

Did you ever think it might be because a "microbrand" makes a very small fraction of the volume of watches compared to a company like Tudor or Omega?

Where exactly had Omega accused the OP of ill will?

For the few real watches the OP posted, if the date is out of tolerance Omega will repair it under warranty. For the fakes, well he'll have to go to the makers of the fakes for that.

Tudor and Omega don't care about customers anymore, they care about money. Because people think they are "luxury", because of their marketing. Just like Rolex.

Sorry, there was clearly a miscommunication there, I wasn't accusing Omega of ill will at all.

I mean, I know you're a watchmaker, but it's still grating as a consumer to hear you talk about tolerances and speak the specific 1/3 up or 2/3 left or whatever. But a consumer who was sold a "luxury" watch expects better. period. I don't expect someone who literally lives by the brand to disagree.

I mean, I know you're a watchmaker, but it's still grating as a consumer to hear you talk about tolerances and speak the specific 1/3 up or 2/3 left or whatever. But a consumer who was sold a "luxury" watch expects better. period. I don't expect someone who literally lives by the brand to disagree.

People ask questions and I answer them - if me simply stating Omega's tolerances for the very thing that is being asked about is "grating" to you, then honestly I'm not sure what anyone can say or do that would satisfy you.

I'm not sure what you are expecting me to disagree with. Me stating the reality is not an agreement or disagreement.

If you are implying that I am afraid of losing my Omega account by saying something negative about Omega's products, then you clearly have not been paying attention...

Like 5
@RevZMan123, IMO you are way out of line and misreading the responses in this thread. I really don’t see people blindly defending Omega or claiming that Omega watches are particularly high quality. We are just mocking the OP (and now you) because he is ridiculous, insincere, and obnoxious. Most likely, QC for Omega is similar to that of other mass produced brands. Or maybe a little better or a little worse. Either way, there will be some anecdotal reports of issues, and given the huge volume of Omega watches sold, I’d expect to find a lot of complaints on the internet.

If you or the OP doesn’t like Omega QC, fine. Don’t buy Omega watches. Personally, I don’t expect to buy any modern Omega watches, but that’s because I find them uninteresting not because they are low quality.

Like 3
Cats, we need cats. Cats, please. Cats now.

Hey, is that cat wearing a Speedmaster while mowing the lawn? WTF!?! Worlds are colliding …

Like 2
Hey, is that cat wearing a Speedmaster while mowing the lawn? WTF!?! Worlds are colliding …

Think this one’s on a nato?
IMG_3492.jpeg

I actually never said the OP was reasonable, more that you lot are unreasonable. And increasingly so. Sad really.
Since we’re being precise about our words, feel free to specify what I said that you think is unreasonable.

Like 3

I originally deleted this response, but...

The post of @krogerfoot 's that you are specifically responding to, actually made me appreciate just how reasonable, logical, and level-headed the majority of members here are the majority of the time.

Like 2