Forums Latest Members
  1. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

09578830-A7C8-4E70-8A0F-77D35CFC3AA9.jpeg E0408899-2A2B-40E2-99E6-CA3EB82FA08A.jpeg 0D57269B-E3CB-4EC5-B5EC-F6DC2E44BD8C.jpeg 46EE28A5-8A4A-4E9F-B117-9C036F7BEEBF.jpeg 9D3E5AF4-2FCC-4BBE-8288-B35960859354.jpeg 752B8E33-9E94-4369-949D-1A156920474A.jpeg Hi everyone, sorry for the second thread.

The watch was delivered with all things that were promised. The good news is the dial looks great - as does the watch.
    Bad news is - the seconds hand does not continue around - it stops at 57-58 seconds.

I turn off the seconds hand with the top button - reset with the bottom button - and clock the top button to start it again - and it will go around to 57-58 and stop again.

If I open the crown to move the time - the seconds has will move again as I move the minute and hour hands past the seconds hand. It will still not go past the 57-58 second mark without stopping first.

So here’s something that can’t be good - Shaking the watch starts it up again. The shipping box it came in took a good hit - could that have damaged it? It was packed half decently - and the watch inside an Omega SA servicing box.

Not sure what to do here?

The watch and dial look great - it is keeping poor time - but working.

Your advice is appreciated.

2. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

Update: the time hasn’t stopped after 30 minutes altogether.

I guess I will be taking it back. Unless I have to wind it more? Not sure what to try here?

3. Davidt Nov 11, 2019

What's the history here? Where did you buy it, from whom, was it advertised as serviced etc?

4. Davidt Nov 11, 2019

Have you fully wound it?

5. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

Hi David - Chrono24 - so I can take this watch back. I don’t know if I have wound it enough - how would I know that? I would time around about 72 hours worth.

It was serviced by Omega SA - I have the papers - in 2017 (something the seller didn’t mention as he said it has a 2 year warranty (which is over).

Stated as keeping perfect time.

6. bimmernerd Nov 11, 2019

Wind the crown till you can't move it any further.

How much did you pay for the watch?

7. Davidt Nov 11, 2019

Wind it until you feel resistance. If it's almost unwound the chrono hand does stop and it adds extra load to the movement.

8. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

I’m going to go away from the forums for a few years and hope no one remembers these posts when I return.

Winding worked - I am a little unsure about how much to wind - it seems I am getting resistance - I don’t want to break anything - but it is going all the way round now.

My first vintage watch if you haven’t guessed...

Keeping time now and working well.

I will shrink back into a random bush now.

Thank-you all got going easy on me.

Als 27, chronos, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  9. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

Thank-you for this.

10. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

Mods - please remove this thread.

11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 11, 2019

It'll fall off eventually.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing. Some of us are old enough that we grew up with winding watches and when you're five years old with your first Timex, you don't remember what you didn't know.

Just wind it until it stops. Don't use any force.

Tom

chronos, watchyouwant and vtknight like this.
  12. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

Thanks Tom - I am unfortunately old enough to have owned winding watches. I panicked when I saw the box - not thinking simply about the fact the watch was in transit for a week and would need a full winding. That said, it HAS been awhile since I owned a winding watch - and it didn't come automatically (pardon the pun). I wound it until I felt tension and it has been keeping absolutely perfect time for the past 3 hours. It is a beautiful watch - I love it.

I'm going to see if I can get my vintage dial to go back in - with the hands if possible and it will be perfect for me. My Dial.jpeg Watch Pic 1.jpg

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 11, 2019

Don't feel like you MUST put the vintage parts back in, especially if lume is important to you. You still have them and can put them in at any time in the future. There is something to be said about functionality.

Tom

vtknight likes this.
  14. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

This is very true. I know for the real vintage people - my watch is heresy because it looks brand new...but it is doing what I wanted - the movement year has meaning for me - I have a beautiful 1171 bracelet I am putting on (although I must admit the JB Champion 1175 it came with is really nice). I do not own an Omega and always wanted one and for the past four hours it has kept precise time. That said - since the dial looks so good - I am going to at least have it looked at and see what my options are.

1171 B.jpg
  15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 11, 2019

Just fit your Band and wear as is. Get a feeling for it. Enjoy it. And whenever you go for a long holiday, drop it off at the watchmaker of your choice for the dial change. I would keep the new luminous hands. Or relume the old ones. And tell the watchmaker exactly, what you want. Dial change. Not another service needed! Kind regards. Achim

vtknight likes this.
  16. vtknight Nov 11, 2019

Thanks for the advice Achim - I am really loving the watch as is - I am happy either way. I think I will take your advice and wear as is for awhile and then when I am on vacation - take it in.