Forums Latest Members

Introduction to my Beautiful First Omega Speedmaster 3575.20

1. Gonzo2424 Sep 5, 2019

The day is finally here and I have received my beautiful Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Phase Ref# 3575.20. Appreciate all the feedback and support in helping me make my decision!

As I've quickly learned- no post is a post here on OF unless it has some high-resolution pictures with it so see below for some eye candy.

This watch was purchased from eLady Mall out of Japan. I did a lot of research and knew both the pros and cons to this so wanted to share my experience. First, even with the thought that it may need a service, the price point was hard to beat (be sure to grab their Coupon Codes- as much as 12% sometimes). Sure, it was not a complete set (although plenty of their other inventory does if that is your requirement) and it had been lightly polished but to each their own and I am happy with what I got and where I landed. Yes, shipping to the US did come with Import Fees from Customs, but no, I have no idea how they calculated it. I can tell you it was only $87.28 under the HTS code of 9102.11.1010 and it was shipped via DHL from start to finish (no transfer to USPS). I can also tell you that $26.22 alone was a processing fee and not even tied to the tax.

The first thing I did upon receiving was went to my local AD to take a link out (not in my case, but be aware that a lot of bracelets from Japan are small, eLady states the size on the listing) because the bracelet was slightly too big. I also was hoping that bringing it to them would help me confirm authenticity and/or give me a feel for the life left in the movement before a service might be needed. I have informally been running it for the past day and it looks like its definitely running fast- about +10 secs a day. Unfortunately no one there was familiar enough with the watch and didn't really offer up a case removal and review- simply said they can help me send it to Omega.

Here is where I need the community's help:

1. Is +10 seconds reasonable for it's age and with the assumption its never been serviced? I love the watch, but also have 14 days from yesterday to return if necessary. Curious if I should push back since they said they confirm prior to selling if its in an "acceptable range". I realize a service can help fix this, but would almost rather ride it out a little longer if I can. I have zero experience on the topic so appreciate your input.

2. I could open the case back myself to snap a picture of the movement to share with you all, but I feel the CONs outweigh the PROs unless the community here believes something looks off based on the exterior pictures below. I do not want to scratch it nor mess up potential seals that exist unless I had to. My ask- is it necessary or does this look authentic enough to not worry and historically this isn't a piece people worry about with fakes?

3. Love the Speedmaster bracelet, but any suggestions on where to get a solid leather strap to go with it? This reference also had a leather strap option. Looking for best spots to get OEM Omega straps and best spots to get after-market straps.

TIA!

P9052093.JPG
    P9052097.JPG P9052098.JPG P9052100.JPG

2. kennethwashere Sep 5, 2019

Absolutely gorgeous piece! I've been eyeing some pieces from Elady myself, as the prices seem good and the condition of the majority of watches there are excellent.

I'm also looking for my first Speedy, still trying to find the "right" one (although I'm sure the longer I hang out here on OF, it's not going to stop at just one!). Curious as to what made you steer towards this particular model? Not questioning it, just like to hear other peoples' perspectives on why they chose the Speedy that they did! :)

I'm sure some of the more seasoned vets will chime in regarding its authenticity, but if it's coming from eLady, I personally wouldn't worry.

Enjoy!

3. kennethwashere Sep 5, 2019

Also, what coupon code did you use? The only one I see on their website as of right now is 5% off watches. Been looking for something a bit higher, I've heard that there is a 10% off for first-time customers, but haven't seen the code...

4. Gonzo2424 Sep 5, 2019

I knew I wanted a Speedmaster but I already have a black faced dial Dive watch (Aquaracer) and wanted to initially spend money on something that would give me a slightly different look. Obviously this is a very unique piece and definitely checks the box on a different look with white face, it's blue indices and hands that look different depending on the light as well as the white gold bezel, just won me over and couldn't find anything else new or used that gave me the same excitement!

5. Gonzo2424 Sep 5, 2019

The discount codes come and go- sign up for their newsletter and just keep an eye out. I caught 8% on Labor Day Weekend, but looks like they've moved it back down to 5%. Prior to that I remember seeing 10% but didn't pull the trigger- then I just got impatient :)

6. Evitzee Sep 5, 2019

It's a used watch with unknown history (probably never been serviced) so +10 sec/day is not unreasonable. I always plan on a proper overhaul on any sort of used watch. Your watch looks good.

7. Wryfox Sep 5, 2019

So to answer one of your questions. +10 isn't outrageous. Is that from wrist wearing or a timing device?

I have a timegrapher, which is the best watch tool I have in that it tells you whats really going on. But I do know that measuring in one static position, or even several positions, is not the same as dynamic wearing. But its close, and that's why it has value.

If it were me (with my jr watchmaker badge on), I'd open it up and regulate myself. Its not hard, but does require some basic skill and precision tools. Why would I do this? Because +10 is not in the realm of requiring service or overhaul....unless beat error and amplitude are also off significantly. The Timegrapher will tell you this information as well.

Edited Sep 5, 2019
  8. kennethwashere Sep 5, 2019

It's definitely a beautiful piece! Wear it well!

Gonzo2424 likes this.
  9. GandOsDad Sep 5, 2019

I just got my Crown and Buckle Black Label strap in for my incoming that I am just floored about. Excellent quality, I don’t think I would go another route in the future.

842934A4-5650-4A3A-A65F-A70FBB99327C.jpeg FCAED059-4768-4AE6-887E-DB6477F2A961.jpeg
    Gonzo2424 likes this.
  10. Gonzo2424 Sep 5, 2019

FYI- just got an email for 10% next 3 days --- "7AF4XWF"

kennethwashere likes this.
  11. kennethwashere Sep 6, 2019

Just got the email! Time to bite the bullet on one...

12. jaguar11 Sep 6, 2019

Well done!! Very nice. Wear in the best of health.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 6, 2019

Timekeeping is within Omega specs for the Cal. 1866. They are that the average daily rate should fall between -1 and +11 seconds per day, measured over 3 positions. So the rates you are seeing are not any indication that the watch requires servicing - but timekeeping is not a reliable indicator of the need for servicing anyway.

I would full wind the watch, set the time, write it down, and let the watch run until it stops. Note how many hours it runs - this is a better (not perfect, but better) indicator of the condition of the movement. Watch should run for approx. 48 hours.

Cheers, Al

Gonzo2424 and BradleyJ. like this.
  14. Walrus Sep 8, 2019

I love those moonphases. That one you picked up is beautiful but I’m going to go for a simple inexpensive one. Maybe a quartz bulova moonphase I saw around. Just to have a moonphase in the collection. Congrats on that pick up looks like a wonderful watch.

15. bimmernerd Sep 9, 2019

Beautiful watch. Congrats!