Forums Latest Members
  1. machamp6650 Sep 24, 2019

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd start with a brief intro. I've been obsessing over Omega watches since I was a kid, and have been looking over this forum for a couple of years but only recently decided to join up. Here's the state of my Omega collection thus far:

20190830_131754.jpg

From left to right each watch has an important place and story in my life. The first, Seamaster Planet Ocean, was bought about a decade ago and was my first 'take a deep breath and make a big financial decision' watch purchase. I've already decided that I'll have it for the rest of my life and hand it down to the kids.

The second is my first Speedmaster and current favourite watch. I'd note that it's a mod of the Apollo 11 35th - one of the first things to bring me to speedies after all these years was seeing the range of options available and the thriving mod community (at least until the parts dried up). This watch also represents my first attempt at a mod.

The last, a Seamaster 600 in gold, is actually my most recent acquisition. A few weeks ago my mum dropped by and gave this to me unexpectedly (I hadn't seen it before that time). Turns out it was my grandfather's, who wore it until his death in 1970. He left it with his wife (my grandmother), who wore it regularly until she also died, when I was a couple of months old. It hasn't been touched for the close to 40 years until my mum gave it to me. It was a pretty special moment; my mum knew I liked watches but not any brand in particular, and when she handed me this family heirloom she had no idea that I was also wearing an Omega at the time!

This brings me to the point of the thread - I plan to keep the 600 and want to bring it back to health if possible, although I know next to nothing about vintage restos or this model in particular.

I aimed to start by fitting an appropriate Omega strap, although quickly had some difficulties with this. The watch seems to have one quick release / gimmick spring bar that has corroded and is currently immovable. The other bar seems to be a more standard spring bar although is also pretty much stuck in place. I'd welcome your advice on some related aspects like:

- Is this the appropriate configuration of bars for this model? Is the quick release bar standard in particular?
    - Should I try to work on removing the jammed quick release bar or leave it to a professional?
    - What are your thoughts about dealing with these bars in a resto? Should they be retained as part of the original model specifications (I note that they seem to be in gold or otherwise matched to the case), or does Omega still supply this kinds of parts?
    - Do I need any special strap specifications for these types of bars?

Any other advice on how to best approach a resto for this watch; model specifications (I haven't tried to remove the case back yet) or other thoughts would be welcome. As I mentioned, I'm new to the vintage space although am keen to learn for the sake of giving this heirloom the attention and respect it deserves. Cheers!
    20190923_214536.jpg
    20190923_214455.jpg 20190923_214507.jpg

chronos and alecuncu like this.
  2. Shabbaz Sep 24, 2019

Polish the plexi
    If scratches to deep new plexi
    Give it a service
    Ditch the bars
    I use this... not sure if the watchmakers do the same...:D

Screenshot_20190924-144253_Chrome.jpg
    Edited Sep 24, 2019
    Dan S, machamp6650 and alecuncu like this.
  3. Shabbaz Sep 24, 2019

And order a nice cognac or red brown alligator strap for $ 30 from vietnam

Screenshot_20190924-144512_Gallery.jpg
  4. Shabbaz Sep 24, 2019

If the crown needs to be replaced you can source it on ebay. Maybe a forum member has one in a drawer...

5. alecuncu Sep 24, 2019

I have no answer to your questions, but I just wanted to say that you have a very nice collection! That orange bezel on the Planet Ocean is especially gorgeous.

machamp6650 likes this.
  6. machamp6650 Sep 24, 2019

Hahaha if that's what's involved I'll definitely leave it to the professionals!

Thanks for the advice - so we're not particularly concerned about original bars then? Dump them for a new working set?

7. machamp6650 Sep 24, 2019

Sorry also can I ask - do I have to be particularly precious about the gold finish when using something like polywatch? I haven't dealt with gold watches before and this 600 seems to have a pretty thin / frail finish...

20190923_214550.jpg

8. Shabbaz Sep 24, 2019

9. Shabbaz Sep 24, 2019

But maybe it's best to leave the case as it is.

10. Shabbaz Sep 24, 2019

Yes. Dump them and buy normal springbars for 18mm lugs.

And I really used that tool for dozens of watches. But maybe @Archer or @ChrisN have some better ideas...

machamp6650 and KingCrouchy like this.
  11. ChrisN Sep 24, 2019

Those bolt action springbars can be a pain so, I'd just replace them.

You can use anything that you have (like those nippers) or wire cutters to cut through the bars as you don't have a strap. They are a hollow tube with a spring down the inside so, very easy. Just be careful with the case.

It's up to you but, when you have the watch serviced, the watchmaker will cut the bars, clean the case, polish the crystal for you. If you want to be more involved, be careful with the polywatch to not get it on the case.

It looks like a classic manual wind SM600 and will be a very nice memento. I hope you get it sorted and enjoy it - the other two are pretty sharp as well:thumbsup:.

Cheers, Chris

12. JwRosenthal Sep 24, 2019

Agree with all the above. If you’re itchy to get a strap on it and wear it around a little, either throw a nato on it, or saturate the bars with WD40 and they will probably spring back to life (pardon the pun). But get them off and put in a fresh set of spring bars.

As it hasn’t been run in 40 years, the oils inside are dried out for sure- don’t wear it much until it gets a freshening up.
    Absolutely do not take this to Omega to get serviced. They will change out parts you don’t want changed. Take it to an independent watchmaker who knows how to work with vintage watches.

machamp6650 likes this.
  13. machamp6650 Sep 25, 2019

Thanks for the advice Shabbaz. I was referring to using polywatch for the crystal, but good to know I should be careful about getting it on the case as well.

14. machamp6650 Sep 25, 2019

Thanks for that Chris! Would you happen to know the general production dates for this model (short of getting the case back off)?

You're right, I'm keen to get more involved in the process although following some advice here, it might be best to leave the whole thing to a watchmaker so I can enjoy it into the future.

15. machamp6650 Sep 25, 2019

Thanks for the advice, I've heard this from other areas as well. I'd imagine they'd replace the dial and hands at least, non-tritium versions? Even though the tritium plots seem to have lost charge ages ago, it still sounds like a good way to lose the original character of the watch :thumbsdown:

16. ChrisN Sep 25, 2019

It might be a 135.011 but, I'm not the best at picking out models. It will be written in the case back. If I'm right, it would have a calibre 601 probably, and these are top quality movements. I'd expect it to be late sixties with that design and Seamasrer font.

Yes, I'd give it to a watchmaker but, easy for me to say as that's what I am... I can understand you wanting to be involved but, it's easy to screw things up so, I'd limit yourself to "outside the case" - polywatch on the crystal, case cleaning, straps and so on.

I would not advise sending it to Omega based on comments here, or anyone not used to working on vintage watches.

Cheers, Chris

KingCrouchy and Shabbaz like this.
  17. machamp6650 Sep 27, 2019

Thanks for the advice Chris! I'll give you an update once I've got the caseback off.

18. machamp6650 Sep 27, 2019

Thanks to everyone for your time and advice to this vintage novice.

Based on the comments I intend to leave the Seamaster 600 alone until it can get the full treatment from an independent watchmaker. While I've tinkered with watches before, I'd best trust a professional to preserve this watch for now and generations to come.

I'll be sure to post some before and after pics as things unfold.

Cheers, Mark

19. machamp6650 Mar 6, 2020

Thought I'd give a brief update - my grandfather's 135.011 was given a sympathetic service by a repairer with an omega parts account and since returned to me. Only needed a new hesalite and crown, and has kept perfect time since. It's my oldest, smallest, and only gold watch, but I'm wearing it right now and loving it.

20200207_234917.jpg

tamura and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. machamp6650 Mar 6, 2020

Oh and by the way @Shabbaz - the repairer dealt with the springbars while I was there, and yes he did use exactly these...

843133-8503fd0be523681d4bf77a71b5281dba.jpg

Shabbaz likes this.