Forums Latest Members

Home cleaning of gold plated bulova

1. Sidnos Aug 15, 2019

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I’m still very new to posting on forums!

I’ve just acquired a cheap bulova super Seville, which, whilst the case, dial and crystal are almost flawless the gold plated strap is quite grubby and has some links where the plating is wearing off.

The whole thing could do with a shine and seeing as not “high end” am not too precious about it, however, at the same time I don’t want to lose too much plating via a hardcore polish!

Any suggestions on how to give it a general/gentle shine up, clean and tidy at home?

Hope all had/having a great day and thanks for reading!

James

2. Mac5 Aug 15, 2019

3. Sidnos Aug 16, 2019

Thanks Mac5!

Ill try a gentle soap and cotton bud and give this a whirl if no joy (sure I can source from the UK!)

Appreciate the response though as understand not the most "sexy" of threads on here ;-)

James

Mac5 likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 16, 2019

You could probably try Town Talk Gold Polishing Cloth, available in the UK.

Here's their website. https://towntalkpolish.com/

It'd be a good idea to give it an ultrasonic after to remove any polishing residue which could lead to wear and tear.

5. Sidnos Aug 16, 2019

Great thanks!

Ill give my local jeweller a try to see if he has an ultrasonic bath... surely not too expensive for just the strap!

James