International Shipping Help, US to Italy

I browsed through the Best Shipping Practices thread and believe I located at least one of the problems I'm running into - harmonized tariff numbers. Very possibly I'm making other errors through an excess of caution blended with general ignorance.

I want to ship a Zodiac Olympos, a vintage one, from the US to Italy. This is not an expensive watch, but it's a watch.

Someone advised using a "precision parts" harmonized # in the Best Practices. I google that and I'm seeing nuclear parts. If I were a customs guy I would see a red flag.

I want to create a UPS label online with the most innocuous and least potential cost for my recipient.

I've shipped watches internationally in the past, once to Sweden with USPS and that was pretty painless. However, I read negative things about the Italian postal system so I'm thinking a private carrier.

I used eBay's global ship service once but something changed there and decided not to use what it is now.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

IIRC back when I was doing a lot of international shipping using Parcel Pro/FedEx their default for watches was "precision instrument".

Like 3
Hi, I’m in Ireland (EU as well obviously). I’ve had watch-related items shipped from outside the EU (Japan and Australia) that were returned to sender as there was no TARIC Code included on the package. To ensure this doesn’t happen I always use the linked site below to identify the correct code to include for customs purposes. I hope this helps - better safe that sorry.

https://www.taricsupport.com/nomenclature/en/9102210000.html

Like 1
Complete TARIC Code should be 10 digits. Two examples below:

TARIC Code: 4202119090
Item : Artificial leather watch box

TARIC Code: 9113200000
Item : Watch straps, watch bands and watch bracelets, and parts thereof - of base metal, whether or not gold- or silver-plated.

Like 1
That could have been the issue, I had no TARIC code entered I know. Thanks.

If I was sending a gift or selling something under a certain value - does it make any difference? Is there VAT or anything?

If memory serves, there’s an exception to having to use a TARIC code if the watch is valued at less than $2,500.

If memory serves, there’s an exception to having to use a TARIC code if the watch is valued at less than $2,500.
We don’t have tax harmonisation in the EU. Maybe that threshold applies elsewhere in the EU but not in Ireland. I had a 1175 bracelet returned to Japan and an empty watch box returned to Australia simply because there was no TARIC Code referenced on the package. To avoid unnecessary complications I’d suggest including this info when shipping into the EU.

In terms of the application of duty on gifts, here I believe the gift being imported needs to have a declared value up to €45 (including the cost of postage). Other countries may have higher thresholds - should be easy to Google this for a specific country.

Like 1
One thing you don't want to do is have Arnold Schwarzenegger deliver the watch for you, the fines and taxes will kill you.

Like 2
I’ve done a couple of watches to Italy with no issues including a Speedmaster. Two suggestions:

Don’t do it online, take the extra time to go to the carrier. They generally know what they are doing and can help make sure it’s done right.

It costs more but DHL is the way to go IMO. They really seem to have a handle on customs plus all they do in the US is international shipping so the employees I have encountered know what they are doing. There is a form online to fill out and bring in to the office to save a bit of time but again, just go there and do it in person. Plead ignorance on how to ship internationally.

And of course know what you want to call the contents when you are talking to the person at the counter, a watch, or measuring equipment/instrument, or the euphemism of your choice.

Like 1
Don’t do it online, take the extra time to go to the carrier. They generally know what they are doing and can help make sure it’s done right.

The cost saving, at least for UPS, by doing it online is tremendous. I thought about DHL but didn't explore the cost. I'll look into that.

The cost saving, at least for UPS, by doing it online is tremendous. I thought about DHL but didn't explore the cost. I'll look into that.
If saving money is the goal don’t look at DHL.

Like 1
I have never had to tell the shipper any codes when shipping from the US to Europe. Just the value and a description of the contents, and whether it's a gift, commercial sample, etc. TBH, I'm not sure anything but the value matters.

I sold a watch to an Italian buyer about 6 weeks ago. He specifically requested DHL because of their footprint in Italy. I tried the same “precision instrument” designation which was fine but the purpose is to discourage thieves in transit. However the buyer also wanted actual declared value which I listed so now I had a “precision instrument” but also a declared value of over $7,000. This led to DHL requiring an EIN number since I was selling goods. Now I’m in their system as a business and will certainly get a 1099. If the watch was sold even or at a loss that’s a whole different story but I digress. I also saw that DHL charged the buyer over $1600 in duties before delivery. I think Italian Customs has a history of confiscating items that are undervalued and he paid accordingly.

Like 1