Forums Latest Members

Interesting Youtube article on Accutron Astronaut and the X-15 project

1. OmegaP99 Aug 20, 2020

I've also found some serial numbers for these in the CIA library but don't actively search them out. In your research did you also find documents that had the serial numbers redacted for watches on certain missions? I wonder if these are the same as the known pieces or totally different watches altogether.

I've also decided to get ahead of the curve and have been requesting issued watches from friends currently tasked. I have one incoming in the next few weeks. While I think these modern digital pieces aren't as cool as other watches I collect, I also feel like these Accutrons were viewed in much the same way back then. Just a tool to get the job done.

I was just watching The Fallen Astronaut documentary on Amazon Prime last night and Al Worden (RIP) mentioned how astronauts were "smuggling" items on board for later resale and one of them carried some Bulovas that were never listed on the manifest. Has anyone found any info on these specific watches or who ended up with them?
    A very cool documentary if you're into space stuff!
    719BaJ+ZI6L._RI_.jpg

bobbee, DaveK, pdxleaf and 1 other person like this.
  2. OmegaP99 Aug 20, 2020

Imagine finding the strap for one of these too!

tumblr_p3gsqq39T01wnbgw6o1_1280.jpg

bobbee, DaveK, Waltesefalcon and 2 others like this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 20, 2020

That strap made headline news...
    In November 1962, newspapers heralded Bulova's world record for making the longest watch strap as their bespoke 44 cm long strap made of special nylon webbing similar to seat belt material allowed the Accutron wrist watch to be worn over the forearm of X-15 pilots' pressure suit.
    In October 2020 we'll celebrate 60 years of the microsonic tuning fork GMT pilot watch :thumbsup:

Waltesefalcon, bobbee and OmegaP99 like this.
  4. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Aug 20, 2020

Do you know if these flown versions were AA versions or some BAA versions?

Did any ABAs get into space? (Also, why sometimes ABA and others BAA?)

"Acutron Astronaut" (AA),
    "Acutron Bulova Astronaut" (ABA)
    "Bulova Acutron Astronaut" (BAA).

bobbee likes this.
  5. OmegaP99 Aug 20, 2020

No I have not found this info anywhere in my research other than the watches being simply described in CIA records as "Watch, Accutron, S/N XXXXX" which isn't definitive. I keep hoping to find an image in the archives somewhere, tho images are very often degraded in these older records. I am about to start digging through AF records as well and see what I can come up with now that this thread has reinvigorated my interest. I asked a friend to check an internal database, but as expected, the request was politely declined. lol

bobbee, Waltesefalcon and pdxleaf like this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 21, 2020

In late 1962, Bulova decided to add "Astronaut" on the dial of the Accutron wrist watch in honor of the X-15 pilots and Mercury 7 astronauts.
    This being said, go to photoblog to find many images ---> https://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive

In summary:
    All Mercury 7 astronauts and the X-15 pilots received an Accutron microsonic GMT pilot watch...
    I have photos of at least 8 of the 12 X-15 pilots wearing the watch:
    Adams, Armstrong, Dana, Engle, Knight, Rushworth, Walker & White ... names in bold = photo not during pre- or post X-15 flight, others in pressure suit during actual flight research.
    They received the 2-line Accutron Astronaut version:
    1965_X15.jpg
    Photos of the Mercury 7 astronauts wearing the early 1-line version Accutron and flying the 2-line Accutron Astronaut version in space !
    (Grissom and Young on Gemini III and Cooper on MA-9 and Gemini V)

Also, check these posts:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/55-years-ago-compared-in-space-omega-versus-bulova.74917/
    and
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/accutron-214-astronaut.85321/
    and
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-reveals-about-the-nasa-space-program-watch-choice.42644/page-5
    :coffee:
    Here're some photo blow-ups: 1963 MA-9, 1965 Gemini III and 1983 STS-7 Challenger
    Cooper wore his Accutron Astronaut on MA-9 and Gemini V after which he gave and Accutron Astronaut to cosmonaut Pavel Belyayev during a meeting in Athens - Greece in September 1965
    MA-9.jpg 1965_Gem3.jpg STS-7.jpg

bobbee, Waltesefalcon and OmegaP99 like this.
  7. prontoprint Aug 21, 2020

I so love the history of this watch. Here's mine dated 1963 and a AA version, J93859 . Doubt it's a CIA one though ;-)

Bulova - 1.jpg Bulova - 2.jpg

bobbee, SpeedyPhill and Waltesefalcon like this.
  8. OmegaP99 Aug 21, 2020

@SpeedyPhill Excellent info, thank you! Such an exciting storyline with these.
    @prontoprint That's a real looker! Does not match the serial numbers I have, the ones I found all started with A-7XXXX, B-8XXXX, or H-2XXXX.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  9. prontoprint Aug 21, 2020

Phew, I can sleep safely tonight and not worry about a knock at the door !!

OmegaP99 likes this.
  10. OmegaP99 Aug 21, 2020

You're good, they don't knock first. :thumbsup:

11. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Aug 21, 2020

That really is clean. Plus it has the baton hands, which seems to be the Merc7 versions. I am considering purchasing a 1963 but it has spade hands (like the 1983 picture above.) Torn. Authenticity versus rarity and condition?

Looks like they added Bulova for the BAA three line in 1965. Still don't know anything about the reversed "Accutron Bulova Astronaut" that was featured in a Hodinkee article. Just guessing that maybe it was reversed from BAA for overseas market? Total speculation.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 22, 2020

We all know that the astronauts enjoyed the NASA-issued Omega Speedmaster chronograph, but many preferred the Accutron Astronaut GMT or even the Rolex GMT-master pilot watches... they were pilots after all !
    Moreover when they were given a wristwatch as a present, during public events or ceremonies, it was often an Accutron pilot watch ! Perhaps obvious to be given such a gift in the USA ...
    Here's astronaut Alan Shepard together with Edward White admiring an Accutron watch they were presented with...
    :thumbsup:
    Astronaut_JBchampion.jpg

Edited Aug 22, 2020
  13. prontoprint Aug 22, 2020

Just found photos of one I've just put in local auction house.

Looks like it could possibly be a re-dial due to various sizes of letters on Accutron and Astronaut . It does look poorly handwritten but not quite sure how they compare to each other. That's why I decided to get this go one.

1964 ( M4 ) K82507

P1022364.jpg

P1022351.jpg

P1022354.jpg

14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 22, 2020

55 years ago ... Charles Pete Conrad summarised the Gemini V mission as " 8 days in a garbage can "
    Besides the NASA-issued Speedmaster ( Conrad 2 & Cooper 1 ), Pete Conrad wore his personal Glycine Airman GMT pilot watch, Gordon Cooper wore his Accutron Astronaut microsonic tuning fork GMT pilot watch.
    1965.jpg

Waltesefalcon and OmegaP99 like this.
  15. palatine Sep 23, 2020

the video is not playable anymore?!.
    unless its my crappy puter thats not working right
    @prontoprint
    i bought your watch it seems
    6abfba70-8d36-4e3c-b57f-ac2b00f8fd16.jpg

prontoprint likes this.
  16. redpcar Sep 23, 2020

Bummer. It is gone :(

17. prontoprint Sep 24, 2020

That is/was my watch . Congratulations. Hope you enjoy it for many years. It was just treated to a complete overhaul by Rob Berkavicius in Thailand for $300 so should be good for many years to come.

palatine likes this.
  18. palatine Sep 24, 2020

fantastic
    it came with a "post it" note saying as much

19. bobbee Sep 24, 2020

It looks like you found the same documents I did!
    I have found several docs with redacted s/n's, also docs that show different watches for main pilot, reserve pilot and 2nd. reserve pilot.

Great images you have posted, love your work.

Bob.

20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 27, 2024