Interesting Tiffany and Co signed Constellation

I found this watch being sold today, has anyone seen anything like this before? I've seen companies sign dials before but never Tiffany on an Omega. Do we think the dial is original?

Do we think the dial is original?

I’d kinda expect Tiffany & Co to use something other than a sharpie to sign a dial of a watch.

The signature looks different than other examples too if you google "Tiffany and co signed Omega watch"

I'd bet this is authentic

Those signs aren't protected by the lacquer layer, sharpie effect might've come later on

I respectfully disagree. Tiffany printing is way off center and in odd location. They would never do something with such poor quality.
gatorcpa

Regardless of the dial (which I think has been tampered with) the watch has been heavily polished and with a pain back is not at all desirable.

I didn't have any interest in buying it but for anyone wondering it sold for $1,500 + a buyer's premium.

I didn't have any interest in buying it but for anyone wondering it sold for $1,500 + a buyer's premium.
The buyer got it at a good price for a solid gold (14K or 18K) pie pan Constellation. Most have been selling for close to double that amount.

Certainly condition is a big factor here.
gatorcpa

It's meh

The reason I don't believe this is not original is that I don't want to believe anyone is delusional enough to get an uncommon assumably 14K US market watch made to be engraved, have the ability to stamp dials, and just stamp it to scam

Makes more sense that such a person would more easily find a steel watch for cheaper and do a better job then whoever did this originally

I respectfully disagree. Tiffany printing is way off center and in odd location. They would never do something with such poor quality.
gatorcpa

+1

The reason I don't believe this is not original is that I don't want to believe anyone is delusional enough to get an uncommon assumably 14K US market watch made to be engraved, have the ability to stamp dials, and just stamp it to scam
I think you underestimate some people’s greed and ignorance.
gatorcpa

The reason I don't believe this is not original is that...

Do you really believe that Tiffany would accept this quality?

If the base dial is original, I'd put $500 on this being an "original Tiffany intended stamp" if I could win $1000 if it ends up being original

Tiffany is just a commissioner boutique, I think it's more believable that something like this came to be rather than someone with an 14K having a weird inferiority syndrome, or a bipolar flipper who's unaware that the Omega vintage market is as good as dead financially with an access to someone who can stamp dials

Look at it from a different angle:
How many original Omega boutique dials have you seen?
How many original Omega dials with fake boutique stamps have you seen?

For me it's 100+ vs. maybe 1 or none

For rare boutique dials, it's 3-4 vs. none

Fake boutique stamps I've seen were always on redials

But I've just been around for 3 years and only have limited sampling

So, to summarize, you have only been around for three years, have seen a limited number of "boutique" dials, including one or possibly zero fake signatures, don't understand why someone might fake one, despite the fact that such double-signed watches can sell for significantly more than a more common variation, and are ignoring the actual physical evidence which suggests that this particular signature is not likely original.

Have I missed anything?

Yeah you basically missed the entire analysis

Show me 5 fake signatures on original unrestored dials

No, it doesn't work that way.

There can be no serious analysis without addressing the signature itself, so the onus is on you to show other examples with similarly crude lettering, and a signature that is very clearly not centered.

Perhaps there are some out there, but I'm assuming that Tiffany (and Turler, Gubelin, Beyer, etc.) were more careful than that.

It doesn't work that way when you're cornered, what I claim is that this could be an "original Tiffany intended stamp"

Anyway time could ultimately settle this argument at one point in the future someone could order an extract for this watch and we can have more insight

For now it seems more likely to me that this either somehow retailed in a Tiffany somewhere, or they indeed shot it down and possibly the discarded dial lived on

There's no reference of centering for this specific model, but you can google "C6865" to see how hideous a watch that Tiffany retailed can be, and observe that they later on chose another 14K flat caseback model

It doesn't work that way when you're cornered, what I claim is that this could be an "original Tiffany intended stamp"

"Cornered", or did you mean "concerned"? In either case, and again, there can be no serious analysis without addressing the quality of signature itself.

What does "original Tiffany intended stamp" mean? That it was an original stamp, and their QC allowed it to pass? If that's your contention, then surely there should be other (poor) examples.

There's no reference of centering for this specific model,

I'm not limiting a search to this model. Feel free to find a single example of equally poor centering on any model.

I've just viewed six or seven of the "C6865" models, and every one appeared to be very well centered. Here's an example: