Forums Latest Members

Interesting sales pitch...

1. Capt Cave Man Jun 30, 2020

So, I'm browsing fleebay toying with the idea of buying a modern Speedy and came across a watch originally bought in Dec 2018... mmm... sellers photo's are a little blurred, better check the details... pay directly with no protection, mmm...:confused:

Someone needs to own up... who on OF annoyed this guy... so, how do you go about buying this seller :whistling:

Terms and conditions
    Payment by direct bank payment only I do not accept PayPal.
    Please note do not waste my time or your time if you are Not prepared to pay by bank transfer
    Further note to time wasters
    This specific listing seems to be attracting a glut of time wasters - like wasps to a bottle of strawberry jam on a picnic . If you cannot actually afford a moonwatch and are feeling lonely - I suggest you join the Omega forums and have a conversation with like-minded Individuals- rather Than asking me for twenty five photos under a microscope at 10 to 50 times magnification Or asking me for diary entries how many times I have worn the watch .My own personal favourite - A TW enquiring what day and time a faint scratch occurred on the clasp - the location where it happened and then Asking WHY I scratched the clasp plus then asking would I do a swap with his seiko !

Omega.png
    mcemeren, Linzer, queriver and 8 others like this.
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 30, 2020

I still have that Seiko if anyone wants to trade for their speedy :rolleyes:

Linzer, George.A, 0uss and 21 others like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 30, 2020

Ha ha. If the seller posted crappy photos like that they deserve all the messages -- I'd want to see it better just to know it wasn't a fake.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. ExpiredWatchdog Jul 1, 2020

Oh, please post the link so we can all pummel him with requests for decent pictures.

PS - It's fake.

DaveK likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Jul 1, 2020

So I agree with him about the tire- kickers, if it’s been worn it’s been scratched. If it’s older than 20 years old and has ever been for a professional service prior to the 90’s- it’s been polished. If it ever went back to Omega, parts have been replaced.
    But if you want $3k+ from someone- you’re gonna have to do a little dance for it.

DaveK and SpikiSpikester like this.
  6. Screwbacks Jul 1, 2020

yeah, it's not even good enough magnified. more photos is a must.

IMG_20200701_192235.png

7. buramu Jul 1, 2020

That almost-upside-down-but-not-quite paperweight coin thing is triggering all sorts of OCD...

Dor_42 likes this.
  8. Shabbaz Jul 1, 2020

Haha

DaveK and Lucasssssss like this.
  9. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jul 1, 2020

Here's the link, but I'd think twice about pummeling the man with requests. There are plenty of pictures, and if this is a fake it's the best I've yet seen. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sp...rentrq:0b0d2cb61730ada58a9033ddfffe82b4|iid:1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

ExpiredWatchdog likes this.
  10. Socks Jul 1, 2020

"Quite happy to dump the box in the nearest skip and just send you everything else if you don’t want the box . The huge box obviously causes huge stress if you live in a small flat"

The presentations dept at Omega will be feeling a little deflated...

11. JwRosenthal Jul 1, 2020

Can’t say I disagree- I hate the huge boxes and waste- I was very happy with small clamshell boxes- I need a friggin closet to store my damn empty watch boxes now!

ChiefMark likes this.
  12. ChiefMark Jul 1, 2020

My first Omega came in a red clamshell inner box with the white outer box, and I thought THAT was overkill. After 5 or so years of ownership, I threw it all out. When I bought the Speedy (pre-owned), I just received the papers. The PO came in a ludicrous wooden box that put the packaging for the GMT to shame. It’s huge. Why? I bought a watch, and got giant packaging that I need to save I suppose, but I hate storing boxes. I guess that market research must show the elaborate packaging is part of the experience or they wouldn’t do it.

Does anyone actually use these boxes to keep their watch in? I can only see doing that if I had ONE watch.

13. JwRosenthal Jul 1, 2020

If Omega really wanted to up their watch box game, they would make the insert removable and offer a 10 watch divided insert with pillows that allowed you to actually use the thing on your dresser.

In fact- although it may be considered heresy among collectors, but has anyone modified their box inserts (gutted) then fabricated a divided insert?

DaveK likes this.
  14. queriver Jul 1, 2020

Anyone here tried turning it into a bed for unwanted guests asking to stay over in their small flat?

15. queriver Jul 1, 2020

I recall a thread here from someone who did exactly that and it looked great.
    EDIT: It was @watchstick_81 . Here's a link to his thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-moonwatch-box-modification.89823/

Edited Jul 1, 2020
    BlackTalon likes this.
  16. ExpiredWatchdog Jul 1, 2020

I based my comment on the single fuzzy picture you posted. I did take a look at his pictures on the link though and it looks pretty good. But it sure has a lot of dirt between the links and around the end link for a watch that's only been out of the box a few times.

madjestikmoose likes this.
  17. ExpiredWatchdog Jul 1, 2020

What, made it into a bed for unwanted guests?

queriver likes this.
  18. queriver Jul 1, 2020

:thumbsup:

19. WYO_Watch Jul 1, 2020

haha I like a guy with a little sarcasm. I’ve had several bizarre trade offers as well....

But I’m partial to my oversized box :thumbsup:

E7AFAEBD-24E4-42AD-B950-E332AAA53CF1.jpeg 75FACF41-E786-4A4A-9C96-C2C8B3690570.jpeg

mcemeren, Socks, Dor_42 and 4 others like this.
  20. ChiefMark Jul 1, 2020

Well done! That works so well it’s like they meant for it to be done.

WYO_Watch and JwRosenthal like this.