Forums Latest Members

Interested in a Seamaster De Ville 1970, help appreciated

1. PNP Aug 19, 2019

Hi, my name's Pekka. I'm from Finland and I just joined the forum!

My sister is getting married this fall and I'm using this occation as my justification to finally get a nice dress watch to wear with my suit. I'm sure you understand, as the bride's brother I can't be wearing just any watch ;)

This Seamaster De Ville really caught my eye. Info from the seller:
    Reference number: 135020 CD SP (C.B)
    Model: Seamaster De Ville
    Year: 1970
    Caliber: 601
    Material: Gold on steel
    Note: Case back had an engraving which was removed.

Supposedly it is serviced, asking for $790. They claim it to be all original. Omega logo is visible in the crystal.

Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts on the watch? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to vintage watches so any comments are appreciated.

After comparing a huge amount of photos I think that the dial looks genuine. However, I didn't see any photos with these exact hands, they might be replacements (is that really that bad?). The removed engraving from the back probably hurts the value, but I find the watch already cheaper than other similar listings. So is the removal in the end okay?

I also noticed that the dial says Swiss Made with the letter T. Is the T right here? I don't see any lume dots, but I found some forum posters claiming that sometimes this is the case.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-de-ville-omega-st-135-0020

Pekka

2. Rochete Aug 19, 2019

Lume dots are there at the outter tip of each hour marker and hands smaller strip. Crown is a replacement. Overpolished back really hurts my eyes. Price is OK-ish considering it's retail but Im sure there are better pieces right now on sale on the PSF.

3. PNP Aug 19, 2019

Huh, other similar watches had the lume dots much more prevalent so I couldn't recognize them. Thank you!

4. PNP Aug 20, 2019

I've been thinking about the comment, yeah the back is pretty terrible. However, the front side is pristine. I'm feeling a bit unsure if the back is really a problem for me if the price is right. Need to carefully consider this...

I'll also need to check and follow the PSF, after a quick look I wasn't quite able to find something to my liking within the EU. Importing from elsewhere would be quite expensive.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

EDIT: I decided to pass up this one, thanks Rochete for bringing some sense into me.

Edited Aug 21, 2019