Installing current gen rubber on original Seamaster Pro

I thought I would do a bit of a write up on the details around fitting the current generation Seamaster Professional/Diver 300M rubber straps to first generation 1990's and early 2000's Seamaster Professional 41mm references. Some other members have posted before in comments that this does fit, but the consensus is that it is a tight fit, and there is talk of different spring bars or potential damage. I decided to provide a little bit more specific detail in a dedicated thread.

So, firstly, this applies to the two piece straps currently on Omega's website for Seamaster Diver 300M models, formerly known as Seamaster Professional 300M. My specific example is listed as SKU 032CVZ010127. They're designed for current Seamaster models and fit them perfectly, with flush lugs and perfect springbar placement. If you want to fit those straps to older first generation Seamaster Professional 300M models, such as the Bonds (2541.80 and 2531.80) or Peter Blake (2254.50) or others with 41mm cases, this post covers that. I think the mid cycle refresh applied dial co-axial references (2220.80 and others) must also work, but can't speak for any Planet Oceans or the ceramic dial SMPc models.

Long story short, the current gen straps do fit the 41mm first gen SMP, but it isn't a perfect fit. The curvature is slightly different from the lugs, the height is slightly lower than the bezel, and yes - the springbars are very slightly out of place. The good news is, all of these differences are very slight and it totally does work and look great on wrist. Importantly, you can use the correct original springbars, and you won't damage them or the watch. But it is fiddly, and it can take a few minutes per side to get the strap attached.

The reason for the difficulty, as far as I can tell, is that the springbar holes are either further out, or higher, or a combination of both compared to the newer references. So you have to angle the inner lip of the strap down a little bit to lift the point where the springbar is up by barely enough (Less than 1mm probably) to locate the springbar tips in the holes. This probably puts a tiny bit of extra pressure on them, but from what I can tell nowhere near enough that I would stress about damaging them. Consider that with many bracelets, there is a little bit of play which would be pulling on the springbar barrels during wear anyway - I don't think that's any different here.

I found the best way to install them was to position one springbar tip in one lug, and then compress the tip on the other side and angle it down to get it almost in place, then just very carefully kind of "hunt around" with it adjusting the angle and position slightly until the tip manages to find its hole and click into place. This took me a few minutes and several slips out of the lug (Thumb applying pressure from dial side of lug so if it slips out it does so on the underside) but I imagine once you had more experience with it, you could probably do the strap change in a couple of minutes.

End result is a snug fit, with a very slight downward angle, but not enough to notice. You could maybe get an improved fit with curved springbars, but personally I think it's about as good as it can be with the included springbars. Speaking of, I measured these - Omega supply springbar 068ST2207 for 20 mm rubber. This is the exact same part number they supply for the standard 20 mm bracelet. Usually they supply a slightly longer barrel springbar for straps meant for 20 mm lugs, but I think they're supplying the bracelet part because the rubber strap fills the entire lug space like a bracelet does, so the strap springbar (068ST2208) with a 1mm longer barrel would be too hard to install and remove.

Finally, just a general review of the strap beyond fitment, it is excellent. The rubber looks great, it's really soft and comfortable, the buckle is absolutely amazing and matches the lyre lugs, and it came in the same fancy travel case style packaging as the NATOs do when bought online. I didn't pay for the optional spring bar tool this time, but they still included it - woohoo, a spare. It felt a bit firm to put on at first because the keepers are a bit restrictive, especially the titanium reinforced fixed keeper, but you get the hang of it really quickly. I have an 18 cm (7.1") wrist and I'm wearing it snug but not tight on the third from smallest hole.

In summary, though it can be annoying to install, I highly recommend the current gen rubber strap on OG Bond Seamasters. There is no risk of damage or need to get different springbars, and the shape discrepancy is very subtle and not noticeable on wrist.

Looks good, I also used to have a different type of blue strap & clasp (genuine omega ) for this watch , if I am not mistaken. It f I remember correct it was folding clasp

Looks good, I also used to have a different type of blue strap & clasp (genuine omega ) for this watch , if I am not mistaken. It f I remember correct it was folding clasp

I was going to mention there was an original rubber and clasp option for the early Bonds, but the post already felt too long. It's part number 97988082 with clasp part number 94531803. Personally, I think the newer straps look far better. There are deployant versions of the current straps too, although then you lose the really nice looking keepers with the recessed lettering.

I tried to fit the current strap to a Gen 3 SMPc and it was no go. I was using skinny bars but the hole placement just wouldn't allow it to mount correctly. The fundamental problem is that the current strap is curved for a 42mm case and the earlier watches are all 41mm though the depth differs. I didn't try curved bars but as you say that might help.

Fingers crossed you'll be fine with it on the original model but I have experience in the past of fitting a strap rubber like this that doesn't quite fit and needs forcing on, they are constantly under compression and can eventually pop off with disastrous consequences so personally I just wouldn't go there. YMMV

I had this with my 2531.80

Though I preferred it on the bracelet

And occasionally on the Zealande rubber strap

I tried to fit the current strap to a Gen 3 SMPc and it was no go. I was using skinny bars but the hole placement just wouldn't allow it to mount correctly. The fundamental problem is that the current strap is curved for a 42mm case and the earlier watches are all 41mm though the depth differs. I didn't try curved bars but as you say that might help.

Good info, thanks. Just on the diameter, it's worth noting that while you're right, 1mm over a 42 mm circle is an error of about 2% across the whole watch - it's not much of a difference in case curvature at the lugs, certainly less than is visible to the eye. Visually, the strap is perfectly flush with the curvature of the case itself and so is applying pressure evenly at the case. The key difference for fitment is the curvature of the lugs, which is independent of the diameter.

Fingers crossed you'll be fine with it on the original model but I have experience in the past of fitting a strap rubber like this that doesn't quite fit and needs forcing on, they are constantly under compression and can eventually pop off with disastrous consequences so personally I just wouldn't go there. YMMV

This was part of why I made the thread, a lot of existing comments where owners had done this were a bit vague about what "tight" means. Omega offer free returns, and this Seamaster is particularly sentimental to me, I wouldn't keep the strap if I didn't have full confidence in it.

Basically, what I'm trying to get at, is the springbars are not really under significant tension. You're not so much forcing the springbars by compressing the rubber as you are just hunting around with a light amount of pressure, trying to find the correct angle to find the holes. I'm not disputing there is a little pressure on the bars, but I don't think it's much. And certainly nowhere near enough to bend or break them - were that the case, you'd snap them on a bracelet every time you bent your wrist. You can visually see the tips are not being bent in relation to the barrel, and you can still very easily actuate them with a springbar removal tool, which would be difficult I'd think if they were under a lot of tension.

At the end of the day, yes, Omega don't list this strap as compatible, and it is trickier to put on than the bracelet - so no doubt, the fit is imperfect. But having put it on and taken it off a couple of times today to test it out, I just don't see any cause for concern. In a sense, I am literally betting my watch on it. But it's up to everyone else, I guess, to make a decision for themselves based on the info provided.

Digged in my photo archive..not the best photo but here’s mine with the „old“ rubber strap, looked awesome back then

Digged in my photo archive..not the best photo but here’s mine with the „old“ rubber strap, looked awesome back then

Thanks, quite a different aesthetic. Reminds me of a wetsuit, maybe that was the idea.

In person this straps looks very nice, back then I left the steel bracelet in the drawer and only used this

I had this with my 2531.80

I have the same strap for my 2220.80 that I bought separately. Little known is that there was a reference for the Bond Seamaster that came with the rubber strap instead of the bracelet but wasn't a big seller. Nearly all of the Bond Seamaster sales were bracelet for a variety of reasons.

I sometimes have wondered what watch picture could look pure early 90s in the truest sense.

I no longer wonder.
Edited:

i tried to get the newest rubber strap (032CVZ010126) model on my Peter Blake 2054.50 and it wouldn't go with the omega 1.8mm bars. i would have had to push it into the hole, stretching the rubber...
I didnt try with a 1.5mm bar but i may later if I can get a decent quality one soon.
just my experience

i tried to get the newest rubber strap (032CVZ010126) model on my Peter Blake 2054.50 and it wouldn't go with the omega 1.8mm bars. i would have had to push it into the hole, stretching the rubber...
I didnt try with a 1.5mm bar but i may later if I can get a decent quality one soon.
just my experience

Interesting, thanks. I googled the 2054.50, Omega list it as 41.5 mm, vs 41 mm for the more traditionally known Peter Blake 2254.50 and the Bond 2531/2541.50. Perhaps your lug dimensions are slightly different? For me, it definitely worked with the 1.8 mm bars.

When I saw the title of this thread "Installing a rubber on a Seamaster" I thought you meant something like this:

I don't have a Seamaster so had to make do

When I saw the title of this thread "Installing a rubber on a Seamaster" I thought you meant something like this:

aaah, the ol' "christopher Walken" model speedmaster

Interesting, thanks. I googled the 2054.50, Omega list it as 41.5 mm, vs 41 mm for the more traditionally known Peter Blake 2254.50 and the Bond 2531/2541.50. Perhaps your lug dimensions are slightly different? For me, it definitely worked with the 1.8 mm bars.
the 2054 and 2254 are the same watches, only difference is the bracelets, although the specs are listed differently, they use the same case. one is an older generation apparently. the strap is pretty new and the holes are tight.
ill try the slimmer springbars, it was co very close to fitting, I just didnt wanna force it as it would put stress on the springbar.
I have other rubber straps but like the newest seamaster version.
interestingly, the 032CVZ010126 strap fits my 2500 planet ocean and X-33, although not perfectly against the cases.

A water proof Speedy!

A water proof Speedy!
Maybe if you fυck it up at least it won’t make you pregnant