Forums Latest Members

Inherited a Speedmaster Professional ST 145.022 69' (First Post)

1. Law18 Oct 23, 2017

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my 1969 Omega Speedmaster Professional ST 145.022 with an 861 calibre. I inherited this from my father very recently who died at the young age of 52. I do not intend on selling it, and feel very privileged to have inherited it. Though I own several other watches, one of note is a 1965 Omega Seamaster 600 with a Red Cross, that I bought at 17. Since then I'd always wanted a Speedmaster, I just didn't expect to own one so soon (I'm 20). I know the importance of this model, its collectability, value and heritage, and never intend on selling it, especially as it is now an heirloom.

I doubt I will actually do this, though I've had some fleeting thoughts of replacing the dial and hands (with genuine parts) to restore some functionality of the illumination, while keeping everything else original and retaining those original parts that are replaced, as I want this to be my primary watch for any occasion. It's a very versatile watch, particularly when partnered with different bands/straps. I know it would be sacrilege and I doubt it will do it, but part of me would like to, knowing I'll own this watch until I myself pass it onto the next generation, by which time it really will be quite aged.

I do have the original case back for the watch by the way.

Horology has always been apart of my family, on my mother side my grandfather was a watchmaker by trade.

20171017_112603.jpg 20171021_182129.jpg 20171021_211819.jpg
    Edited Oct 23, 2017
  2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 23, 2017

Now that is a good first post and sorry for the mockery in the other one: https://omegaforums.net/threads/inh...l-st-145-022-69-first-post.65349/#post-821779 :)

Welcome and sorry for your loss. Lost my dad last year as well. There was a thread created where some of us shared stories or missing your dad's. https://omegaforums.net/threads/anyone-here-miss-their-dad.64702/

Nice Speedy. For me I would definitely leave it as it is. I really don't use the lume that much, except to play with when I'm bored :) Looks great on the JB btw. What is the top strap?

Wish all the best.

marco, CTS-V, AveConscientia and 2 others like this.
  3. Law18 Oct 23, 2017

Thanks Togri v. 2.0, as I mentioned in the original thread, the webpage crashed upon posting it and I thought the whole thread was gone, it appears the thread is still there, but only a tiny portion of what I wrote.

That's unfortunate, there is nothing like losing a father, I'll be sure to look through that thread.

The more I think about it the more I am inclined to leave it as is, as you say you don't use the lume that much and I think in reality I probably wouldn't either, the watch predominately gets worn during the day anyway.

Thanks, I like the JB though it would be nice to get one that was the correct width, though I know the JB I have on the watch is 'correct' for the JB that is famous with the watch, worn by Neil Armstrong etc in the period.

The other strap is a Velcro NATO strap by GasGasBones, an English business who hand makes them to order. I intend on getting a Black NATO strap from GasGasBones from the watch as well as a good quality leather band, perhaps a nice Tan or Brown one.

neilfrancis likes this.
  4. trackpad Oct 23, 2017

Also sorry for your loss. I agree wholeheartedly with @Togri v. 2.0 – I wouldn't change a thing. Not out of respect for or in memory of your dad, but because I think it looks better than new service parts would look. As for the functionality, do what sensible humans do and use a phone to tell time in the dark.

Having said that, if you really don't enjoy the patina, and prefer the look of a new watch instead – then by all means make the replacements. It's meant to be enjoyed, and I am sure that is what your dad would want. Just make sure to keep the replaced parts ...and then just get on with enjoying it.

P.S. Helluva wheel shot there to start off with.

marco and Law18 like this.
  5. Law18 Oct 23, 2017

Thanks trackpad. That's some very good advice and I appreciate your opinion, which is very considered. To be honest I think keeping it original though looking after it, servicing it and being careful with it is the best thing to do. Good point regarding the phone and the time. If I really want one that is luminescent than I think buying a modern Speedmaster Professional for those occasions is more sensible, if I really have to have a Speedy for those occasions.

I thought the BMW M140i would be a good compliment to the watch, because it is mechanical, very sporty and performance oriented, with gauges in the background, all things relatable to the Speedmaster Professional, whose heritage is grounded in functionality and motorsport too, to a degree.

trackpad likes this.
  6. ATWG Oct 23, 2017

Sorry about your loss, keep it original. If you want new shiny parts, spend $3k and buy a modern Speedy.

7. Kwijibo Oct 23, 2017

Hello law18

i'm deeply sorry for your father's death at this young age.
    Concerning the watch, it's awsome. Never ever replace the dial and hands of a vintage one like this unless you find an exact same one in better condition. First of all it will lose a lot a value and the new hands and dial are not the same and will glow like hell. One rule in vintage speedies is "keep all the spare" if you change somthing.
    If you want a "christmas tree" glowing watch. Buy a recent one.

Edited Oct 24, 2017
    Law18 and gemini4 like this.
  8. gdupree Oct 23, 2017

Wow. My reply here will simply be an echo of the other responders.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your dad. As insignificant as a watch can be in the grand scheme of things, isn't it still amazing how a little machine like this can continue to remind and connect us to a loved one?

You knew the response you'd get here to changing the dial. ;). We couldn't stand for ourselves if we let you replace that. As @ATWG said, just spend a little and get a new one if you want the lume (I just had a 2017 pass on me for $2400 on ebay last night). You can pass the new one along as well if you want to contribute your part to the horological family history, and your '69 will retain vast amounts of value in the mean time.

Law18 likes this.
  9. trackpad Oct 23, 2017

Yep. Well played and well framed. And, yes... that other, somewhat overshadowed heritage. One tends to forget.

I think @ATWG nailed it – get a shiny new (and even waterproof) watch for those days you want or need it. Does not necessarily even need to be Speedmaster.

::stirthepot::

Law18 likes this.
  10. sjg22 Oct 23, 2017

It's obviously an asset, but I'm not sure the DON was factory installed by Omega on the straight writing. My understanding is that they were all DNN.

A bit odd that you've got that DON + SW combo as I believe that's not a correct factory configuration.

TsoloT likes this.
  11. alam Oct 23, 2017

and he said...

Law18 likes this.
  12. trackpad Oct 23, 2017

The DON belongs, totes factory legit.

13. sjg22 Oct 23, 2017

Missed that. Makes sense now - great watch!

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 23, 2017

0C964652-8A19-45DD-A639-159D2E288EB5.jpeg
    Speedmasters and performance BMW’s are a horrible combo ;).

Seriously great piece you have. I’d leave it all original, as a new dial will loose the wonderful warmth on the one you have. Sorry for the circumstances of relieving it, but please leave it original. Heck put back on the correct caseback, and sell that straight writing and your most of the way to a new one a few years old.

CTS-V, Law18 and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  15. Seaborg Oct 24, 2017

Amazing watch.

Keep it in good health.

Cheers.

Law18 likes this.
  16. Waltesefalcon Oct 26, 2017

Great looking watch, terrible way to come by it though. Fifty-two is far too young and I am sorry for your loss; my dad also died fairly young at fifty-six.

Law18 likes this.
  17. watchlovr Oct 26, 2017

I would sell everything else I owned before changing or selling that watch.
    It is priceless.

I urge you not to change anything on it, I assure you at some point in the future you would regret it hugely.
    Something is original only once, it can be restored countless times.

marco and Law18 like this.
  18. Maitreyoda007 Oct 26, 2017

M3 e46?

19. watchlovr Oct 27, 2017

20. Law18 Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for the overwhelming responses everyone. I will indeed be keeping the watch 100% original, with the only parts at services for the movement being changed, if they so require. The only thing I have bought for the watch is a leather band. Thank you also for the kind words and the condolences, I do appreciate it.