Forums Latest Members
  1. scott.v.c10 Apr 12, 2016

Hello,

I've come across your forum in an attempt to find some information about a watch I inherited from grandfather after his death a number of years ago. My grandfather was a hard working man who kept his best for Sunday and consequently the watch (to my untrained eye) is in excellent condition and hardly worn. I have attached a picture showing the watch, case, and booklet. Although always a possibility, I would be very surprised if it is a fake. There are a couple tiny marks/scratches I can pick out and the strap is aged but as far as I know everything is in order. Also, as far as I know this watch hasn't been worn or run in at least 10 years - possibly much longer. I think that's a shame, and why I'm hoping that someone here can help point me in the right direction so I can get it out of the memory box.

For the last number of years the only watch I've worn has been a suunto core for work - so this is way out of my experience. My internet search, and the booklet inside the case, suggest to me that it's a 1972 Seamaster. The only matching picture I could find was on another website in a 1972 Swiss catalogue. Which, unless I'm mistaken makes sense since the watch appears from the booklet to have been purchased in or imported from Switzerland?

As per the posting guide, the information I am hopeful someone here can help me with is the following:

1. Is this watch what I think it is, and are there additional parts of the name/numbers/codes that would help me better reference/identify it?

2. Does this watch need to be serviced - what kind of service should I request - do I trust the watch repair guy at the mall to do it?

3. Although very sentimental to me with little to no interest in selling, what would a ball park value be, assuming the watch is as indicated?

4. I have no idea how to wind or otherwise maintain this watch. I will be happy to use the search to look for threads to that effect, however I wonder if there is anything specific to this watch I should be aware of?

I appreciate the time that everyone has taken to read this and any insight or answers you may offer. Please let me know if there is any further clarification or additional photos I can provide.

Thank you,

Scott

Omega Watch.jpg
    tictictictoc, cmoy, jimmyjay and 7 others like this.
  2. abrod520 Apr 12, 2016

Baz9614 likes this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 12, 2016

Wow that is nice. Any close up pics, looks to be in wonderful shape.

10 years, yes will need a service.

What geographically are you located? We can maybe better guide you to a watchmaker that can better meet your needs.

4. TNTwatch Apr 12, 2016

First one today actually since this is a different and more valuable watch. Also better condition and with paperwork.

5. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Apr 12, 2016

Welcome and +1 on getting it serviced. I wouldn't trust it to the guy at the mall. The crown should wind the watch, and the chrono pushers (above and below the crown) should start, stop and reset the chrono.
    I have no clue about the value, but it looks to be mint, and I'm sure you will enjoy the watch for decades to come. As @Taddyangle said,let us know what part of the world your in, and the fine folks of the forum can help you find a competent watchmaker for servicing the watch.

6. doc2lon Apr 12, 2016

Beauty! Service it and show it off by wearing it proudly!

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 12, 2016

Scott, welcome to the forum and thank goodness you found us!

I am somewhat of a "soccer timer" lover, I've had one for 44 years.

Please don't be in any rush, read this....https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-soccer-timer-145-016-review.1768/
    and enter a clear macro picture of the dial and all sides.
    Your dial seems a little unusual and I want a better look.
    Eventually, we will have to see inside but let's be careful.

Your watch could be worth several thousand ($3-$4k US) if all checks out.
    It is a great size, a great modern look and a great movement (861).

At this point, don't let anyone, I mean anyone!, including Omega touch it !!!!!!!

My last service was over $500 US, but if cared for, your grandchild will be able to give it to his grandchild!

Please heed my advice and mine says "Hello".

IMGP3708 smaller.jpg

marturx, GregH, Nitzbar and 3 others like this.
  8. Baz9614 Apr 12, 2016

:thumbsup:Beautiful watch! I believe the correct reference for this model is the 145.019. Bottom righ crown winds the watch, top left rotates the inner bezel, and top right pusher starts and stops the chrono feature! As mentioned above, let us know your general location, and the members can suggest a sympathetic watchmaker to service the watch without swapping out cosmetic parts unnecessarily!

My 145.008 Chronostop says hi
    image.jpg

Hijak likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 12, 2016

I should clarify, we are going to want a qualified watchmaker to remove the caseback, photograph the inside of the caseback and movement and assess the condition. I was just trying to put a screeching halt to the "mall guy" or having someone unqualified touch this.

I would like to know your general location and maybe we can recommend someone.

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 12, 2016

Great watch, Baz, and good advice!

Just to clarify, crown located middle right winds and sets the time, upper right pusher starts/stops chrono and the lower right resets the chrono.

Edited Apr 12, 2016
  11. Baz9614 Apr 12, 2016

Ooops! ::facepalm2:: Of course it does. Mine is the bottom right!:thumbsdown: Thanks for correcting my oversight

12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 12, 2016

We all knew what you meant, I couldn't take my eyes off your watch either!

Just mentioned something because Scott is new here.

Baz9614 likes this.
  13. Ravineman Apr 12, 2016

Also please don't be fooled because a few other people here have one like yours, as some of them are serious collectors !
    That is a rare and very nice watch. Enjoy it !

Baz9614 likes this.
  14. ping pong patina Apr 12, 2016

very nice inheritance watch

15. scott.v.c10 Apr 12, 2016

Thank you all for the posts of welcome, pictures from your own collections, and related information! I read through the links provided and continue to become more and more intrigued by the history, value, and complexity of this piece. I am currently located in Calgary, Canada. Not sure if that is near a craftsman anyone cares to recommend. I have taken a couple closer pictures to try and give a better look. I apologize for the quality and the glare - my cell phone is all I have by way of a camera at the moment! There is a scratch to the right of the 12 o clock but anything else should just be glare. UncleBuck I'm also interested to hear if my dial is unusual good or unusual not so good!

20160412_201609.jpg 20160412_201352.jpg 20160412_201417.jpg 20160412_201516.jpg
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 13, 2016

Scott, I've sent you a private message (pm).
    Just click on the envelope at the top right.

17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 13, 2016

Not trying to kill this thread, just didn't want to gush too much and take up 6 paragraphs writing about this beauty!
    Can anyone find anything wrong beside the bezel nick at 12:10?

OP Scott is in Canada and Al @Archer is my watchmaker recommendation for people that drink Labatt's and eat back-bacon, hope you don't mind, Al.
    Preserve the strap as a legacy to Grandpa but get a new one or a bracelet for daily wear after it has been serviced!!
    Note: Change my saying "daily wear" to my saying "Very Special Occasion Wear".

Jeez, I love this watch! Hopefully, there won't be a Chinese quartz movement inside.

Let's go Blues! (Hawks tonight, boys!)

Edited Apr 13, 2016
    marturx, TNTwatch and Taddyangle like this.
  18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 13, 2016

yep, Archer seems like a "nobrainer" here :thumbsup:

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2016

@dsio will love this thread

20. TNTwatch Apr 13, 2016

Just some imperfections won't prevent us from enjoying your 6 more pages on this beauty. Accompanied by lots of pictures, please! :)