Forums Latest Members
  1. Lemonidas Apr 12, 2016

I got this Omega Seamaster in 1969, in The Netherlands (where I live). It is not in good condition anymore, chronometer does not function right. Can anyone tell my more about this specific model? Has it any value to collectors?
    Omega 2.jpg DSC_0055.JPG

Omega 4.jpg
    Edited Apr 12, 2016
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 12, 2016

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 12, 2016

Dear Lemonidas, (are you related to Leonidas? ;))

Omega made many many hundreds of models, and also many different models that looked much the same except to an expert (for example, Speedmasters).

It's hard for anyone here to give you accurate information unless one of us have an identical model in our collection.

Therefore, the most accurate way of finding out about your watch is to have the caseback opened and there will be the magic numbers. The caseback number will tell us the model, the movement serial will give an approximate date and other pics will assist us with determining condition.

Unless you have a good pair of needle nose pliers <joke!>, I would strongly suggest that you get a watchmaker to help you find this information.

It also helps if we know the history of the watch and how you came by it etc.

Good luck with your quest.

Cheers

Jim.

(I love it when a couple of Guiness'sssss makes me mellow and helpful)

:D

4. dx009 Apr 12, 2016

Keep in mind that Omegas are high quality watches and repairing/reconditioning one can cost quite a bit. (in the hundreds of dollars to say the least...)

I think your watch is an Omega Seamaster Soccer Timer similar to this one https://www.wannabuyawatch.com/product/omega-ss-seamaster-soccer-timer-circa-1969-2/

Although I don't know what you intend to do with it, given it's age, I'm pretty sure that the watch is of value. On ebay alone they seem to go for over 2-3000$ (in good working condition) but as I said, it's going to cost you a couple of hundred to repair it, probably.

You also seem to have the box which adds further value. Do you also have the papers ?

Hope it helped. :)

SpeedTar likes this.
  5. SpeedTar Apr 12, 2016

Hello,

I looks to be a Semaster with a 861 caliber inside. To my knowledge not really wanted by collector but has some value.
    Probably a 145.020

6. Lemonidas Apr 12, 2016

Thanks JimlnOz for you helpful reply. I managed to open the caseback. Inside is the following number: 145.016-68. I guess '68' means the year 1968? I bought it (or rather, my parents bought it for me as a present) in 1969, I think, at the jewelry/watch store H. ten Boom, (at that time:) Noordeinde 132, 's-Gravenhage (that's The Hague, Netherlands, where I still live).
    See the new pictures I made:
    Omega 5.jpg Omega 6.jpg

7. Lemonidas Apr 12, 2016

Also thanx to DX090 and SpeedTar. After opening, it turns out to be a 145.016, with a 861 caliber inside. See photo's. I cannot find any papers, but still have the original box. Omega 7.jpg Omega 8.jpg

8. dwndler Apr 12, 2016

9. DON Apr 12, 2016

The dial is original. Can tell just by the luminous marks that are laid down perfectly and has the proper aged color.

Also. To do a dial like that would require 4 different printing plates. Some printers have enough trouble with 2, but I can see all 4 are lined up quite nicely.

Just a crappy crystal

DON

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. dwndler Apr 12, 2016

11. TomGW Apr 12, 2016

It's certainly well worth getting serviced and a fitted with a new crystal, together with a decent, leather rally strap. It will make a nice little watch and will be money well spent.

hoipolloi likes this.
  12. cimo Apr 12, 2016

It looks to be a very nice example of an 861 powered Seamaster chrono. These are wonderful watches and, in my opinion, currently undervalued. They are still worth plenty to warrant having it serviced. Especially if it was a gift from your folks and holds sentimental value.

I'll simply add what I'm sure others will say: if you send it to omega they may update certain parts that may alter the look of your watch. If you want it to keep its current (original) appearance send it to an independent watchmaker instead.

13. novina Apr 12, 2016

Very nice watch. Caliber 861 is regarded very highly here. Of course it will need a complete service to straighten out the chrono. And of course a new crystal. But am I mistaken, or are the end links of the bracelet missing? Will be a beautiful watch once serviced though. Enjoy.

14. Davidt Apr 12, 2016

It's not a hugely sought after model, but is still of some interest to collectors.

What are your plans?

If you want to keep it for yourself or a relative, a good service will cost several hundred, but it should clean up well and be returned to full working order, suitable for daily use.

If it's of no interest to you, I'd hazard a guess that's it's worth $1000+ in this condition. An ebay search may give you a more accurate idea. If you're going to sell I'd advise investing a few quid in a tube of polywatch, which is used to polish scratches out of the crystal so buyers can get a better look at the dial. Personally I don't think its worth the effort of having it serviced prior to sale. Collectors are a funny bunch and often prefer to have it serviced by their own watchmaker.

15. TNTwatch Apr 12, 2016

Not missing since they're integrated with the bracelet. The combination is too small and incorrect for this watch, likely for the smaller Chronostops instead.

16. Lemonidas Apr 12, 2016

As I'm the owner since it was purchased, I know that the dial is original, never repaired of refinished, and in good state. But it is true there are several scratches on the crystal, and on the case too. Nothing missing of the bracelet. I took a new photo of the dial. And will try to polish the crystal a bit.
    I think I'll sell it, and it seems that eBay is the place to do so?

Omega 9.jpg

ConElPueblo likes this.
  17. dx009 Apr 12, 2016

If I were you, I would try to do some research and see how much I can get for it (since this is what you want to do) un-repaired and how much I can get for it repaired and see which one is the best choice.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2016

Whatever you do don't let anyone polish it, the case and bracelet are beautiful as they are!

Excellent taste by the way mate, well done buying a watch this cool back in '69.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  19. Ravineman Apr 12, 2016

nice watch. You sure wore the heck out of it.
    By the way, you have been given great expert advise.

20. dialstatic Apr 13, 2016

Unfortunately the bracelet is not correct for this reference. An easy tell is the gap between the end links and the case. Given the 123 end links, methinks this is an 18mm 1118 bracelet that was used on, I believe, the Omega chronostop. But the head is pretty cool, in spite of the scratched crystal & used condition. Nice watch!