Forums Latest Members
  1. Uppergumtrie Sep 27, 2022

This watch belonged to my father-in-law. He bought it in 1974 (I have the box and receipt). He died in 1988, since when I don't think it has ever been worn. It sits in a drawer in our house and occasionally comes to light before being put away again. I've now fished it out again and intend to use it. It's still going (the second hand moves) and at first I thought it was working but I see now that it's lost time. It looks in very good condition. I am a complete novice although I admire good quality watches. What do you think I should do with it as regards servicing etc.? How much do you think it's worth? I'm not thinking of selling it, but if it's worth anything I might spend more on it.

Omega watch.jpg
    flw, Duracuir1, kaplan and 4 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2022

It’s a 168.017 on brick bracelet, Cal 564. Nice watch. Very much worth servicing and taking care of.

Dan S, Fulton8or, jB1128 and 2 others like this.
  3. Uppergumtrie Sep 27, 2022

Thank you! Appreciated..

4. Uppergumtrie Sep 27, 2022

Would it be okay to take to any creditable repairer or should it go to Omega (at vast expense, no doubt)?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2022

It should go to an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account, ask that they don’t polish the watch case, just service the movement, replace seals and polish the crystal.

Dan S, pldlnr, jB1128 and 2 others like this.
  6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 27, 2022

Lovely watch and worth taking care of. If you let the Forum know where you are someone will probably know a comparatively local watch repairer. From what you’ve posted, I’d be surprised if you needed any parts but obviously that can be ascertained on service.

7. TexOmega Sep 27, 2022

very nice heirloom

No reason to stick in a drawer after service, wear it. And if you do not wish to wear, buy a display case and display.

keep box and papers as part of the display

Uppergumtrie likes this.
  8. Uppergumtrie Sep 27, 2022

Thank you, that's very helpful.

9. Uppergumtrie Sep 27, 2022

Thanks, yes, I'm in the UK - near Hinckley, Leicestershire.

10. Uppergumtrie Sep 27, 2022

I'm planning to wear it..

noelekal and TexOmega like this.
  11. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 27, 2022

Wise decision! Nice one

12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 27, 2022

I like the styling on that C-Case very much.

We're glad you appreciate it.

13. kaplan Sep 27, 2022

Such a beautiful watch to inherit, your father in law had good taste :)

If it loses let's say 5 minutes every hour, it'll likely be an impact based time loss
    If it loses time only at midnight, it'll be slipping components that can more easily be fixed
    It could just be losing a minute etc. - it's normal
    It could be just stopping every once in a while and losing time that way, this is your best bet, as a simple cleaning and oiling by a watchmaker will make it run too - if one of the later 2 is the case, you could take it to a regular competent but not Omega authorized watchmaker too

14. Dan S Sep 27, 2022