Forums Latest Members

Information regarding vintage watch

1. kristal Feb 1, 2020

Hello everyone, I just found an old watch that my grandfather had bought long ago. I would be grateful if you could provide some information regarding the brand, the condition and the value of the watch. It does not work anymore so I am thinking to go a watchmaker in order to make it usable again.
    Thanks a lot in advance!
    IMG_20200201_152500.jpg IMG_20200201_152441.jpg IMG_20200201_152356.jpg IMG_20200201_152347.jpg IMG_20200201_152342.jpg IMG_20200201_152318.jpg

IMG_20200201_152409.jpg
  2. OMEGuy Feb 1, 2020

What I can see from your pictures is a very worn watch in poor outer condition.

The brand "MIRAMAR GENEVE" is legit, they existed. I'm not knowing it exactly, but this watch should be from the late 1950s.

If the watch doesn't work, it is a good idea to have an experienced watchmaker have this fixed. There are some spots of corrosion on the movement and also damage on the dial. Most likely there has been some damage due to moisture ingress.

Biezmez likes this.
  3. Dan S Feb 1, 2020

Appears to be a Landeron 148 movement. Entry-level, but very common (literally millions were used), and most decent watchmakers should be experienced with them.

One of the lugs appears to be badly bent, and the bracelet is hanging on by a thread. That will need to be addressed, probably by a jeweler.

4. Vitezi Feb 1, 2020

Miramar was a trademark of Fabrique d'Horlogerie Miramar (Miramar SA) in Geneva, Switzerland circa 1950. One of many small Swiss watchmakers to pop up during the heyday of Swiss watchmaking. According to Mikrolisk, they registered several other brand names including Arbar, Chyllon, Jadran, Kores, Marlis and Varbar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shabbaz, Dan S and OMEGuy like this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 1, 2020

We have a city named Miramar a couple of miles away from here. Rough translation from Spanish is "ocean view". You might be able to see the Atlantic Ocean from Miramar if you were on the roof of a tall building, as it's about 10 miles inland.

Got a close up view of the movement. Probably a Landeron cal. 148, could be a 248. There is very little difference. It needs a lot of work. Many of the parts are full of rust. It would likely cost several times the value of the watch to fix it properly. The case has been bent out of shape also.

There used to be a watchmaker who was a wizard with these old Landerons. He bought a warehouse full of parts in Switzerland and made his own branded watches from some of the parts. Sadly, he is now retired.

The only hope for salvage that I see is to find another Landeron cal. 148/248 watch movement in the same size case in working conditionPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network, then have a watchmaker transplant the dial (which isn't in the best condition either). You need to be careful with the measurements, or the dial won't fit. You are also gambling that the movement is in good condition, because a proper chronograph service is going to cost about $300 minimum.

But at least you have a chance. Good luck,
    gatorcpa

Biezmez and OMEGuy like this.
  6. kristal Feb 2, 2020

Thanks a lot everyone once more for all the valuable information provided!I will have to decide based on the information if I will continue with the service and so on. If yes, I will come back to you for giving me some advices regarding recommended watchmakers in Zurich.

Best,
    Kristal