Information about Longines inherited from my grandfather

Hello!

I received this Longines watch from my grandfather, we don't know if he bought it or inherited it from his father. That is the only information I have, and I would like to know what model it is, and the approximate date, since I have searched on the internet and found many similar models, but none exactly the same. I don't know much about watches.

It works perfectly, but I have thought about taking it for restoration, to maintain it and make it look better aesthetically.

I can't open it, since it is very sealed and I'm afraid of breaking it, so I haven't been able to see the inside.

I would be curious to know the approximate price, but my intention is to keep it for its sentimental value.

I appreciate any type of information, greetings!

IMG_20231212_210134.jpg IMG_20231212_210107.jpg IMG_20231212_210049.jpg IMG_20231212_210030.jpg IMG_20231212_210000.jpg

Looks to be 1940s.

Absolutely do not let anyone attempt to clean the dial and do not polish the case.

Lovely watch.

If you let us know where you are located someone can recommend a watchmaker to service the movement and gently clean the case and polish/replace the crystal if necessary.

Very nice watch, thanks for sharing these photos.

I agree with @X350 XJR, this watch is from the 1940s. The movement inside may be a caliber 12.68Z. Notably, the watch is in good original condition. These days, many watches from the 1940s have replaced parts such as hands or crowns. Also, dials are often refinished and cases are polished. These changes all detract from the value. Your watch has an original dial that has not been refinished. The exact design is relatively uncommon. All of the hands (hour, minute, second) are correct, and match the simple and modern design of the dial. The winding crown is also period correct, and the angular lugs retain their sharp lines, which are often destroyed by needless polishing.

As @X350 XJR stated, make sure that anyone who services the watch does not try to clean the dial, polish the case, or replace any of the hands or the winding crown.

Looks to be 1940s.

Absolutely do not let anyone attempt to clean the dial and do not polish the case.

Lovely watch.

If you let us know where you are located someone can recommend a watchmaker to service the movement and gently clean the case and polish/replace the crystal if necessary.

Thank you very much for the reply! I live in Madrid, Spain. I know that there are several watch shops that specialize in antique watches, but I have no real experience with any of them.

Very nice watch, thanks for sharing these photos.

I agree with @X350 XJR, this watch is from the 1940s. The movement inside may be a caliber 12.68Z. Notably, the watch is in good original condition. These days, many watches from the 1940s have replaced parts such as hands or crowns. Also, dials are often refinished and cases are polished. These changes all detract from the value. Your watch has an original dial that has not been refinished. The exact design is relatively uncommon. All of the hands (hour, minute, second) are correct, and match the simple and modern design of the dial. The winding crown is also period correct, and the angular lugs retain their sharp lines, which are often destroyed by needless polishing.

As @X350 XJR stated, make sure that anyone who services the watch does not try to clean the dial, polish the case, or replace any of the hands or the winding crown.

Thanks for your help! Your information is very useful to me. One detail that I don't know if you can see in the photos is that the hands are blue when the light hits them!

Forgive my ignorance, but then it would only take it to a specialized place to clean it? Or also restore the inside of the watch, as long as they do not touch the glass or polish the case, nor change the original parts.

Very nice heirloom. Aside form a simple cleaning, I would not think about doing anything to improve it aesthetically. For an 80 year old watch it is very attractive, and the signs of age generally cannot be reversed. From a collector's perspective, the sharp original lines of the case and the original condition of the dial are very appealing.

Thanks for your help! Your information is very useful to me. One detail that I don't know if you can see in the photos is that the hands are blue when the light hits them!

Forgive my ignorance, but then it would only take it to a specialized place to clean it? Or also restore the inside of the watch, as long as they do not touch the glass or polish the case, nor change the original parts.
What you need to do is review your options in Madrid. Google/Yelp reviews can help. Hopefully our Spanish members can chime in. For this watch, a movement service only, no case work apart from the parts bath to get the dirt off, no dial work, No hands work, light crystal polish. A good vintage watchmaker will know what to do.

The pairing of blue hands with silver dials was typical in the 1930s and 1940s. Below is an example I have with the same style of hands.

If you intend to use the watch, then it would make sense to service the movement. As @Dan S stated above, I would not do anything else to it. I do not know about watchmakers in Madrid, but I do know of someone in Barcelona who services vintage watches. Here is his Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/timeless_machines/

1942 23M crop.JPG

Gorgeous watch and heirloom. Please listen to the advices of our great members above.

Such watches have great wrist presence, and are a treat to wear

it would only take it to a specialized place to clean it? Or also restore the inside of the watch.

Welcome to the forum, as others have said ;
-clean ONLY inside = have the movement serviced by a professional watchmaker; find a good professional watchmaker, not a jeweler;
-no touching anything outside.