Forums Latest Members
  1. Chlu Jan 27, 2020

Hi all

I was given this watch, as a relative passed away recently. Trouble is however, I know nothing about the watch nor Universal Geneve as a brand.

Can anybody help me with some information about the watch? Perhaps the year of production etc.? Is it even genuine? All I know is, that it has been sitting in a drawer for the past 20-30 years.

The bottom case has these numbers (I guess one of them is a reference number):

411204/1

I have tried several google searches, but still haven't given me any answers.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Christian

Ur 2.jpg Ur 3.jpg Ur 4.jpg Ur 5.jpg
    Edited Jan 27, 2020
  2. Chlu Jan 27, 2020

EDIT: I have now done some more research and have actually found some answers in a guide. It says from the serialnumber that it is from the 60's and made in steel. Am I correct?

3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 27, 2020

Hi there and welcome

a few pieces of info for you to help I hope

the watch reference is 411204/1. I am not familiar with it and cannot find another via google. someone else may have more info

You are correct that the movement reference 21xxxxx would indicate early 60s. You would normally expect a signed crown and I can't see this in your photos so I assume the crown was replaced at some point in time and probably the crystal too as I can't see that this is etched in the centre with the UG logo unless you can see this using a loupe. the crystal is obviously scratched but some elbow grease combined with polywatch should hopefully get this into much better condition

It is most likely a stainless steel case that has been gold plated. the dial looks in fair condition

if it has not been used for some time it would benefit from a service by a good watchmaker. once opened get some photos of the movement and inside the case back and you may be able to get further info.

and then wear in good health

4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 27, 2020

just found this via google. not in my languauge but you may be able to find more

20200127_210735.jpg

5. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 27, 2020

using the last photo which identified the movement I searched for universal Geneve cal 1105 (movement calibre) and found this old listing from Catawiki of a similar watch. read the historic listing and this should at least give you more to go on

all the best

20200127_211858.jpg

6. bgrisso Jan 27, 2020

1960 - 61 based on the caseback serial (not the mvmt serial) and the case reference starts with a 4 which suggests a gold plated/filled watch, which looks right based on the SS case back and gold colored mid case.