Forums Latest Members
  1. Volkovich_ Jan 21, 2023

Hello!
    I just joined both the forum and the club of owning an Omega.

I received this watch from my grandfather. He received the watch after I believe 35 years of service in the company he was working, in Spain

From what he told me and my mom told me it's a gold watch.

Naturally after receiving I took it to the main Omega store in Geneva. But to my surprise Omega refused the service as the "case was not manufactured by Omega".

When I received it I asked the person at Omega and he told me that apparently back in the day (the watch has an engraving in the back saying 1980), it was common to just send the calibers and get the cases manufactured locally to avoid taxes.

I got some recommendations of nice watchmakers in Geneva so I'm confident they will fix the caliber, as the seconds seem not to be consistent, sometimes it jumps 3 forward in one go, but it does keep properly the time.

So here are some pictures and I'm not sure what model of a watch it is. It has a caliber 1012, but not Swiss Made markings on the dial and no model name in the dial either.

So if anyone has any more info I would be extremely grateful.

Edit: added pics of the original buckle (I don't have it with me), seems that it says "plaqué G". But the case back says 18K which means it's solid gold?
    Thanks!

IMG_20230121_154906.jpg IMG_20230121_154555.jpg IMG_20230121_154345.jpg IMG_20230121_154608.jpg IMG_20230121_154332.jpg Screenshot_20230121-232811.jpg Screenshot_20230121-232750.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 21, 2023

The Omega store in Geneva gave you the correct information about the watch. In addition, the dial was incorrectly refinished at one time.

The buckle looks like the gold plating was stripped off.

That’s all I can add.
    gatorcpa

Dan S likes this.
  3. Volkovich_ Jan 21, 2023

Hi, thanks for answering. So are my assumptions sort of correct? That the case is solid 18k gold and that is the reason for the lack of swiss made in the dial? Just trying to learn a bit on all those topics.

Also, the watch looks 100% like this one except for the Geneve writing on the dial: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-geneve-omega-st-166-0163

4. Dan S Jan 21, 2023

The reason for the lack of SWISS MADE on the dial is that the dial was totally repainted very poorly at some point in the past, presumably because it was damaged. Please look more critically at the dial (comparing to the photo in the link you posted) and you will see that the printing is sloppy and the fonts are completely wrong. It did not come that way from the factory. We have looked at thousands of dials so it immediately jumps out at us.

The watch was also re-cased in a non-Omega case, as noted above. Also, the hands are not original. Basically, it is put together from mismatched parts. At what point all of this happened, I can't say. Many things can happen over 40+ years.

Your idea of having the movement repaired by an independent watchmaker is a good one.

Edited Jan 21, 2023
    Mark020 likes this.
  5. Volkovich_ Jan 22, 2023

Maybe it's me not wanting to see it as it is a family heirloom... But I do not see what you are mentioning or I'm not used to look for those details. I see that they are faded, but the lettering seems... Fine to me.

My grandfather can't answer the question anymore but I somehow doubt he recased / repainted the dial, but there is no way of knowing for sure.

Regarding the hands they look exactly the same as for the one in the pic... And the one here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/2-questions-regarding-my-1973-genève-automatic.114133/

6. Davidt Jan 22, 2023

There is absolutely no doubt. The dial is not original and has 100% been repainted. This was often done routinely at service in the past if water ingress or tobacco smoke had damaged a dial.

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 22, 2023

If you are looking to get it working for sentimental reasons then go for it, but be aware you wont get back anything you put into that if you were at some point in the future to sell it. It is from the late 1970s, not Omegas happiest era and even if fully original at my estimation wouldn't be worth too much more than the case metal value. Personally I doubt it was recased, I would suggest it was locally cased and sold like that from new. Closer inspection of the case marks should give you confirmation of where exactly that was. The inscription date you mention makes sense, the serial suggests it was manufactured 1977-78 or so.

For the avoidance of doubt, I too am 100% sure the dial has been refinished.

Edited Jan 22, 2023
  8. Volkovich_ Jan 22, 2023

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm not going to keep for it's value as a collectable I'm keeping it because it's my grandfather's present. I was planning to service it and bring it as close as it was original because I intend to use it daily.

wagudc, pkaye6, Syrte and 1 other person like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 22, 2023

Welcome to the forum,
    and congratulations on receiving a family heirloom.

Most people here are purists and collectors and they do not see things from the same view point as a layperson.

Your grandfather may have used this watch for many years, and probably had it fixed in several ways. He may have preferred a solid gold case to a gold plated one or a steel one, and it was once common to get dials repainted or refinished during service.
    if he had eyesight problems he may also have sought to change the hands in order to have more contrast against the gold colored dial— whereas the original hands ought to have been the same color as the indexes on the dial.

since the value of this watch is sentimental, you don’t need to « bring it as close as possible to original » because 1/ that’s not how your grandfather wanted it or used it, 2/ it will be a needless and wasteful expense.

As said, just service it so you can enjoy it.
    Best regards

PS our messages crossed.

Edited Jan 22, 2023
    Aroxx likes this.
  10. Davidt Jan 22, 2023

That being the case I wouldn’t be concerned about returning it to original condition. That dial, even though it’s been redone has likely been in the watch for years and it’s the dial your grandes looked at. I’d service it and wear it in good health. If you happen to find a correct original dial down the line then you’ve got the option of further restoration.

Syrte likes this.
  11. Dan S Jan 22, 2023

I think that you simply have not developed an eye for detail. For example, the hands on your watch are shorter than those in your links, and you said that they "look exactly the same."

12. lucian23 Jan 22, 2023

Also please notice that i think that the rotor has some friction on the case back. The rotor has more usage on the edge..

13. Volkovich_ Jan 22, 2023

Syrte, thanks for the warm welcome, I think actually I will just focus on just fixing the movement cleaning the glass and as lucian said checking the rotor friction.

I'll report back after the watch has been serviced

wagudc likes this.
  14. SOG53 Jan 22, 2023

Welcome to the OF, from a relative newcomer who also started with heirloom watch from my Dad. This watch had nice gold case and Omega movement, If this were my watch I would like to look at the same watch as my grandfather saw for many years, so I would just service it and enjoy and not worry about the dial originality etc. BTW I think the buckle is definitely a vintage Omega buckle, based on the markings and I would keep that too. I know a little about this the hard way having bought a few fake buckles.... Anyway enjoy the watch- if this tweeks your interest study the various vintage models on this forum and decide what you like- then buy one from the Private Sales section here (forget Ebay too many fakes and hard to tell) and you can find a really nice all original Omega vintage watch for 400-700 range later.
    Just some comments from a OF member just a few small steps beyond where you are!