In need of advice: vintage pie-pan Constellation in rough shape!

Hi everyone!

This is one my great-grandfathers' pie pan Constellations that ended up in my possession and I could use the community's help in determining value and to solicit advice on what I should do with it. After being unable to open the case back when I received it years ago, I cast it aside and just assumed the whole thing was a fake; the dial writing and messed up Omega logo led me to believe there was not much value in the watch (there still might not be much value).

Fast forward to today, I had my watchmaker open the watch and to my surprise there was a beaten up caliber 505 under the hood. The crown is missing, there are deep scratches on the casebook, and the case, inside and out, is very dirty. Further, the rotor spins and appears to wind the mainspring and the balance wheel moves freely, but the gear train is all seized up. It needs a lot of work to bring it back to working order and I don't feel like shipping it off to Omega to get fixed, which the watchmaker said was the only option for repair, due to the extensive damage. Is there any value in the watch being sold "as-is"?

Thanks for taking a look and let me know your thoughts!

Not wanting to add to your other woes, but the dial was refinished at some point and not in a good way. There would be no way to restore the watch to its original condition without a genuine donor dial from a similar watch. That being said, the watch has parts value. There are always collectors in need of donor parts who might offer you something for it.

Nasty. Unless you want to start a money pit type restoration then just sell for parts on ebay or similar. Don't expect a flurry of offers from here. Though as above, the bracelet might excite some. But they might be less interested when they hear the end links are 18mm.

If it has sentimental value it could be cleaned, serviced/repaired and the dial refinished to a higher standard for a reasonable amount of money. It’ll likely cost as much or more than it’s worth but if it’s an heirloom it could be worth it.

If there’s no such connection I’d list it as a no reserve auction on eBay, including several pictures of the bracelet and leave it to do it’s thing.

I think the dial says "OFFECIALLY" certified.

And? Apparently you are not well versed in all of the Vietnamese dialects.

I feel bad for these 2852s. Your grandpa and whoever is selling this on eBay look like they went to the same redialer:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255896356538

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
If it has sentimental value it could be cleaned, serviced/repaired and the dial refinished to a higher standard for a reasonable amount of money. It’ll likely cost as much or more than it’s worth but if it’s an heirloom it could be worth it.

If there’s no such connection I’d list it as a no reserve auction on eBay, including several pictures of the bracelet and leave it to do it’s thing.
Luckily I wear another pie-pan of his that is in perfect condition

I feel bad for these 2852s. Your grandpa and whoever is selling this on eBay look like they went to the same redialer:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255896356538

At least the listing is honest: "Dial was restored at some point and not done well. Officially is spelled wrong"

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I think the dial says "OFFECIALLY" certified.

connie.jpeg
Poor redialer = bad
Poor redialer who kan’t spel = worse

Parts are available or could be found with searching. 5xx parts are interchangeable along with some 4xx parts

Might not even need parts. Just a cleaning. Did the watch maker take it apart to assess the parts condition?

Case. Neoprene rubber grit wheels to clean up the case and light polish to finish off.

Leave dial as is or refinish

Missing movement clamps and screws

I loved buying watches like this. Others left them alone. I bought and restored them.

Maybe try another watch maker

DON