Forums Latest Members

Confirming Authenticity of a Family Pie Pan Constellation

1. CChin Jul 18, 2019

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but hope that someone could help with this!

I have a Omega pie pan constellation passed down from my grandpa who got it in the 1960's? He arrived in the states from China in the 60's but didn't have much money when he was here and apparently bought this watch at the time brand new. I have no papers or anything else besides the watch and bracelet. He died in the early 70's so I never had the chance to ask him about the watch. My grandma and mom were not in the states during that time and he died shortly after they arrived here so they have no idea of the watch's backstory.

Never questioned the authenticity of the watch until a few years ago when the observatory logo on the back just fell right off the watch. Honestly I was much younger at the time (early 20's) and didn't fully appreciate the watch (the front of it is scratched from daily wear on my part). The logo was placed in a small pouch that I have no recollection of where I put it (I'm hoping it's somewhere at my parent's house). I just think it's weird that that piece fell off... Does that ever happen...?

Please find attached some photos of the watch. It was serviced once years ago (talking 2013 ish maybe before the piece fell off) and everything runs smoothly still. Everything is original from what I know of.

I am unable to open the watch's case back but will bring it to someone who can if needed and take pictures of the movement then.

My questions are, is the watch real based off some of the pictures and would it be possible for someone to date the watch? If not, and I brought to an authorized watch dealer would they be able to confirm it's authenticity? And about the logo, I would need to find out what year/model this is then buy a new case back to go with the watch?

This is the only thing my family has from my grandfather... and I just want to know what we have..

Thank you so much for your help and listening to my long story!!

Omega 1.jpg Omega 2.jpg Omega 3.jpg Omega 4.jpg Omega 5.jpg
    Edited Jul 18, 2019
  2. Noddyman Jul 18, 2019

Hi @CChin, welcome to the forum.

I can tell you your grandfather's watch is 100% authentic. - (subject to seeing movement).

You will find the model number on the inside of the case back. Let your watchmaker remove the case back as you could cause damage.
    It's likely a ref no.168.005 or it could be a 14902 if one of the last models. At a guess I would say it dates to around 1967 give or take a year or so. If you post the movement number we can tell you the year.
    The winding crown is genuine Omega but it's not original to your watch. It was probably replaced many years ago as part of a service. Lots have incorrect crowns so no big deal really. Originals are no longer available but with patience they can be found on eBay.
    In regard to the gold medallion these do work loose and fall out occasionally. This will prove more difficult to find so worth giving your parents house a thorough search.
    The bracelet is called a 'beads of rice' and likely came with the watch when new. A leather strap would have been the other option.
    The dial, hands, case and crystal all look original and in very nice condition.

It's a nice watch and worth investing some time and money, maybe get it serviced to bring back up to scratch. Ask here for watchmaker recommendations in your area.

Good luck.

3. CChin Jul 18, 2019

Thank you so much fr your help, really glad to hear! It's a sigh of relief

I will take it to a watchmaker next week and post pictures then. Definitely have to go and look for the medallion now.

:)

4. KingCrouchy Jul 18, 2019

Don't let the watchmaker polish it.

connieseamaster and CChin like this.
  5. CChin Jul 18, 2019

Of course not!

KingCrouchy likes this.