Forums Latest Members
  1. S.H. Mar 19, 2023

In a previous life I founded a small business with an associate, 50% - 50%. Quite a few fellow married engineers told me it was risky, what if you don't get along with the other guy? I usually responded that I was in for around 10keur, limited liability and all. (I could afford to lose that) And you, you recently bought a house with your wife for how much? How is that not risky if you don't get along? Not just a business relationship, and no limited liability there. The guys often looked inward, thought about it and kept very quiet afterwards...

2. Fallout Boy Mar 19, 2023

The reason for a divorce is to be found in the marriage. (old german saying)
    (never married :D)

Incredible collection @Barking mad

watch3s likes this.
  3. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Mar 19, 2023

Seems we never learn.

'The triumph of hope over experience'?
    This remark is reported to have been said by Samuel Johnson in James Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, 1791. The occasion was Johnson's hearing of a man who had remarried soon after the death of a wife to whom he had been unhappily married.

Fallout Boy likes this.
  4. JohnSteed Mar 19, 2023

and curious the Chopard Mille Miglia is upside down in the pic, talk about survivor's story!

excellent post, @Barking mad ... you can talk about it - bravo!!

vintage hab likes this.
  5. watch3s Mar 19, 2023

my sympathies, a watch friend from the rolex forums is actually in the middle of a divorce rn. Poor bugger. His collection wasn't through or as golden but its getting reduced too.

6. flw history nerd Mar 19, 2023

I got divorced in 2012, before I got into watches (and the whole time I was in my first marriage, I could never afford to buy a decent watch). The divorce was expensive enough - nearly 60% of my retirement savings, among other things, gone in one fell swoop - but my current wife is a big supporter of my hobby. I count myself lucky.

p4ul, watch3s and Thommas like this.
  7. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Mar 19, 2023

A prenuptual agreement is your friend in these situations. ::facepalm2::

8. Pastorbottle Mar 19, 2023

My evil sister is a serial divorcee. One of her husbands wanted to do a prenup, the sky fell in on him in the form of my enraged sister, poor dumb bastard never stood a chance. The silly bastard gave up and went through with the wedding without one……I know he regrets the marriage now it’s all over and I suspect he regrets not pushing harder for the prenup.

Not that prenups are worth the paper they’re printed on here in Oz, there are slimy lawyers wriggling out of them all over the place.

9. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 20, 2023

Thanks. I have no problem talking about it, I am actually happier now than I could ever have been with her. However it would have been nice to know before it happened as it seems a number of other people did, probably couldn't have changed anything though.
    The unfortunate thing is that she felt the need to try and turn the kids against me which didn't work with my daughter but my son in his words decided "to distance him from me" and he won't share his reasoning. I still send him Christmas and Birthday wishes with no response, hopefully one day. I still have his unworn birth year Speedy that I bought years ago for his 21st, he is now 23.

The lack of relationship with my son is by far the hardest part and worst outcome of the whole debacle.

I live in hope and one day...

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 20, 2023

Covers the Pre status. Not the value created During status, I guess....

11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 20, 2023

Don't give that Speedy to him. You can't buy Love. He picked his side and does not seem to miss you. Maybe in 10 years time, when he is a Father .... Be happy, that your daughter seems sensible. Divorce is often a 50/50 % failure and it takes time to see it that way. Breakdown in Communication as well and the next Marriage might be not much better. Maybe we lower our expectations and be happy with less....

12. steversaurus Mar 20, 2023

watchyouwant likes this.
  13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 20, 2023

That is the problem, if all come to market at the same time.... The real bummer was the White Dial Railmaster Prototype, that was very, very cheap. Bought by an UK watch dealer . Sold for double to the Omega Museum, where it is now on display.....

sheepdoll likes this.
  14. Tekashi_145.022 Mar 20, 2023

I used to do the valuations at a large grey, and we would keep an eye out for major auctions to stay informed on the marketplace... I am pretty sure I remember this one! We used to wonder why a seller — who obviously knew a great deal about watches, auctions, etc. — would flood the market all at once. Our best guess was an estate cashing in the assets in a hurry... A court-ordered timeline was not on our bingo card! That is just painful to read, but as you say, just a part of life. Glad to hear you are doing well now. What a story, especially the white Railmaster. Thank you for sharing.

sheepdoll and watchyouwant like this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 21, 2023

I remember that well as I was still a bit shitty over my divorce.

I plugged all of the lots into a spreadsheet and came up with AUD$480K or something in total but I lost interest very quickly when I saw the actual results on some of the sales.

:(

watchyouwant likes this.
  16. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 21, 2023

Houses for Ex Wife's in good location in walking distance to the Beach were never cheap.....

Tekashi_145.022 and JimInOz like this.
  17. hoshimachi Mar 23, 2023

I learned the hard way that I tend to make repeated mistakes,
    and the reason is that I haven't taken the time to accept my mistakes and move-on.
    Because I kept denying that I made a mistake, I proceeded to take the same course of action when similar situations occurred.
    Well, I think I know better now... I've really learnt my lesson.

18. hoshimachi Mar 23, 2023

But you gotta do it right... preferably with a capable lawyer. Otherwise a prenup is just piece of paper.

19. hoshimachi Mar 23, 2023

"Oh, if I've only had the foresight to pick up a wooden stick and beat somebody to death with it" - caveman from "A Space Odyssey" (probably)

20. hoshimachi Mar 23, 2023

I think marrying the "right" person is the best prenup there is