Forums Latest Members

Read on a previous post, to read dial need glasses.

1. omega man Rolex Conspiracy Theorist Jul 25, 2015

Can I recommend a watch for you. Office Panerai. This is a high classy, sporty watch line. I was sitting in a VA clinic in Las Vegas not long ago. Another old veteran walked by and noticed my Panerai. He remarked what a great watch, he could read the dial without resorting to his glasses. This particular dial on my Black Sea Radiomir is 45 mm. It has three large numerals, 12, 3 and 6.The others are stick figures. The constant ( no hack) second hand is at the nine position. Illumination at night is great. Hand winding, once every morning. The movement is COSC certified, as the accompanying COSC certificate attests. My recommendation for those of us needing a little help.

2. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 25, 2015

I'd rather check the time on my phone.

3. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2015

You could always strap a clock to your wrist too.

Matty01 likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 25, 2015

I like the simple Panerai design for the reasons you stated, however it seems to have become a cult watch for knobs.

Not that all Panerai owners are knobs of course, just the ones who shove it in your face and ask you to guess how much it cost them.

Paedipod likes this.
  5. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jul 26, 2015

I like my 176 for those reasons and more and agreed Peniwristi does seem onomatopoeic.
    I also reckon one is enough...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  6. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 26, 2015

They simply never appealed to me. Each to their own I guess.

7. base615 Jul 26, 2015

+1. I could probably grow to appreciate a Panerai but they just don't work with my weedy wrists so I've never had the opportunity for it to grow on me.

8. persco Jul 26, 2015

I like them, but worry I'd bore quickly. I've tried a few on, and like the 372 best. But it's massive and I feel like I should be wearing my shirt undone a little more at the collar and then wander the streets of Toronto looking for "Lambos" and Bentley's to stand in front of while I take wrist shots for Instagram.

9. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 26, 2015

'onomatopoeic'...I had to look it up. Perfect word! :thumbsup:

10. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jul 26, 2015

Hehe, felt the need to change the spelling on Paneristi too...

11. Mick Tock Jul 26, 2015

I feel that I have to strike a blow for Panerai from a collector's point of view. I'm by no way a die-hard Paneristi.

Over the last few years there were too many almost equally looking models with rather common movements – boring. However, in the time when Panerai missed in-house movements they revived a few great historic movements like the Chézard 7400 (seconde morte, dead beat) in the Independent (PAM00080):

[​IMG]
    In this photo you may discover that the lower wheel of the indirect seconds train is moving (its teeth are motion blurred) while the upper wheel in the center has stopped. The two wheels are connected by a tiny wiggle-waggle wheel exposed under a small loupe on the display back:

[​IMG]

I'm after these special movements and complications, which I cannot get from other brands or at least not so nicely packaged as by Panerai:

[​IMG]
    The case measures 42 mm. The watch wears very well, even as a dress watch under a cuff.

Cheers,

Mick

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 27, 2015

I'm hardly a "Risti" but I do appreciate the brand to an extent. There was a time when I thought 39 mm was too big for me, but as time went by and in particular after I started servicing more and more Panerai watches, they started to grow on me a bit.

Eventually one client mentioned he was having me service his 104 so he could sell it, and a few emails back and forth and it never went back to him after I finished the job. Yes it's big, but it is easy to read, and it is the watch by far that I have received the most compliments on...

[​IMG]

I do tend to wear it more in the winter though. In hot sticky weather I don't really like having a big heavy watch on.

By the servicing is also how I grew to think of a Speedmaster as a watch I would like to own - they were always pretty "meh" for me in the past, but never say never as your tastes can change.

Cheers, Al

Matty01 likes this.