Forums Latest Members

In a bit of good news: the watch collecting hobby may not be so dead after all…

1. alam Mar 28, 2022

Precisely my point ;) and btw, a very nice SM you got there! :thumbsup:

RCINPHILL likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 28, 2022

A few years back a 25yo at work wanted a railmaster and I could not believe the effort he put into getting it for not one penny more than he had to.
    In the end I put him onto a Aussie dealer that used to be on here a bit and saved him a couple of hundred $$s he couldn’t squeeze out himself.

They know watches a bit, but they know what price they should be getting them for when they know what they want. This kid was not going to pay anything over the going rate and picked out the too good to be true himself.

Readiness77 likes this.
  3. Caliber561 Mar 28, 2022

In my opinion, one of the better entry points into watches for younger people would be the vintage category. Solid vintage Omegas from the 50s-70s can still be had for $1k or less, which isn't crazy for a hobby. I know people who have spent more on video games. For younger people with more time than money, IMO the largest barrier to them getting started is the lack of information one can use to educate themselves. Reference sites exist for the Speedmaster, the Seamaster, and other highly collectible vintage sports models. However, we don't see this sort of information available for entry-level vintage watches like standard Seamasters or De Villes.

Readiness77 likes this.
  4. Widows Son Mar 28, 2022

I'm an old codger, 63 YOA but I am around people of all ages through work, sports, etc. Rarely do I see anyone under 30 who's into mechanical watches at all. Most wear smart watches or Casios.

blufinz52 likes this.
  5. TheGreekPhysique Mar 28, 2022

95% of the guys I know under 30 wear an apple watch. For the life of me I cannot understand being tied to your phone more than we already are as a society.

kkt, Widows Son and MtnMarine like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2022

Good advice if you stop right there...

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  7. cvalue13 Mar 28, 2022

yeah, but same is true for 95% of guys over 30

blufinz52 likes this.
  8. TheGreekPhysique Mar 28, 2022

aint that the truth.

cvalue13 likes this.
  9. gostang9 Mar 28, 2022

Isn't one of the key benefits of wearing a smart watch that it gives improved health data and reduces the need to physically hold your phone...?

10. TheGreekPhysique Mar 28, 2022

For a specific, small subset of the population who would benefit from ongoing monitoring sure. But there is also something to be said for mental health and having your mind constantly occupied from non-urgent notifications to me negates many of the purported benefits. Also, from observation it seems that those that have an apple watch interact with there phone more not less.

RevZMan123 likes this.
  11. gostang9 Mar 28, 2022

Those with strongest desire to stay 'in-touch' have greatest motivation to get smart watch... so that would make sense.

Very small sample size in people I know with a 'smart watch / fitness tracker' primarily wear them to track health and fitness. My circle may well not represent the general population.

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 10, 2023

40 years SWATCH ... looks like it's important to keep the boxes ... as with all "toys" :thumbsup:

13. Watch my Whisky Mar 10, 2023

It’s because they can’t afford a house that they want Subs.

Thanks, boomers.

14. spacemission May 6, 2023

Mediums are furious. Bravo swatch group.