Forums Latest Members

I'm dumbfounded. How in the hell does Seiko pull it off?

1. ulackfocus Mar 2, 2018

14595151.jpg

2. Laharrier Mar 2, 2018

Again I propose personally handling any of the new Presage watches or the SBDC053/051. I have louped these watches and louped my Omega Devilles and Tudors side by side and the finishing is remarkably similar. Omega does a great dial, as do many others but who of the Swiss is doing this anywhere close to $1000?

SARY085.jpg SeikoSARX055-9.jpg
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2018

If you would like to send me the watch, I am willing to do an objective side by side comparison of it and a modern Omega, and post the results here. PM me and we can work out the details. I'll include real timing data, photos of the movements, pressure testing, case details - the whole works.

Oh, and I've handled and serviced many Seiko watches of varying quality, including Grand Seikos.

Well, given what I have seen of the watch from what you posted, I doubt it would match a PO based on my earlier comparison. I can't speak for the Black Bay.

This is an interesting bit of information for those who are not aware, but in reality doesn't have a lot to do with the objective quality. Timex pin-lever movements were all "in-house" as well, and although rugged no one would call them pretty or terribly accurate.

I don't know of a Grand Seiko that can be had new for $1500 - please let me know what model you are specifically referring to thanks.

Seiko technology for high beat movements is nothing different to high beat movement from other makers, like Zenith for example. The Spring Drive being a quartz watch, that is a whole other conversation, but yes it's unusual in the way it's been done.

The watch you have is a nice watch certainly, but I think saying it is the equal of watches costing many times the amount this does is a disservice to the Seiko. It stands on it's own merits and really doesn't need the sort of hyperbole that is often seen on forums.

Cheers, Al

4. Laharrier Mar 2, 2018

^^ Not my photos obviously. Forgot a disclaimer lol. That baby snowflake is next on my hit list. A dial like I really have never seen. Looks different in every type of light. The cocktail time watches are also remarkable.

5. Laharrier Mar 2, 2018

Agreed with many of these Points Archer! I dont want to overwork my point, but I do stick by my opinion on it :)

Mtek likes this.
  6. Laharrier Mar 2, 2018

7. Faz Mar 2, 2018

Laharrier convinced me...incoming!
    IMG_0425.JPG

Mtek, Laharrier and ulackfocus like this.
  8. Laharrier Mar 2, 2018

Mtek likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2018

So does this mean you are not sending it to me for comparison? If not, then maybe Faz can drop his off sometime...

ulackfocus, Faz and Laharrier like this.
  10. Laharrier Mar 2, 2018

Ha! If I can stop wearing it!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2018

I'm not joking mate - I'll do a full on comparison if someone sends me one...

Rman and ulackfocus like this.
  12. Laharrier Mar 2, 2018

Where are you located?

13. Faz Mar 2, 2018

I just like the watch! On face value, it seems to be a tremendous value at that price point. I don't dare go against Al on the comparison trail..:D

Laharrier likes this.
  14. Faz Mar 2, 2018

But....It would be very interesting to have Al do a full blown, unbiased comparison. I would be willing to submit my watch for this very important and essential exercise! :thumbsup:

sxl2004 and Laharrier like this.
  15. Laharrier Mar 2, 2018

I agree and understand the skepticisms. I wasn't a fan of seiko for a long time, and this is my only current Seiko. I do believe this is a piece that must be seen in person.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2018

No worries - Faz and I are making plans already...

glownyc, be.norm and Laharrier like this.
  17. Mtek Mar 2, 2018

I own a new PO, a new 053. The Seiko is no doubt a great value, but the tactile feel of the bezel movement and crown threading and function is no where close to my Omega. The bezel on the 053 does look amazing, but we will see how hammered it gets with the chosen finish soon I think.

Seiko is my fav brand. I would compare my Marinemaster to the PO, but even it isn’t as refined to me.

3A099A69-437C-47F5-8370-649DB9A07AB4.jpeg C40B28BA-8ED5-41BF-B75C-E0F8C31DB98D.jpeg

ulackfocus likes this.
  18. Jerseyhammer Mar 2, 2018

I know what you mean the whole divers range is fantastic value and quality . The autos especially and the X range in particular . Enjoy your Pepsi colour version I’m still after the green one. Enjoy

19. larryganz The cable guy Mar 3, 2018

This thread has been... interesting.

I think that some Seiko watches have a place in our collections, which come in at all levels (from low-end to high-end). I think some of us feel a bigger connection to watches that have a heart-beat of their own, with that ticking automatic movement vs quartz, even at the expense of accuracy.

I have a few Seiko watches, including a 5 year old SKX-173 that I wore during my son's Eagle Scout project as a beater to protect my good watches (and on few other occasions where it's now become sentimental to me). I'm having it returned to stock, after playing with a Yobokies Tudor BBR mod for a while, because I think Seiko had it right the first time. I also have a nice 22 yr old SKX-009 with faded Pepsi bezel, and a NIB unworn SKX-007 as a backup.

I consider the SKX watches to be tough and durable but attractive beater watches. Although a G-shock would make more sense as a beater, most of them are not aesthetically pleasing to me and don't connect with me. But my Seiko SKX's also aren't the most accurate in the bunch, and run anywhere from +/- 10-20 sec/day.

Still, from a distance and when worn for only a few days at a time, the lack of finishing and time-keeping would not be noticeable to the casual observer - they might just see a cool looking diver with a smoothly ticking second hand on the arm of a confident person, and assume it's expensive.

My watchmaker says that with all of these SKX watches that it's easier to just wear them until they die and then install a $100 movement, instead of servicing them where some parts aren't easy to obtain and replace (although he did service my older 009 instead). Was it worth the additional cost of servicing it? Maybe not, but I like knowing that the 009 as is still original from it's build date in the mid 90's.

I also picked up a PADI Turtle when they came out, and it seems to be built with a higher degree of attention to detail, in the finish and the time keeping, although still not on the level of a low-end Swiss watch. Both my PADi and Blue Lagoon run a little closer to my Swiss watches, where my PADI averaged -1.5 sec/day over a 330 day period, and my Prospex LE ran -2.2 sec/day over a 100 day period. However I no longer keep them on a winder and I just wind them up if I want to wear them (I'm down from having 17 watches on winders to just winding 4-7 watches in my rotation, and even those get changed out every couple of months).

I have a black PVD Astron solar GPS chronograph, which also hads great attention to detail, but my favorite of all Seikos in my collection is my Grand Seiko SBGX115 white dial diver with the 9F61 HAQ movement. My GS averages about +5 sec/yr, and it's a beautiful watch to look at and appears to be as well made as my Omega and Rolex watches. Only my Omega X-33 Solar Impulse is more accurate at +2.9 sec/yr.

And no, the chapter ring is not crooked, I just didn't have the bezel strait in any of my GS photos, even taken weeks apart, due to my own lack of attention to detail.

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_8645.jpg

Seiko PADI Blue Lagoon.jpg

Seiko Blue Lagoon PADI.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_3323 copy.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

rcs914, Kmart, Waltesefalcon and 6 others like this.
  20. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 3, 2018

larryganz likes this.