If you could only have one...

You have the choice between two identical vintage watches - exactly which reference is irrelevant since this is purely hypothetical, so use your imagination and imagine your grails.

One of the watches has the original crystal, but a generic crown, the other has the original crown but a generic crystal.

Which would you choose?

I tend to agree with everyone this far, despite the fact that a working crown is in many instances easier to find than an exactly fitting crystal. Curious to see if the consensus stands.

Crown always.

I tend to agree with everyone this far, despite the fact that a working crown is in many instances easier to find than an exactly fitting crystal. Curious to see if the consensus stands.

Try finding a 10 sided Constellation crown 😗

Has been easier and quicker to find crystals on many references than correct crowns in my opinion.

Honestly an original Memovox (E855) crystal is pretty damn nice...

Surely depends on watch and parts situation?.
I had my grandfathers Lanco dress watch serviced, crystal was shot and needed a new crown. Finding another crystal that looked correct and fit the oblong case was a frankly Herculean task. The crown however is a fairly common vintage crown and was easily replaced. In this case crystal.
On my first execution Heuer Carrera it would be crown, no brainer, original early unmarked large crowns for winding with driving gloves are significant in their unavailability. Crown.
Edited:

Crown, especially for a gold or gold-plated watch. Can be tough to find gold crowns that exactly match the tone/alloy of the gold, especially for vintage pieces.

Since this is hypothetical, I'd choose both and put the original crystal on the watch with original crown.

Since this is hypothetical, I'd choose both and put the original crystal on the watch with original crown.
A man after my own heart 😀

Totally depends on the model/reference, and which part is the easier to source original.

It depends on model, but mostly correct crown. Im having hard time finding correct crown for my 2943.. 🙁