Forums Latest Members

Idiotic and needless scratching up of cases with beads

1. john_coburg Jul 21, 2020

I saw enough of the instagram pictures of stunning horology paired with beautifully complimentary beaded bracelets to make me think: i want one. A nice way to dress down a 'dressier' watch or to add sportier appeal to an already-Sports watch - and the copycat 'i-want-what-he-has-because-he-has-it' chemicals were duly secreted.
    So now i have my beaded bracelet (a charming turqoise interspersed with wooden bits) and on my wrist it pops... i'm happy and glancing down at my wrist elicits a smile. So far so good... until i took the thing off. The scraping of the beads alongside the edge of the case over the course of a few days has scratched the top side of the case (and thatr of 3 other watches..) to buggary. Bollocks.

Is there any way of buffing out these micro-scratches myself? If so, with what? Or do i need to visit a watchmaker with the four victims and endure some open-wallet surgery?

Does anyone one else suffer from this hazard? Surely everyone who wears these stupid beaded bracelets does? I guess i could wear them crown-side, but i still imagine this would elicit some rubbing and scratching..

Moral of the story... stop caving to Instagram and be happy with what you've got.
    20200721_151754.jpg 20200721_153738.jpg

KeithS and Nobel Prize like this.
  2. NGO1 Jul 21, 2020

A bit of rubbing with cape cod cloth will clean that up. Those are more like friction markings rather than scratches. I get friction marks from my wife all the time. Those beads aren’t tough enough to scratch the 904L steel, just dull the polished.

909478C6-76B0-49C6-92B4-B4D03B993C75.jpeg B94AC81C-DEBF-4B4C-AC9A-11517C35E4E6.jpeg 29D12BB8-B70A-4567-94E8-25AE1DEBA452.jpeg
    Edited Jul 21, 2020
    Spruce and lindo like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Jul 21, 2020

I didn’t understand the post at first thinking your were talking about a BOR bracelet scratching the sides of your watch- until I saw the pic.
    Basically, this is like putting your watch in your pocket with pebbles - it’s gonna leave some marks by the end of the day. Cape cod is fine for polished surfaces but if the sides are brushed, that needs to be rebrushed to correct the grain. I would leave this to a skilled watchmaker and not take it on yourself unless you have practiced this (and polishing the sides, even a cape cod cloth can soften that edge where it meets the brushed surfaces unless you mask them off).

4. wristpirate Jul 21, 2020

Seen a few bracelets I liked myself but never ended up getting due to fear of case damage. I personally would leave it as it is instead of chancing making it worse

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 21, 2020

Personally, because of this, I have not nor would I ever buy a watch from a bead/bracelet wearer...without meaning to sound snooty, its common sense (or should be) that this kind of friction would have this kind of effect.

Same goes for ring-wearers (who appear to treat watches in a similar fashion to how they treat their better-half's cuddly bits) ... I cringe everytime I see this guys pics ...

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 18.09.49.png

::facepalm1::

Edit : as to the OP dilemma : cape cod could work, however I would just leave it - you cant scratch whats already scratched.

Edit edit : I mean no offense to all the other ring wearers here ... i.e. married men and women who actually wear watches instead of just fondle them :) From you folk I would have zero problems...

Edited Jul 21, 2020
    janice&fred and YY77 like this.
  6. MikeMan2727 Jul 21, 2020

This guy's ring....and prices...are always offputting to me :)

eugeneandresson likes this.
  7. john_coburg Jul 21, 2020

With great thanks to Cape Cod, which i had in stock, (and to @ngo516), all four pieces are now restored to their former glory. No rounded edges either - you can focus quite easily on the scratched part when buffing, leaving the surrounded areas untouched. A lucky escape.
    You see so many of these pictures i sort-of guessed it would be fine, without thinking through. Of course scratches were obvious.

8. amcclell Jul 21, 2020

I would leave it to a good watchmaker to restore when you need to get it serviced. For the OP, I also nominate this for the "Crimes Against Watches" thread. Just a thought.

Muttley and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. NGO1 Jul 21, 2020

I say accessorize your Rollies. bring up your IG game.
    Service centers can laser weld back polished off materials to your watch any day of the week. Enjoy that expensive, outdated wrist rock, while you are young and wild.

My wife is a healthcare provider, her limbs are swinging non-stop all different directions +10 hours a day. Anything stays on her body will be scratched, broken, fall off by end of day. Patients gave her all sort of homemade wrist wears, she makes an effort to wear as much of those love as she can, whether with an Apple Watch or her mechanicals.
    Colors and textures bring joy and a bit of a visual treat on the shitty next few months/years.
    Put those damn beads on that Rollie if it brings you joy.

My youngest daughter is currently obsessed with rubber band bracelets making. She's now making straps for my watches--thanks to Mom. I have zero say in this matter :( I love the shit out of my Lange now, by force.

IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0073.jpg
    ajn3323, kov, tumbler and 10 others like this.
  10. OmegaP99 Jul 21, 2020

These rubber band bracelets are a scourge to adults everywhere. I have a car buddy who's kid was making them a couple of summers back, paid his asking price of $1 for the one he had built up, and thought it would be nice to pre-pay another $5 for some custom pieces to support his venture. He never made them. I wish I had paid with PayPal so I could dispute the transaction. I did report him in the "bad sellers" threads online so his rep is trashed.

11. ChiefMark Jul 21, 2020

A Lange 1 on a strap made from rubber bands...

I've seen everything. You sir, obviously have great affection for your daughter. Bravo.

DSotW likes this.
  12. NGO1 Jul 21, 2020

for you Mark...

DBB7E719-381E-46D3-8E80-AF376ECA1DB1.jpeg
    Stewart A, OmegaP99 and ChiefMark like this.
  13. amcclell Jul 21, 2020

For the first time in my 4 years here, I wish there was an "unlike" button. The elastic band bracelet on that particular watch is just wrong.:whipped:

TJH likes this.
  14. ChiefMark Jul 21, 2020

First time in 4 years? You are far more easy-going than I am. I try to avoid starting idiotic internet arguments. In this case, I certainly felt the same way, but had to give credit where credit is due. The man's daughter made the straps for him, and he wore them for her. That's 100% Dad material right there.

It does burn my retinas though.

15. ReturnOfUltraman Jul 21, 2020

upload_2020-7-21_14-54-7.gif

NGO1, ChiefMark and amcclell like this.
  16. mz_cle Jul 21, 2020

As a fellow father of daughters:

giphy.gif
    ajn3323, tumbler, Ramjet and 4 others like this.
  17. JwRosenthal Jul 21, 2020

I am not a father, but work with many- a Sponge Bob tie is not a personal choice- it’s taking one for the team.

NGO1 likes this.
  18. amcclell Jul 21, 2020

What movie was this from?

19. NGO1 Jul 21, 2020

J, I'd have to suit up to wear orange rubber band strap on a Lange. You can't sloppy this.

20. amcclell Jul 21, 2020

I'm a father of 3, and still have a friendship bracelet that still hangs from the neck of a high-end, custom-made guitar. I have a painted rock on my dresser that says world's best Dad. I dressed in a costume and got together with several just-as-uncoordinated dads to perform at my daughter's dance recital but I have to draw the line somewhere.....

mz_cle, janice&fred and JwRosenthal like this.