Forums Latest Members
  1. wguk Dec 18, 2019

Hi guys, I inherited an old Omega from my dad and I'd love to know a bit more, just bought my first Speedy and love it, but it got me thinking about the other Omega in the family and how I know literally nothing about it!

It was bought to celebrate the 100th anniversary of our family business, so it's likely from 1962/3/4. It's still in its original small red box, but no paperwork. I presume it's a Geneve... I've worn it a couple of times (wedding etc), but it goes largely unused, I think it has hardly been worn at all.

The case is 34/35mm including the crown, the caseback is plain except a few tiny tiny numbers, far too small to read clearly. It's manual winding, I'm not even sure what material it's made from... Gold?

I doubt it's worth much but I'd love to find out some history. Hopefully someone can help me find out more! I've found some pictures of old Geneve models on the Omega site but nothing that matches the date/dial. IMG_1804 - Copy.jpg IMG_1805 - Copy.jpg IMG_1806 - Copy.jpg Thanks in advance.

2. janice&fred Dec 18, 2019

you presume it's a geneve? :)

Verdi likes this.
  3. kkt Dec 19, 2019

Photos not really in focus. The key information is only available by having a watchmaker open the back. The inside of the case back will (probably) have a case reference number and a hallmark if it's karat gold. The movement, visible when the caseback is removed, will have the movement serial number which will give a rough estimate for the year of production, and the caliber (the model of the movement). They can also show some of the grosser problems that may happen with the movement. Photos of those two would be a great way to get some more information.

If you haven't been to a watchmaker already, post where you are and possibly someone can suggest a watchmaker. It's best to bring it to someone who's accustomed to working with vintage watches rather than modern.

Martin_F, janice&fred and Mark020 like this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 19, 2019

The watch looks more 1970’s than 1960’s.

I cannot tell if it is solid gold or gold plated/filled. You will need to have a watchmaker separate movement from case to make that determination.
    gatorcpa