ID Help - Vintage Seamaster

Hello all,

Looking to move into vintage Omega to add to my collection.
Can anyone please tell me the reference of this watch? It has a pressed Seamaster logo on the back side. This is the only photo I took from the display and its quite small so I apologise.

If you can identify, anything to be aware about?

Kind regards,
Ryan

Don't know the reference, but probably early 60's. Still has some leftover stylized indexes before the full plain look takes over of later models

If those are the only pictures. I wouldn't buy it. I would want to see the inside of the lugs due the metals bracelet rubbing against the inside of them

lets try 14775, but you should ask the seller for as much pictures as you can, movement caseback etc

I think you should post better photos and more info so we can potentially save you from making a mistake.

Thank you. I’m kicking myself as I wasn’t there to look at that, and then really liked the idea of a classic sea master or constellation.

I did try it on. And it was operational. I’ll request some more. Thank you!

We really need a clear straight on shot of the dial to check that it's original.

Thanks Dan.

Being an antique dealer and not a watch guy I am trying not to come across too keen.

He wants about $400 (USD) so I think it could be the right price in case of gremlins.

Crown is not original. Replacement gold plate

Could be 14kt gold bezel and lugs. It would say that between the lugs I think. Haven't had one for more than 20 years

Crown is not original. Replacement gold plate

Could be 14kt gold bezel and lugs. It would say that between the lugs I think. Haven't had one for more than 20 years

They are gold plated I imagine? Hence the wear?

Pretty little things. I might go back and see if they will negotiate and take the risk. Not a huge outlay.

$400 is on the high side for a gold-filled example. But as you say, it's not a huge outlay in absolute terms. I'd still like to verify that the dial is original. If it's repainted, it's really not a good buy at any price. With experience, you can tell in a few seconds.

This forum is fantastic, thank you all. I look forward to this new brand journey.

$400 is on the high side for a gold-filled example. But as you say, it's not a huge outlay in absolute terms. I'd still like to verify that the dial is original. If it's repainted, it's really not a good buy at any price. With experience, you can tell in a few seconds.
What does a re-painted dial mean, like touch ups?
I might use that in my negotiation.

Been reading that and other thread for the last few hours!
Watch the thread every day for a few weeks The mod @dsio has written review blog articles on many of the references and posts links to the writeups so it’s a tremendous learning opportunity for all. Patience and research are rewarded in this gig. And the opposite tends to be punished…. Have fun and ask lots of questions.

Watch the thread every day for a few weeks The mod @dsio has written review blog articles on many of the references and posts links to the writeups so it’s a tremendous learning opportunity for all. Patience and research are rewarded in this gig. And the opposite tends to be punished…. Have fun and ask lots of questions.

Everyone is much friendlier here compared to some of the other forums we frequent.

Repainted dials are stripped down to metal surface and completely repainted and then reprinted
There are tells with little details of fonts, minute track irregularities , missing text such as Swiss Made , incorrect dial code text etc. some are very well done hard to tell even by experienced collectors. But most are pretty obvious once you’ve seen a lot of examples. they aren’t all fakes per se, in the past if a dial was discoloured or damaged it was common for watchmakers to send dial for redial so owner had nice looking watch again. Some sellers will say dial was “ professionally restored” which is euphemism for redialed.
a good quality redial can be good thing for an owner who wants a better looking watch, but it severely devalues the watch from collectors viewpoint.
Hope this helps.

Repainted dials are stripped down to metal surface and completely repainted and then reprinted
There are tells with little details of fonts, minute track irregularities , missing text such as Swiss Made , incorrect dial code text etc. some are very well done hard to tell even by experienced collectors. But most are pretty obvious once you’ve seen a lot of examples. they aren’t all fakes per se, in the past if a dial was discoloured or damaged it was common for watchmakers to send dial for redial so owner had nice looking watch again. Some sellers will say dial was “ professionally restored” which is euphemism for redialed.
a good quality redial can be good thing for an owner who wants a better looking watch, but it severely devalues the watch from collectors viewpoint.
Hope this helps.
Absolutely.

It's like the service dial or replacement bezel discussion on some of the 5 digit and earlier sports Rolexes.