Forums Latest Members

Considering to buy: 1960 Seamaster Deville Automatic w crosshairs dial

1. SBBN Nov 15, 2016

Hi everyone,

First of all huge thanks for all the knowledge you share in this forum. Really worth a lot when youre a newbie to vintage watches!

I've been looking for a 60ies Seamaster Deville Automatic for some time and have found one on from a german dealer on ebay. It looks to me as its in good condition and, for my untrained eye, all the parts seem genuine enough.

Only thing that worries me is if its a franken... Its mostly the slight difference in colour on the movement, and the "S" in Seamaster that looks different, but I've heard that the pre 1963 models (before deville was printed on the dial) has a different kind of S. Its a cal 552 movement and checking with the Omega vintage archives it corresponds with a model made in 1960, but archive sats its a stel case (not gold plathed) and unfortunately there is no picture so I cant be sure. Also Im unable to find any information on which models had the crosshairs dial.

Im posting a few pictures from the dealer. Id really appreciate whatever info and opinions you could help me with. A redial is OK, but I don't want to spend 900Eur on a franken :-/

Best

IMG_0473.JPG IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0475.JPG IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0479.JPG

thelinendial likes this.
  2. ConElPueblo Nov 15, 2016

That looks all correct, apart from the replacement crown (IMO not a big deal, the colour difference will be close to imperceptible in real life) and - possibly - a replacement rotor.

The case is rather polished, which would bother some, especially on here. If you want a better specimen, it won't be difficult, as these are pretty common and this specific type with the frontloading case is often well preserved.

DaveK, thelinendial and SBBN like this.
  3. SBBN Nov 15, 2016

Thanks! I didn't even notice the crown was replaced, but see it quite clearly now that you mention it... And I see what you mean on the case. Id prefer one that as original as possible, while still in good condition so think ill pass on this one.

Ive been looking around quite a bit, but the ones with crosshair dials are hard to come by. Would ebay still be the place to look, or are there any other online places you would recommend too keep an eye on?

4. thelinendial Feb 7, 2019

Ah, this is exactly the watch I want!

5. VintageOmegaLove Aug 5, 2019

Digging up an old thread!

Did the Seamaster De Ville ever come with the crosshair? It looks great, but I wouldn’t like a redial.