Forums Latest Members

Icelandic Scammer Update - Stefan Birgir Stefansson and Magnus Sigurdsson

1. Maganator Oct 16, 2019

My name is Magnus and this is my oldest friend (given to me when I was born) called Siggurd.
    I am from Scotland and he was made in Israel.
    Can the record please reflect that neither of us are in any way involved in this (or any other) scam and we hope that the OP and others get their watches back.

963A6167-6CB0-435D-9B4A-2710EAFA26E9.jpeg

alecuncu, Alpha, khmt2 and 9 others like this.
  2. Walrus Oct 16, 2019

I think you are caught out and proper action will be taken. You left a trail and I doubt it will go away.

3. Maganator Oct 16, 2019

:whistling:Seriously though I hope it works out for the OP and others. So much of the watch community is based on trust and this whole thing sucks

4. guaranteed.rohu Oct 16, 2019

hahaha

Joe_A likes this.
  5. Walrus Oct 16, 2019

The teddy bear really pissed me off. He doesn’t realize how bad the info on him is.

6. Toishome Oct 16, 2019

By the way I forgot to mention I am going there in February. If this has not been resolved by then maybe I can go knock on some doors :mad: or heads.

Walrus likes this.
  7. guaranteed.rohu Oct 16, 2019

I think at a minimum you should be asking for this $180 back also. Absolutely more than reasonable.

8. guaranteed.rohu Oct 16, 2019

Thought I'd share some emails I sent Magnus the day that I received my $2 plastic watch in the mail. Safe to say, I feel very satisfied currently. This was September 11th 2019.

upload_2019-10-17_11-39-3.png

upload_2019-10-17_11-41-28.png

Edited Oct 16, 2019
    OHS, p4ul, inchpincher and 6 others like this.
  9. ReturnOfUltraman Oct 16, 2019

You knew all along you were going to get this guy back. Great job, and we all have your back.

10. Yak1 Oct 16, 2019

This reminds me of a piece of comedy I saw:

loniscup and guaranteed.rohu like this.
  11. guaranteed.rohu Oct 16, 2019

He also actually had the nerve to try and threaten me that he would go to the police and explain 'his side' that he had sent 'the Omega' to me that he used as bait to scam me with. This was after I exposed him with this thread.

I also love the advice on giving me advice on what will or won't help me with authorities.

I guess he went down doing what he loves best - spinning lies!

upload_2019-10-17_12-7-21.png

JanV likes this.
  12. machamp6650 Oct 16, 2019

What a dickhead. Clearly not showing a lot of contrition after being pulled up red handed...

After going through all this, I'd love to hear your thoughts about why this scammer has been so worried about the name Stefan Birgir Stefansson being thrown around. My assumption was that Magnus is the fake name and Stefan is the same guy's real name, so having the name out in the open has clear reputational and legal implications. Or is it more complicated than that?

You're doing a great job getting on top of this guy, keep it up!

guaranteed.rohu likes this.
  13. makaria indica Oct 16, 2019

Maybe "Icelandic review" would like to do an article of people giving Iceland a bad name.......

[email protected]

I am sure the editorial team would be fascinated by this thread :)

guaranteed.rohu and Toishome like this.
  14. guaranteed.rohu Oct 16, 2019

Thanks appreciate the support!

I'd say I am certain there are two people, Magnus Sigurdsson and Stefan Birgir Stefansson, who are cousins. What is unclear is who is involved in the scamming and who is not. It could be just one of the two, it could be both. I am currently assuming everything the scammer is saying is a lie, and will just assume it is both of them.

And you are right - it's fascinating that even when caught red handed, the scammer Magnus/Stefan is still trying to weasel his way out of it. Clearly a sociopathic liar, and frankly an arrogant fool for thinking making threats at me will help his cause in ANY way.

I will say that, regardless, both are very much aware that this is going on now. It is impossible that Stefan would be having his PayPal account used, associated with his personal email.

15. BradleyJ. Oct 16, 2019

Doesn't matter. Even if one is innocent, dragging his name thru the mud will hopefully get him to knock some sense into the guilty one. Better to have someone nearby the guilty party to move things along

16. mickygee Oct 16, 2019

i follow this thread with great interest - i was also scammed many years ago, but unlike you i just let it be a lesson learned - however your response helps mitigate chances other will be scammed by this person in the future, and you may get your watch back, and you may give this guy his whats coming to him. much better result

17. thelinendial Oct 17, 2019

Pat on the shoulder for how far you got.

Did you check if his photos had geo location embedded in?

Epictetus, Uniqez and guaranteed.rohu like this.
  18. guaranteed.rohu Oct 17, 2019

I didn't, but great idea.

Also given a number of forums have his IP address, it's not a big deal either way.

19. ConElPueblo Oct 17, 2019

Have anyone pointed any of the online watch media to this thread? I think it could be a good idea; not to name and shame, but in order to get other victims out in the open.

JanV, Eve, Wivac and 1 other person like this.
  20. guaranteed.rohu Oct 17, 2019

I think that's an excellent idea. Chances are if anyone was scammed by a guy in Reykjavik in the past 3 years, I'd say it's a close to 100% chance it is the same culprit.