I would like to buy a new Speedmaster, but I have tiny wrists

The wife said that she would like to buy me a Rolex. The past couple of years have been tough, with her elderly parents taking a lot of her time and energy and me stepping up to the plate and supporting her and doing a lot more than my fair share. Now that they are gone and she's got some money from the estate, she mentioned it out of the blue recently, that she'd like to do that for me.

But my Rolex days are mostly over. I still like them, and I wouldn't kick a Submariner out of bed for eating crackers, but there are so many alternatives. Like this, for instance.

Speedy.JPG

Pretty, isn't it? I like the sword hands, the sticks used on my previous Speedmasters were not to my liking, and I couldn't read the time on my Apollo 8, which was too big anyway. This one should fit me great, at 40mm. And Doc shared his story and some great pics of his new '57 here. The only issue I have now is that none of the ADs in my state have one in stock, and I don't know if I'll be able to try it on before I (or the wife) buy(s) it. And I've already been warned that I am not to sell/flip whatever it is that she buys me.

I have 6" wrists, kind of flat, very hairy. This is me wearing my departed sapphire sandwich:

20201013_080020.jpg

I know it's a little out of proportion because of taking a selfie with a phone at a close distance, but you can see a bit of lug overhang. From what I can find on the Internet, the lug-to-lug measurement on the 42mm sandwich is 47-48mm, the Sub is 48mm and the '57 is 49.6mm. So you see my concern.

I did try on the new "41mm" Sub at my local AD, and it seems to fit me OK.

What say you guys and gals? Do I go for the '57, go back to the Rolex, or something entirely different? I have a similar issue with the PO, it is impossible to find one in a store/boutique/AD in the rare 38mm size.

36mm will seem very small. It’s the bezel which makes it wear smaller then a 36mm sort or dress watch.

36mm will seem very small. It’s the bezel which makes it wear smaller then a 36mm sort or dress watch.

I appreciate the reply, but I'm not sure where 36mm came from... 😵‍💫

There is no substitute for trying on. This is a cop out, but I would say wait until you have a chance to try them on side by side and just see what feels best. Travel is obviously all messed up these days, but the new ‘57s and the old Speedy 38s are in most of the OBs right now (at least in one color-way), and most good Rolex dealers will at least have the display only models to try on. Why not plan a long weekend with your (clearly awesome) wife sometime in the future, and make sure it’s to a place with some good in person options.

I appreciate the reply, but I'm not sure where 36mm came from... 😵‍💫
Typo 38mm

My sub is smaller than my moonwatch, but the moonwatch wears smaller. Try them all on, and make your own decision.

6" wrists are very small for a Speedy Pro. Frankly, I'm surprised you were ok with the sapphire sandwich, although it doesn't look as outrageous in that photo as I would have expected. In contrast with Phil, I think that 36-38mm could be a nicer size for you.

6" wrists are very small for a Speedy Pro. Frankly, I'm surprised you were ok with the sapphire sandwich, although it doesn't look as outrageous in that photo as I would have expected. In contrast with Phil, I think that 36-38mm could be a nicer size for you.

I wasn't really OK with it (the Sandwich), I thought it was a smidgen large for me. Which is why I'm hoping that this 40mm watch will work better.

38 is pretty optimal for me, but I'm not really digging the proportions of the 38mm Speedmasters, unfortunately.

From what I can find on the Internet, the lug-to-lug measurement on the 42mm sandwich is 47-48mm, the Sub is 48mm and the '57 is 49.6mm. So you see my concern.

I did try on the new "41mm" Sub at my local AD, and it seems to fit me OK.

What say you guys and gals? Do I go for the '57, go back to the Rolex, or something entirely different? I have a similar issue with the PO, it is impossible to find one in a store/boutique/AD in the rare 38mm size.

If the '57 calls out to you, go with the '57. And go with the 40.5mm if you think the 38mm has strange proportions.

I think the overhang is fine unless the overhang makes wearing the watch uncomfortable. I feel like I can say this because I probably have smaller wrist than you (sub-6"), hahaha.

You should see if there are any '57 owners that would be willing to let you try it on.

I wasn't really OK with it (the Sandwich), I thought it was a smidgen large for me. Which is why I'm hoping that this 40mm watch will work better.

38 is pretty optimal for me, but I'm not really digging the proportions of the 38mm Speedmasters, unfortunately.
While 40mm seems appealing on paper, the new Speedy 57 has a rather long lug to lug of almost 50mm.

I have slim wrists, about 6.7 inches. I find that 38-40mm is my sweet spot, but can go up to 43mm depending on the watch. The Speed Pro was fine for me, because the lug to lug is about 47mm. In contrast, when I tried on the new heritage Seamaster 300, it didn't fit as well on my wrist. Because its lug to lug is about 49mm, really more like 50mm+ with the end-links, and the lugs seem to not taper down as much compared to the Moonwatch.

I've yet to try on the new Speedmaster 57, but I'm afraid its lug to lug of 50mm will not sit well on slimmer wrists. It may depend upon how the lugs taper down around one's. For me, trying on a piece is an absolute must before buying.

Might help to know whether you’d consider something vintage/preowned and if you have a budget in mind.

I’ve got a 6.75” wrist (two of them, actually), and find 36mm (under 50mm lug to lug) optimal, 38 pretty good, 40mm pushing into silly territory, and 42mm+ just clownish. (I actually think most people wearing 40mm+ aren’t really considering what looks well fitted to them in any objective way, but to each their own.)

If I had your wrists, I’d probably rule out anything above 37mm. But there are many many options available, especially if you don’t need the AD experience. Depending on budget, you could do a preowned Rolex Day-Date that would be very special. Or one of older, smaller Seamaster divers. Lots of 36mm options in Aqua Terra. For a new option, the Rolex Explorer I…

But not sure about Speedy options.

Maybe the First Omega in Space speedy, which is still large at about 39.5mm (if I recall correctly). I think some are still kicking around preowned in mint or even nib condition.

But my Rolex days are mostly over. I still like them, and I wouldn't kick a Submariner out of bed for eating crackers, but there are so many alternatives.

Unclear from the post whether you’re up to date on the difficulty of purchasing a new Rolex? Maybe you’re a VIP at your local Rolex AD and fully apprised, though otherwise you might languish on “a list” for many months and still not get “the call.”

Which, depending on your situation, might make part of the decision for you.

FYI, here’s the 39.7mm NEW321 next to the new 41mm Sub and the 42mm Speedy Pro. In looking at these photos, my personal take-away is that gross measurements don’t tell you everything about how a watch appears, size-wise.

2FCC95EA-D263-487E-BE53-EC2B79DA4A8E.jpeg

6A85805F-5F9F-438F-A49A-986826B8F7F4.jpeg

I have 6” wrist and when I tried on my friend’s Speedy Pro it felt massive.

as a couple others have mentioned, trying it on is the way to go - pure specs won't help decide since the case / bracelet / strap sits differently
fwiw i also did not think the sapphire sandwich looked egregiously large

If I had your wrists, your wife's budget, and my taste, I'd be looking at something like this (and get change out of the deal):
20934994-7duxagqpg7sc95avudf9hyk2-ExtraLarge.jpg

Maybe the First Omega in Space speedy, which is still large at about 39.5mm (if I recall correctly). I think some are still kicking around preowned in mint or even nib condition.
FOiS wears functionally the same as a pro, the only difference between them is the FOIS does not have crown guards which widen the case.

Another option if one likes the Speedmaster '57 look is the Trilogy 60th Anniversary Speedmaster '57. It's also 39mm like the FOIS, but with the look of the true original '57. 👍

The reason why the 1863 Speedy looks and feel big on you is because of the bracelet. The end link protrudes out a fair amount and that results in overhang on smaller wrists.

The current 3861 Speedy's bracelet is much better in this aspect. I am very happy with how the speedy fits on my 6" wrist with the new bracelet, maybe you should give it a try.