I was sold a fake Omega Seamaster by overseas dealer.

I'm normally a Rolex buyer but after watching a video by the The Timeless Watch Channel I was sold on the
Omega – 2225.80.00 – Seamaster 300m – Stainless Steel – Blue Dial 42mm – Chrono. I found a ebay site in Japan with very nearly 100 positive reviews and a very well priced but slightly worn Seamaster. Paid my money and got the watch a week ago. Immediately thought it was not right. I know Rolex's much better but took it to my dealer who confirmed complete fake. Never had this happen to me before. The first photo is the fake. A few
scratches on the bezel and bracelet. But it felt wrong - the strap had screws for the links (not pins as this model has) and of course when we opened it crap movement. Anyway a few very terse emails and after I got a report from the AD it was sent back to Japan. I found a much better one on Chrono in Sydney (I'm in Australia) and for a slightly higher price. Apart from a few missing links it was perfect. I just cant believe a so called reputable dealer would do something like this. I may have lost the duty which they refused to refund - I could still get it back through DHL. They did pay me some of the costs - inspection report and DHL handling costs.
What would do differently next time? Maybe ask for a picture of the movement.

Hi,

I’m sorry for your misadventure.
Next time, you could ask here before buying. There are lots of very knowledgeable people on this forum 👍

Do you have photos of the movement inside it? That top photo looks like a 2599.80 which is a different reference from the 2225.80 but I the obvious tells of a fake aren’t there in that photo.

OMG, that's so disappointing. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I must admit, I was toying with the idea of getting a second hand Seamaster GMT 2534.80 and I've seen a couple of reasonably priced pieces on Ebay, also from Japanese sellers. However, I was concerned at the lack of detail of some of these listings or any sort of guarantee of authenticity. Your story has made me even more wary about buying second hand watches online.

Here are some more pics courtesy AD. The big give away is the cheap chinese movement. Also the correct tool did not match the watch to open up.
So get a photo of the movement - then check with your AD. Also the blue was wrong and the back did not even fit correctly. I would have loved to take a sledge hammer to it.

I will post a pic of the correct movement on Tuesday when we get out of lockdown.

Hi,

I’m sorry for your misadventure.
Next time, you could ask here before buying. There are lots of very knowledgeable people on this forum 👍
Not much I could ask really - I did actually post a photo of it before it arrived. But yes if I had a pic of the movement - but then I could have worked it out. The perils of buying on ebay.

Does the Japanese eBay site mean Yahoo Auctions?
If so, please tell me about the seller as I am Japanese and live in Japan and use Yahoo Auction.

Does the Japanese eBay site mean Yahoo Auctions?
If so, please tell me about the seller as I am Japanese and live in Japan and use Yahoo Auction.
I just used ebay - I'm not familiar with yahoo actions. japan_markets. I have got most of my money back. But am out of pocket 296.00. I'm sure there are many reputable dealers in Japan.. But I will ask for much more details if there is a next time.

I'm sincerely sorry for the OP's trouble with this watch purchase. However, without the name of the seller, this thread seems a bit pointless. We already know to be careful not to buy fake watches. And sadly, we are well aware that so-called "reputable" sellers are sometimes actually scammers.

I'm sincerely sorry for the OP's trouble with this watch purchase. However, without the name of the seller, this thread seems a bit pointless. We already know to be careful not to buy fake watches. And sadly, we are well aware that so-called "reputable" sellers are sometimes actually scammers.
I put the name above. And i did get most of my money back. Except gov duty. japan_markets.

How about Ebays authentication?
That’s only in the USA for now.
gatorcpa

That would be very useful. But probably too hard to set up in the smaller market of Australia.

I just used ebay - I'm not familiar with yahoo actions. japan_markets. I have got most of my money back. But am out of pocket 296.00. I'm sure there are many reputable dealers in Japan.. But I will ask for much more details if there is a next time.
I understand. Thank you very much.

I put the name above. And i did get most of my money back. Except gov duty. japan_markets.

You can fill out a form “ring Border force or look on website” to get your $296 back. Not that hard and worth $296 for 30 minutes of work.

Did you apply for a refund on tax/duty through customs?
It should be possible as long as you have the documentation from AD that the watch is fake and a copy of the refund from paypal/ebay.

Not the same case, but a few years ago I bought a watch winder that was quite expensive.
Seller wrote full price on the package (due to insurance)
So I had to pay a lot more in tax. Applied for a refund with documentation that I payed 50% less, got the money back from customs within short time.

Did you apply for a refund on tax/duty through customs?
It should be possible as long as you have the documentation from AD that the watch is fake and a copy of the refund from paypal/ebay.

Not the same case, but a few years ago I bought a watch winder that was quite expensive.
Seller wrote full price on the package (due to insurance)
So I had to pay a lot more in tax. Applied for a refund with documentation that I payed 50% less, got the money back from customs within short time.
I'm going to try. So far no luck. But I have comprehensive documentation.
On a happier note I could not be happier with the replacement watch. What a beautiful piece. From Zaeger Pty Ltd in Sydney. I bought a moonwatch in the late sixties but had to sell it due to lack of funds. To my great regret. Omega make really beautiful watches that seem very reasonably priced. I'm going to get a replacement soon.