Forums Latest Members
  1. Omegamonkey Feb 27, 2021

I have been following the forum for awhile and wanted to see if I have learned enough to be dangerous to my wallet. I try to follow the "how to fish" info and have passed on many watches over the past months from what you have taught me. I also use Omega Enthusiast as my higher retail benchmark for prices to get an upper price range. The following auction ended tonight and this was my thoughts before I bid. Non pro seller, limited photos, bid up to high $600s, early by active watch buyers. For all I know the case might have been empty but one way to learn a lesson. I spent a fair amount time comparing to an OE 1958 Seamaster and it appeared good to me (remember I know nothing). I bid $825 in last minute (previous price was $690) and it sold at $880. While I know I was taking a chance on the movement but was I wrong about the dial, crown, hands, etc?? Thanks for your patience with new collectors. I appreciate your feedback https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

omegailost.jpg omega2.jpg omega3.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  2. CaliberKingPin Feb 27, 2021

I’m no expert and just starting out too but to my untrained eye it looked like a nice watch to me.

There will be others!

Omegamonkey likes this.
  3. seekingseaquest Feb 27, 2021

Looks like a nice watch but definitely polished. I think you can find a nice gold capped Seamaster for cheaper, with some patience.

Omegamonkey likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2021

Mate it could be worse, I was bidding on my SMPP in my avatar about 7 years ago and really wanted it, to the point that I was going to bid $5,000 for it. I set a max bid of $50,000 by mistake, thankfully it ended around $5k-ish and I didn’t lose a mint.

There are many of these Seamasters, Omega made them in enormous numbers and built them to such a high standard that the survival rate is very high. The total number of these Calibre 5xx series Seamaster and Constellations from that golden era is like 30 million units or something just to put it into perspective.

MtV, Lucasssssss, Njnjcfp88 and 12 others like this.
  5. arkman Feb 27, 2021

I think it was a good first foray into the Ebay market. If you had got it for $825, it would have been a fair price, but as dsio points out, there are a lot more of these to be had.

Omegamonkey likes this.
  6. Dan S Feb 27, 2021

Price is in the right ballpark IMO, but no bargain. Especially after taxes.

7. 11Tenths Feb 27, 2021

Uh oh, you just helped me discover Omega Enthusiast's site.

Could be trouble.

Omegamonkey likes this.
  8. mrbreen Feb 27, 2021

Looked like a nice watch on auction. I dunno... it’s never totally possible to assess with eBay photos, but if the dial and lume are really in that good condition, I think the OP watch would be at least ~2x more expensive on Omega Enthusiast. It would be serviced though.

9. CaliberKingPin Feb 27, 2021

Dsio really $50k. Wow that is a crazy story ! Did you almost faint when you realized that.

Ok maybe I’m just old but what does OP stand for? I only know it as Over Powered for gamers, original post of forums?

Neither of these seem to fit the post above?

dsio likes this.
  10. rob#1 Feb 27, 2021

Yep, Original Post (or Poster)

11. Shabbaz Feb 27, 2021

MtV, mrbreen and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. apsm100 applysome! Feb 27, 2021

Going to bid 51K on all future auctions. ::bleh::

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2021

OP = original post or original poster in a thread, first post or person who made it typically

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2021

Here’s the thread where it happened:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/dennis-seamaster-pie-pans-twin-on-ebay.862/

DaveK likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal Feb 28, 2021

Someone wanted it more than you, that’s what it always comes down to. Auctions that are “nice to have”, I bid what I think is a fair deal, in my favor. It’s a 50/50 shot if I get them. If I really want it, I go balls to the wall- I don’t let anyone take it from me. I always win those- sometimes I pay way more than I thought was rational, sometimes I actually get a good deal. But I never regret buying those and in the end, realize that what I thought was foolish turned out to be a smart buy.

16. CaliberKingPin Feb 28, 2021

Thanks crazy dsio. Good story thou.

17. slavedata Feb 28, 2021

The thing about ebay is how much do you want to pay. I set a snipe at the maximum I want to pay and then forget it. If I win I win if I don't its sold to high in my opinion and I am glad I wasn't tempted to bid more. Different in online real auctions where the auctioneer will tell people in the room one more bid could have it. Then I will put my bid in ahead below my maximum, watch the auction live and be prepared to stick in another bid.

18. Dsplash Feb 28, 2021

Lucky for you you were the only one who made that mistake on this auction!
    The seller would have had a heart attack seeing a 50k final price! :D

19. Omegamonkey Feb 28, 2021

Thanks for all the feedback. I feel good knowing I was on the right track and know there will be many more opportunities in the future. Back to the hunt...

20. JwRosenthal Feb 28, 2021

Omegamonkey likes this.