I like Rolex. I really do. But enough already!

Just perusing the popular watch dealer sites, and 90% of what they are offering are Subs, Daytonas, GMTs, etc. Hulk this, Pepsi that. I’m mean, really - my eyes are glazing over. How much of these iterations can you push on the buying public before they reach a tipping point, and they find out that everyone else in their social strata has one who wants one, and therefore it’s not that exciting anymore? Is there no end to this?

I remember in the 1980’s, everyone wanted a Mercedes. Then BMW got popular. Years later, everyone wanted a Land Rover.

What’s your prediction: does the Rolex madness continue, or will it be supplanted by another brand? Will Omega fill the void?

Bob's Rolex in Miami currently has 27 (twenty-seven) pre-owned Daytona's for sale, most at 2x-3x MSRP. I would think this might signal a turning point in the frenzy. Whether it does or not, I don't see another brand taking over from Rolex.

A long ass recession might cure the madness. I am equally tired of that a quarter of all article on the watch blogs/watch news outlets are about Rolex. I mean how many “Best Rolex for under $10,000”, “Best Rolex from the 80s” “Best under the radar Rolex” do we need?

Rolex seems to be the plât du jour right now. But let’s not forget; everything ends eventually.

I wonder how high inflation rates, or fear thereof, will affect the market for Rolex. Maybe more people will start snatching up the usual popular sports models in hopes of insulating some of their wealth from inflationary losses, thus driving demand up even higher.

Rolexes seem to be a pretty gilt-edged way of investing these days.

Will Omega fill the void?

I doubt it. Rolex > Omega. 😉
Edited:

Bob's Rolex in Miami currently has 27 (twenty-seven) pre-owned Daytona's for sale, most at 2x-3x MSRP. I would think this might signal a turning point in the frenzy. Whether it does or not, I don't see another brand taking over from Rolex.

I see a LOT of pretty much all of the “hard to get” sport models listed as BNIB (or however you want to put it) on pretty much every secondary market site. Personally…I think the “supply shortage” is manufactured.

Agreed. Rolex is the aspirational watch brand for the masses, regardless of what some folks might like to think of them.

Rolex is the worst. It’s about time someone said so.
At least their movements don’t die in the showroom and the clasps don’t get recalled under a yr from release.

At the moment it seems that everyone is chasing the same references for Patek, Rolex and AP, and Richard Mille. To these buyers no other brands matter. . Unless social media finds a new darling to worship, not likely to end any time soon.

At least their movements don’t die in the showroom

Oh boy...if you only knew...

Bob's Rolex in Miami currently has 27 (twenty-seven) pre-owned Daytona's for sale, most at 2x-3x MSRP.

Good stat. At first I thought I took this as a sign the bubble is popping, but upon reflection, I'm not so sure. Rolex sells 1,000,000 watches a year. 27 is a tiny percentage, even after you take out all the ladies' datejusts and such. That may only be a month of Daytona sales for Bob's

I think Omega is already filling the void to some extent. The Seamaster Pro 300M diver is just an extremely good watch for the money compared to scalper rate subs and the SM300s, Aqua Terras, and Speedmasters can all be bought in a shop in exchange for currency. Which is a key feature of any watch really.

Get a grip, folks. Rolex is one of the most valuable brands in the world. It's not going anywhere, it will continue to be one of the most sought after objects in a world where more and more people are obtaining economic success. No sense being bitter about it.

While I tend to agree that Rolex as a 'name' isn't going anywhere, and don't speculate on market trends much (unless I'm hunting a particular piece) I did actually have an interesting exchange with one of my clients - who has steadfastly been a 'Seiko to beat up, Rolex for everything else' guy since the 70s - earlier this week.

He came in to see me at my shop and happened to look at my wrist; we've chatted watches before and had both expressed our enjoyment of Rolex and Seiko, but hadn't really talked in-depth at all about any brands. Well that day I was wearing my new (to me) Planet Ocean 42 in blue and he raised his eyebrows, asked me; "Now that's not your Rolex and it isn't your regular Seiko; did Grand Seiko come out with a new diver?"

I was surprised he didn't know the name for a moment, then he went; "Omega! My father wore one of those his whole life! They make divers now?" (IDK, maybe he just thought Speedmasters were it these days)

So I told him a little more about it, took it off, let him try it on; he was shocked by the weight - really the lack of - I explained I'd gone for titanium over steel, etc. Then with a sort of surprised shrug he handed it back and said; "Well I have to say that is one of the most beautifully finished dials I've ever seen. Huh. They carry those over at XXX (local AD), don't they? Are they open today?"

The whole time, wearing his usual Rolex (a 'basic' Perpetual today) - anyway, point is that while we WIS folk and those devoted to the brand know it, and there has been a HUGE marketing push the last decade or two, I suspect there are still a few more folks Omega might not win OVER from the big R; but at least get some business from.

*Obligatory gratuitous wrist shot/grumpy dog pic:
IMG_0368.jpg

Bob's Rolex in Miami currently has 27 (twenty-seven) pre-owned Daytona's for sale, most at 2x-3x MSRP. I would think this might signal a turning point in the frenzy.

I think it only signals that if he lowers the price, the watches will sell faster

Bob always seems to have a lot, and for a few points above alternative sellers.

Not being a Rolex guy it has stream lined my website reading….