I have inherited this watch Swiss Certina

Hi there,
I inherited this watch.
Its a Certina Swiss watch on a leather strap.
It appears to have been overwound, not working!
Has not been serviced I think.
Any info would be gladly received.
Any idea of price or rarity or age please?
Many thanks

Not near the value of your Omega. $100 range if it worked. Generic manual wind dress Certina from the early 70s I would guess. Still a nice watch but not that collectible.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry for your loss.
The main value will be sentimental. Certina are good quality swiss watches but servicing movements is expensive and this watch has little monetary value for the following two reasons:
1/ it’s gold plated -as evidenced by the steel back, and the lugs are scratched even though the dial is very clean.
2/ While Certina was a good quality brand, and good value again in terms of quality, it is relatively obscure brand nowadays.
I would say it’s worth about 150 euros- which means the cost of a service in most countries of the western world unfortunately exceeds the monetary value of the watch.

That being said, it is a clean and elegant 1960s watch- and if it comes from someone you loved it is entirely worth servicing and wearing as a precious keepsake.

Not near the value of your Omega. $100 range if it worked. Generic manual wind dress Certina from the early 70s I would guess. Still a nice watch but not that collectible.
Thank you very much !
I really appreciate your knowledge and help!
Will treasure it.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry for your loss.
The main value will be sentimental. Certina are good quality swiss watches but servicing movements is expensive and this watch has little monetary value for the following two reasons:
1/ it’s gold plated -as evidenced by the steel back, and the lugs are scratched even though the dial is very clean.
2/ While Certina was a good quality brand, and good value again in terms of quality, it is relatively obscure brand nowadays.
I would say it’s worth about 150 euros- which means the cost of a service in most countries of the western world unfortunately exceeds the monetary value of the watch.

That being said, it is a clean and elegant 1960s watch- and if it comes from someone you loved it is entirely worth servicing and wearing as a precious keepsake.
Thank You so much!!
What a fantastic reply with so much information and I thank you for your condolences!
I’m very glad my dad had some class and style!
I will keep it forever and treasure it! Would love to get it serviced!
Thanks a million for taking your time to provide me with all your knowledge and care!!

If you have it serviced, and are STILL concerned that the watch can be wound TOO tight, I guarantee it still won’t run well. If you have it service, wind it TIGHT!

Although this watch is probably only worth £80 to £120 uk sterling, its a good watch. It will have a good quality movement that will provide many years of good service after a visit to a watchmaker. Parts are also reasonably priced for these movements.

Although this watch is probably only worth £80 to £120 uk sterling, its a good watch. It will have a good quality movement that will provide many years of good service after a visit to a watchmaker. Parts are also reasonably priced for these movements.
Many Thanks for this information!
I am finding the whole watch collecting and enthusiasts really interesting and this forum has been super helpful and friendly!
Thanks again!

Roughly where are you based ( thinking about your service options)

You might like this site as well…
https://www.vintagecertinas.ch/en/home-en/
I live in Belfast NI.
Thank you so much for your reply and link to a great website!
It does appear that Certina was a high quality Swiss producer of time pieces!
My Father wore this watch everyday for as long as I new him until his sad passing at age 64! So I am very proud he had some class and style with his watch as well as his clothing style!
Thanks again!
Thank you for your reply and excellent Certina Link!
It seems that this is a quality make
Roughly where are you based ( thinking about your service options)

You might like this site as well…
https://www.vintagecertinas.ch/en/home-en/