Forums Latest Members
  1. Firefly Jan 26, 2016

In the past 25 years, the only brand I follow is Casio, I have Edifice, g-shock, Oceanus. They are powerful, tough, accurate and convenient, but not elegant and honored by the history. Now, I just got to a new level of time piece, I gave up the new version g-shock, which is MR.G G1000, and pay more $5000 get an speedmaster co-axial moon watch.

one thing that I feel uncomfortable is about the second hand. In the past, the second hand will always moving on the watch I wore. But the speedy normally just let the small second hand moving while the long choreograph second hand sleeping. I think the watch is beautiful only the long second hand is moving. Is there anybody has the same feeling like me ? How to solve this problem.

I got an solution which is using the right sub-dial as an another time zone time display. But one thing I concern is whether permanently letting the chronograph second hand running will run out power much more quickly?

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 26, 2016

No, it won't use any more power. Running the chrono does require more torque, which will mean at low power levels, there may not be enough torque to run the chrono. But if you wind every day you will be fine.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 26, 2016

Actually, the co-ax is auto, so no issue whatsoever.

4. Firefly Jan 26, 2016

"won't use any more power, is that true?"

By the energy conservation law, only small second hand running will definitely cause less energy than both small and chronograph second hand running right. The maximum power reserve is 60 Hrs, which means if I just leave it there, the watch can run 60hr, but if I leave it with chronograph running, will it also can run 60hr?

Though it is automatic, but actually, I mostly just sitting in front of an computer, barely move my hand. So I still worried about the energy problem

5. Firefly Jan 26, 2016

I insert some photo of my watch

IMG_4353.JPG IMG_4354.JPG
  6. Dombo63 Jan 29, 2016

That top photo is great, cool watch, cool pen, and some impressive maths. I'll show that to my teenage son - THAT'S why maths is cool!

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 29, 2016

Agree.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 29, 2016

@Archer wrote this up in detail somewhere, which I can't find now. But, my memory:
    - lets at it runs for 60 hrs without the chrono running.
    - if the chrono is running, at, maybe 55 hours there will no longer be enough torque, so the watch will stop running. HOWEVER, if, at that point, you stopped the chrono, the watch should run for another 5 hours.

I will keep hunting for archers post

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 29, 2016

10. Firefly Feb 1, 2016

Math is beautiful , isn't it ? My professor always says that ^_^

11. Firefly Feb 1, 2016

12. Fernando Feb 9, 2016

I had the same feeling until I just learn to live with it.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 10, 2016

TLDR

The seconds hands are tied together when you engage the chrono, the second hand is driven by the unwinding of the spring. So no it does not use more power. On the other hand the chrono requires more torque so the watch would stop sooner if the chrono is engaged as the spring provides less torque as it is wound down. If the watch stopped with the chrono engaged, and you stopped it, the watch would then start and power the rest of the watch untill it has run down. So lets say that the watch has a 40 hour reserve, but after 30 hours the torque is too low and the watch stopped. At that point you could stop the chrono and it would go for 10 more hours.

14. wx_073 Feb 28, 2016

Congrats! Nice watch! Wear it in good health!