Forums Latest Members

I don't understand the recent Rolex SS craze/shortage. What am I missing?

1. petay993 Jun 22, 2019

I enjoy my Rolex pieces but I will never pay over list as it makes me feel a mug lining someone else pocket!

I am waiting for a Cameron Deep Sea, have a small deposit down and am currently 8th on the list at my AD. They reckon 12 months and I will be patient and enjoy life in the meantime. I balked at paying the deposit but at least I know I am physically on the famous "list" as opposed to the "expression of interest "bull*hit"

stuart70 likes this.
  2. Steve Essex Jun 22, 2019

Rolex buyers and dealers. Phhhtt! Reminds me of this:

Uniqez, Mad Dog, propervinyl and 2 others like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 22, 2019

The head of Rolex UK says it... right they are going to admit it to AD’s who are complaining about not getting as much stock. Makes sense.

4. JwRosenthal Jun 22, 2019

I’ve said it before, no intelligent or self respecting person would tolerate someone who we are pursuing (male or female) playing games or being dismissive- why would one tolerate that in a retailer. Move on and spend your money with a brand that actually wants it.

Alex_TA, nzshadow and stevec14 like this.
  5. Huus Jun 22, 2019

It is mainly the 5 digit series that have my interest. As is to be expected they have been going up in price also. Never bought a new one yet, mainly as most of the newer designs just don't do it for me and are also over my budget. But I certainly could not justify to myself to pay over retailers recommended prices, I rather go without. Not the end of the world, plenty of other fish in the sea.
    Why there is a shortage, no idea and I won't even speculate on it. No doubt it 'll be solved sooner or later.

6. harrymai86 Jun 26, 2019

Not sure if there is a drop but seem like Batman and Hulk prices are getting softer, many are dumping their pieces to the markets. Ceramic daytonas are still out of control ffs.

7. krh7 Jun 26, 2019

you only need to be the 2nd to last fool. as long as there is one more behind you, you're OK.

8. American Jedi Jul 16, 2019

The sooner people stop coveting Rolex and feeding the wolves (grays) the sooner thing will reach sanity. Sadly I think Rolex likes the current market. They have never done better.

When my AD can’t supply w/ what I want he just gives me these pills to hold me over.

Gamma likes this.
  9. American Jedi Jul 16, 2019

The only way things will change is if people stop coveting Rolex and stop feeding the wolves (grays) I think Rolex likes the current situation. They’ve never been better.

When my AD can’t give me what I want he flips me these to hold me over

6DF84933-F9BF-46C0-9B15-2FF7BE6C4686.jpeg
    jankymutt likes this.
  10. wsfarrell Jul 24, 2019

A recent post from Rolex Forums. Emphasis added.

"So as the title reads, I've been disgruntled and salty because many of my local dealers (DFW) have been pushing pm watches to combo a in demand stainless watch or buying something else in the store at the same time or in the past (loyal customer). I've search for the better part of a year with zero luck. Anyway, I sent in a complaint that effectively said that the pricing is misleading if your dealer network requires other purchases to be able to purchase a more in-demand watch. Surprisingly enough I just got a call from a very nice person who said he was with Rolex for 24 years and wanted to speak to me about it.

A couple of talking points:

- Rolex is aware and as of three months ago started a customer relations email to track issues with customers and their dealer network.

- Rolex has been making more watches but it takes a while to ramp up. He did not disclose specific figures.

- Not allowing AD's to leverage a watch with other watches or non-Rolex items to be able to purchase a watch was just added to their AD guidelines.

- Training sessions for AD's are coming to ensure a similar experience across all Rolex locations.

-There are teams of Rolex employees to crack down on the flipping for a secondary market.

- Lastly, he stressed to wait to buy from a Rolex AD instead of the grey market/secondary market. To "be patient and there will be relief" but wait to buy from an authorized dealer."

Civic4982 and larryganz like this.
  11. MTROIS Jul 24, 2019

…a bit reassuring to hear that they are taking this seriously... and not just resting on their “crown”!

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 24, 2019

Here’s an idea make enough so people just don’t buy them to flip...

Cad290, jankymutt and nzshadow like this.
  13. Njnjcfp88 Jul 25, 2019

Lower production and Insatiable demand equals frustrated consumers who might eventually tire and move on. “ Eventually” is the operative word.

jankymutt likes this.
  14. Waxtactic Jul 25, 2019

1) I've heard the same from a guy I trust and has been able to successfully get me some SS pieces. He indicated it's only a 5% increase which as we all know wont satisfy demand.
    2) Thank heavens. I'd love to see this bundling crap taken away and the focus be more on developing a good relationship with the AD so both parties end up happy.

Civic4982 likes this.
  15. krh7 Jul 25, 2019

given all this, how many years before we are back to getting discounts on ss sports from the grey market? 2 years? submariners can't sell above list forever (given history from the last 30 years). don't tell me about china's emerging middle class either. eventually we'll be back to "normal", no?

jankymutt likes this.
  16. Uniqez Jul 26, 2019

I don't see any ways how they control secondary market.....They have tried to hold on to the paperwork, I'm sure it helped a tiny bit, but cracking down the secondary market - is a bold statement)

Nathan1967 likes this.
  17. MTROIS Jul 26, 2019

All good... will keep spending my money on other brands....

KingCrouchy and JwRosenthal like this.
  18. kilofinal Jul 27, 2019

Yeah,,,,,,,the Chinese Ponzi can only last for so long...

19. redzer007 Jul 27, 2019

they track the watches back to the AD and strike them. One watch every now and then wont be an issue and individual sellers wont be an issue, but if an AD is supplying a Grey Dealer - that would be an issue.

2c however is that Rolex have intentionally created this shortage to drive up prices, grey prices will be become AD prices as supply increases. I have a couple (and Ill buy another vintage), but I think there is more watch available for the money.

Civic4982 likes this.
  20. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 27, 2019

don't buy a rowleckx and feed da machine. pivot to invicta.....all new rowlex are heartless anyway...