Forums Latest Members

I don't understand the recent Rolex SS craze/shortage. What am I missing?

1. kristal May 29, 2020

One of the ADs said today that it might be the case that they will announce the releases at least partially on September.. However, I tend to agree with you regarding the release will most probably wait till 21..

2. Evitzee May 29, 2020

It is fashionable to think the high prices for sport Rolex's are untenable and a massive correction will occur. Of course demand is suppressed right now due to the virus, and some hip-pocket grey marketers are feeling the pinch on their inventory so they are reducing some of their prices to move the inventory, but this is temporary. Rolex stopped production for a few months so the supply and demand situation is probably still in balance. You still will be unable to stroll into an AD and buy a sports model anytime soon, and grey market prices will stabilize, maybe a bit lower until demand fully recovers. But the idea that the Rolex price bubble has permanently burst is overly optimistic, it's just not going to happen.

EauTerre, OmeGez and Foo2rama like this.
  3. JohnSteed May 29, 2020

WTH ? 34 pages ? Will need to grab a drink and catch up ::facepalm1::

kkt, mick_rad, Dr.K and 1 other person like this.
  4. killer67 May 29, 2020

As long as supply continues to be an issue this will continue and apparently Rolex would have it no other way

5. kristal May 29, 2020

Its just a bit peculiar the fact that it doesnt seem that the demand has changed at least here.. Based on the qeues outside Bucherer, Rolex and Beyer and the new registrations in the wish lists it seems that it has slightly grown (at least here in Switzerland)

6. funkright May 29, 2020

So said the Tulip sellers many many years ago...

Archer and Pun like this.
  7. Porker May 29, 2020

Nice one mate! Better loosen that strap.. that vein’s gonna pop!

8. Porker May 29, 2020

Same here in Adelaide, no 36mm but you can go on a waiting list for one without having to jump through hoops. I just can’t warm up to a bulky Rolex SS, don’t want to be that guy (no disrespect). A low key DJ is timeless for me and I want to engrave the case back with my first law journal publication. I have a love/hate relationship with Rolex for all the reasons mentioned here, but I can’t shake the allure of this dark brand.

joeshoup and atone like this.
  9. atone Jun 2, 2020

this does not feel entirely representative of the market. it has softened a bit but not really to this extent. I truly hope it does come back to earth

OmeGez likes this.
  10. OmeGez Jun 3, 2020

I thought the same also. I’ve seen one or two ‘discounted’ but as a whole there’s not too much change,yet.

some people will be keen to shift their watch quick, so they’ll undercut the market to get it gone. There’s still a healthy profit on those ‘discounted’ ones.

11. DoctorEvil Feb 1, 2021

12. guaranteed.rohu Feb 1, 2021

I have a friend who runs a small art gallery, he was doing better business than ever selling work during 2020 covid lockdowns (even here were there were some of the harshest lockdowns in the western world).

Wealthy people are saving money that they would be spending on fine dining and travelling, so they can funnel it into luxury goods instead!

wristpirate, Civic4982 and DoctorEvil like this.
  13. gbesq Feb 1, 2021

CaptainWinsor and DoctorEvil like this.
  14. CaptainWinsor Feb 1, 2021

The most eloquent ‘burn’ ever

15. kkt Feb 2, 2021

The best Bond girl is the one who wasn't overly impressed with his wristwatch.

blufinz52 likes this.
  16. DoctorEvil Feb 2, 2021

Just checked prices on used GMT Master II ref 16710 on Chrono24 just out of curiosity, on the off chance I might be able to get a reasonably priced GMT by going vintage. No dice. Vendors are actually wanting MORE money compared to a brand new 126710 GMT at retail. What the?!
    Looks like I might have to give GMTs and Subs a miss until this madness subsides. Maybe in a decade or so...

17. JwRosenthal Feb 2, 2021

Yeah- if you are in a budget and don’t want to play the game- best to sit it out for a while. Lots of bored people out there collecting a pay check and blowing it on luxury goods. Keep checking the forums. Some sane sellers still out there

18. cvalue13 Feb 2, 2021

A brand new 126710 at retail is rare as hen’s teeth.

so maybe the more relevant comparison is the 126710 grey market price vs a nice 5 digit GMT

19. DoctorEvil Feb 2, 2021

Sorry, but I would have to disagree with you. Of course the grey market price of a 126710 is going to be much higher compared to a 5 digit GMT but that doesn't make the 5 digit GMT any more sensibly priced. What I'm trying to say is that normally you would expect that the price of a second hand recently discontinued watch should be less than the retail price of the brand new model with a new movement, ceramic bezel etc. Clearly, the demand for GMTs is such that inflated prices for the brand new ones are driving up the price of the discontinued models as well. Vendors realise that those desperate to get their hands on a GMT but can't get a brand new one may be willing to pay the same sort of money for a used 5 digit GMT and they are exploiting this.

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. cvalue13 Feb 2, 2021

No I wouldn’t always expect this, for sought after models. When sought after models are discontinued, the discontinued models can often experience a bump (temp or perm) due to suddenly being a finite run.

In any event, my prior suggestion was that MSRP is irrelevant; maybe it’s best to compare market value to market value, not MSRP to market value.

kip595 and ConElPueblo like this.