Forums Latest Members

I don't understand the recent Rolex SS craze/shortage. What am I missing?

1. killer67 Jan 25, 2020

I agree AP is not an apples to apples comparison

2. wjgesq Jan 27, 2020

Frankly, APs do not impress me at all. There history is really not all that significant and they really have no particular claim to fame compared to Rolex and certainly not compared to Omega.

3. cvalue13 Jan 27, 2020

a lot of people would disagree.

Not to flatly disagree myself, but instead only to stake at least two of their obvious counter arguments that seem ignored by your assertion: (1) the RO was arguably the invention of the modern SS luxury sports watch, which in today’s terms does seem significant (esp given the title/topic of this specific post); (2) a Gerald Genta designed watch is horologically important to a lot of folks

not exactly sure what “claim to fame” counts as for you (the moon/sub-sea?), but wonder if your personal measure doesn’t over-exclude any number of brands

Nobel Prize likes this.
  4. Canuck Jan 27, 2020

I had it described to me years ago, that inflation is caused by too many dollars chasing too few goods. Rolex has it down to a science.

nzshadow and Dsloan like this.
  5. wjgesq Jan 27, 2020

Yeah, Rolex has had many "firsts" and of course, Omega goes back in history only second to Patek. AP's seem to have a lot of issues with reliability and I have met a person who actually worked at one of their service centers for repairs. The was pretty upfront with her stories of having to deal with people who were livid that their watches were so prone to issues. And, I have held an examined a few up close, but quite honestly was not impressed. Of course, the watch thing is like the plane or car thing--many choices and opinions and thoughts.

6. jhross98 Jan 27, 2020

Steel shmeel

Sooo happy with this bad boy

20200127_154349.jpg

7. speedydownunder Jan 27, 2020

Beautiful piece. Solves the black or white dial dilemma!

8. killer67 Jan 27, 2020

Agreed. Although it is the least significant member of the holy trinity, AP brought the RO to market in 1972 which is likely the biggest game changer in watchmaking. It is not a watch I desire but you can't underestimate the disruption this watch brought forward and later influenced many others

Archer and cvalue13 like this.
  9. killer67 Jan 27, 2020

very understated dial lovely watch

jankymutt likes this.
  10. JwRosenthal Jan 27, 2020

So glad you’re happy with it- sounds like someone had a good Rolex experience and that’s refreshing. I am not a fan of most of their current line-up, but that is a very slick sport watch....you may have to avoid those fitted dress shirts with the skinny sleeves/cuffs however ;)

11. jhross98 Jan 27, 2020

i love it. . can dress it up or down. i agree it can't go under a dress shirt particularly well but the rubber strap makes it not seem ostentatious

i would buy basically nothing in the current modern rolex lineup except the SS daytona or this WG daytona. . but have slowly come to the realization that vintage rolex particularly manual wound daytonas and gilt dial GMTs and subs are truly special watches

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. jhross98 Jan 27, 2020

just to be clear. . i did NOT get this from an AD. i traded a SS white dial daytona and cash for this WG one at european watch co.. .i have sung their praises before and will do so again. there is nowhere else you can walk into with a used modern watch, a vintage piece, and walk out with something completely different. yes they make their margin but they stand behind their watches 100% and they are great to deal with

Evitzee and larryganz like this.
  13. JwRosenthal Jan 27, 2020

I don’t begrudge anyone who maintains a brick and mortar a fair profit- they have to keep the lights on, pay staff etc. It’s nice to have a place that trades fairly and offers a great selction.

14. wjgesq Jan 28, 2020

That one is SS?

Its a real stunner.

And, the think about a Daytona (though I tend to be more drawn to the speedmasters) is that your investment is complete safe.

You have picked a winner.

jhross98 likes this.
  15. jhross98 Jan 28, 2020

thank you!

no. . this one is white gold

16. wjgesq Jan 28, 2020

Wow. Completely awesome. Love the dial.

17. jhross98 Jan 28, 2020

Yes.. I think its the best Daytona dial by far

Zero regrets on trading the steel white dial version

20200128_102548.jpg

chronos likes this.
  18. scapa Jan 28, 2020

I'm not a big fan of the Daytona but that is really beautiful. More austere and interesting to me eyes than the white especially, but I bet it changes beautifully with the light.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 28, 2020

As watchmakers, from a purely technical perspective, Rolex and Omega cannot hold a candle to AP.

Of late, AP has become "The Royal Oak Company" but in the past they have been much more than that. If you are "not Impressed" then you probably need to dig a little deeper into what AP have made in the past.

I don't partocularly appreciate the RO or a lot of what they make, but they have my respect as a watchmaker - much more than Rolex who purchased most of their "accomplishments" over the decades.

Kmart, Dan S, fbf and 5 others like this.
  20. M'Bob Jan 28, 2020

The word "austere" and "Daytona" have not appeared together since ref. 6239.

321Only and JwRosenthal like this.