Forums Latest Members

I don't understand the recent Rolex SS craze/shortage. What am I missing?

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 17, 2019

[​IMG]

Eve, TJH, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Dec 17, 2019

I bought my GMT in 2002 for $2k- that’s what they were worth. If the market dropped out tomorrow and it was worth $500 I wouldn’t care- I love it and I bought it to enjoy it as a lifelong watch.
    It has been stressed here so many times-unless you do it for living- stay away from watches or any collectible as an investment- you will be the one caught with your pants down, not the pro’s...they know when to get out.

chronos likes this.
  3. Dsloan Dec 17, 2019

I have to try real hard not to roll my eyes when my local AD starts chatting me up about how there's no way to lose money buying a Rolex. Every time I hear the investment argument, it provokes a moment of clarity where I realize I should have just used my watch budget to do something smarter, like recast my mortgage.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Dec 17, 2019

My 3 Rolex - ceramic Pepsi GMT II Mk2, Hulk, and SD43 - cost me about what FOUR SS Rolex sports watches would have cost at MSRP after tax at the AD, so if the bottom drops out and I ever had sell them I won't lose that much. But I think these are keepers. Only the SD43 is at risk of leaving when I get a Deep Blue, and if so, then I only paid about $1500 over MSRP after tax is included for that one - I'd likely break even on it.

5. JwRosenthal Dec 17, 2019

Right- you’re looking at it from the perspective of a personal collector- not trying to build wealthy on speculation. My goal with hi-fi was always buy lots, keep the best and repair and sell off the rest to make up my initial investment- to be in it for nothing basically- and I succeeded. Watches believe it or not are a much higher risks game.

Dsloan likes this.
  6. Dan S Dec 17, 2019

Some salespeople will say anything. A financial advisor (a salesperson for a brokerage) recently warned us against a particular tax-exempt municipal bond index fund because it was "risky". :rolleyes:

Dsloan likes this.
  7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Dec 17, 2019

For the record...that’s not me, dude. :thumbsup:

SpeedyPhill, Archer, Yak1 and 4 others like this.
  8. Eve Dec 18, 2019

I thought, that cant be Mad Dog, the Echo Whisky Speedy Gonzalez is clearly missing on his wrist! That would be a nogo for that stunt, you would obviously wanna check your average speed before lifting off into the wild ;):thumbsup:

Mad Dog likes this.
  9. Yak1 Dec 18, 2019

That’s some mad skill on the dismount.

Mad Dog likes this.
  10. alam Dec 24, 2019

Couple of days ago I found myself at the Frankfurt airport and decided to walk into a Rolex AD in terminal 1 to kill time before boarding. As many have indicated, I noticed three Rolex display cases that were mostly empty, perhaps 4-5 watches in each and not a single SS, sport model on display. As the young sales lady approached and greeted me, I asked her why were just a few Rolex watches on display. She quickly answered "oh that's because Rolex watches are so popular that we sell them quick!"

::confused2::

And now we all know the real reason :cautious: behind the current shortages of Rolex watches - they are extremely popular and dealers can't keep up with the demand!! :D btw, I was not allowed to take pics of the displays.. :(

:)

88E96469-D271-41C7-83AF-39C884D1271B.jpeg
    larryganz likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 24, 2019

:eek: I thought it was

RI Omega Fan and flw like this.
  12. Lazy_Lightning Dec 24, 2019

While I think they’re a great investment over the long haul, he’s actually got a valid point in the current market conditions. For the last few months the fed has been pumping hundreds of billions into in the repo markets, which they haven’t done since 2008. Once that stops, interested rates will go up and muni index funds will go down.

13. Dan S Dec 24, 2019

Thanks, I'm aware of how interest rates affect bond prices. That has absolutely nothing to do with the story I was telling about a particular financial advisor ("she", not "he"), trying to steer me into a particular fund. I'm sure we've all experienced this, and the reasons almost always involve self-interest on the advisor's part.

chronos and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 25, 2019

Vintage aficionados aren't missing anything :D

TropicConnie likes this.
  15. Lenny Pepperidge Dec 25, 2019

ConElPueblo and Dsloan like this.
  16. Dan S Dec 25, 2019

17. JwRosenthal Dec 25, 2019

A vintage Zenith Chrono would cure any desire to wear that Daytona IMO- hell, you could sell the Daytona and finance several spectacular vintage pieces that would satiate your desire for that form factor.

18. OmeGez Dec 25, 2019

I’m glad I’ve not gone fully watch collector insane.
    Yet...

I’ve had my grail watch today - 16570. Lusted after it for years.

I feel my little collection is enough for me. 1 ‘vintage’ Rolex is enough for my desires.

19. JwRosenthal Dec 25, 2019

I don’t know enough about them other than drooling over them- many zenith experts on this forum that could steer you to the best of the bunch- or best “value” of the bunch. Most of the vintage zenith chronos I have seen are stunners-some seem very reasonably priced.

20. vacheroyale Jan 9, 2020

their interesting market strategy is just to raise price up, that's for sure. it it would be an abundance of sport model, the demand would be less. Humans are always attractive by things that they can't easily. let's look at the Patek nautilus S/Steel, you can't get them period.