Forums Latest Members

I don't understand the recent Rolex SS craze/shortage. What am I missing?

1. nzshadow Stowaway Sep 5, 2019

Mate, 100%. Unfortunately, statusdouches outnumber collectors 1000:1 Rolex knows this & is quite happy fleecing these mugs for perceived importance indicators. We live in the age of selfies & social media 'influencers', narcissism is encouraged & rewarded, at least Rolex has found a way to play puppet master. Personally I care little for the opinions of others & tapped out of social media years ago. If I'm still around after the bubble bursts & the muppets are on to the next approved social status indicator I might pick up a reasonably priced Rolex for shits & giggles.

JwRosenthal and Lenny Pepperidge like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 5, 2019

Funny how people think so many watches are sold grey as Statusdouche doesn’t do grey.
    He’s a me me me now now now guy that is walking out of the shop as much as the keyboard collector that doesn’t pay over MSRP.

There is a huge amount of SS models missing in the market
    Some go grey but not as many that are missing out of every Rolex store in the world.

nzshadow likes this.
  3. JwRosenthal Sep 5, 2019

I would agree with you 10 years ago (the statusdouche's have always been with us- don't forget the 80's), about them waking in and out of the boutique empty handed- but we live in the era of one key-punch shopping. The statusdouche can more easily order a watch on Chrono24 and have it show up at his door the next day, than hassling with trying to find a dealer who has one in stock. For them it's not about the hand-job experience (although they do love the flattery too), it's about getting the status symbol on the wrist as fast as possible. If you have the disposable money- you can have any Rolex you want right now.

nzshadow likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 5, 2019

Sorry I disagree, Statusdouche wants to walk around and have people watch him buy a Rolex, carry a Rolex bag getting into his leased Mercedes and leave the box and bag on his counter or coffee table for a few days

Instadouche is who your talking about. ;)

5. Lenny Pepperidge Sep 5, 2019

I tend to agree with this. I don't see rolexstatusdouche as playing the game, putting himself on a waitlist and being humble with the AD (even if he's never spent dime one there). Rather, he's probably the nightmare customer throwing a tantrum at the AD (even if he's never spent dime one there). If he can afford it, he'll go grey and start rocking that wrist presence as soon as he can, and the scarcity will only make it that much more imperative that he get that watch on asap.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. hmalik Sep 5, 2019

Every Rolex AD in the SF Bay Area I have called says I need to come in and introduce myself and make a ‘relationship’ before they will put me on a waitlist for and sport model !

nzshadow likes this.
  7. JwRosenthal Sep 5, 2019

See above post on hand-jobs and champagne. Until they get back to that- fuck off.

nzshadow likes this.
  8. Tigeranteater Sep 5, 2019

Exactly

nzshadow likes this.
  9. nzshadow Stowaway Sep 5, 2019

Well they made your decision easy, tell them to go fuck themselves, & keep it rolling. These ponces seem to have forgotten they work retail.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 5, 2019

And the Rolex bashing continues ad nauseam! "Rolexstatusdouche!" Get over yourselves.

11. JwRosenthal Sep 5, 2019

A lot of us are just having fun at Rolex’s expense- most is tongue in cheek- they make it easy. I seriously couldn’t care, even if the showrooms were full of product and the prices in line with their competition, I still wouldn’t but any of their new products- they just don’t appeal to me as their older stuff (pre 2005) did, and the customer experience has changed.
    It’s just sad to me that a company that I once respected has shown little regard for the cliente that made them who they are. The pulling of parts accounts to reputable watchmakers is what I find truly reprehensible, their sales tactics are what they are.

12. nzshadow Stowaway Sep 5, 2019

No one is bashing here petal, just a bit of cheeky banter at the expense of a company whose repositioning strategy is seemingly focused on alienating its traditional customer base in favour of a much larger consumer segment that values perceived status. Which is a legitimate business model, just not one I buy into.

Om3ga321 and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. JwRosenthal Sep 5, 2019

I went through this with my love/hate for BMW 13 years ago. I had been a die hard BMW lover since I first layed eyes on a 3.0cs (and later owned one). After 2006 the company lost their way, changed their styling and “driver” oriented focus- decided we didn’t need ignition keys, dipsticks or throttle linkage...they went from the “Ultimate Driving Machine” to the “Ultimate Status Symbol” for the middle class. I still own my ‘93 M5, the last of the hand-built. The last car they made worth owning in my book was the ‘06 M3. Like Rolex, they alienated their base- but their market share grew insanely with a completely different market...and that was a total win for them.

michael22, Martin_J_N and nzshadow like this.
  14. larryganz The cable guy Sep 6, 2019

What do you call the guy (like me) who hears about the new SS Pepsi ceramic GMT and goes to the AD the day after the announcement, but can’t get one and is placed on “the list”, and then after waiting for an eternity caves in and buys from a flipper at well over MSRP?

15. Martin_J_N Sep 6, 2019

Had the champers when I visited my AD earlier this month to get the buying a Rolex process underway but that was all, maybe you get the full treatment when you actually buy the watch :rolleyes:

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 6, 2019

Larry, 95% of people are just normal people.

Nothing against Rolex wearers in general in my comments more of a reply to the Douche. Douche is a Douche even if he’s wearing a G-Shock.
    The amount of Douches on the water with their 85K higher purchase boats on the river in holiday season up my way is a fun thing to watch. You can go down the boat ramp just for the entertainment value.

17. Martin_J_N Sep 6, 2019

I think that this is a good analogy, BMW had great drivers cars, they were renowned for being 'the driving enthusiasts' car, the focus was on the pleasure of driving a BMW, something that you didn't get from a Mercedes or Jaguar as these cars were in the main more for the upmarket executive, or Audi, although Audi did try with the S and RS models and the Quattro 4WD, since those great days a lot has changed and not for the best.

All this therefore begs a question, is a Tudor Black Bay 58 closer to a 'true Rolex' than a new Submariner?

18. Martin_J_N Sep 6, 2019

A Douche, are these the ones that the croc's don't eat as they leave a bad taste :D

Sorreee :)

STANDY, nzshadow and JwRosenthal like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Sep 6, 2019

I call you a collector who has the patience and means to play the game. And you truly love your pieces not for their bling factor but for the design and engineering.

Edited Sep 6, 2019
    larryganz and nzshadow like this.
  20. Lenny Pepperidge Sep 6, 2019

I'd call you a collector who's passionate about a lot of different kinds of watches and doesn't come off as pompous in any way.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with that term. As noted above, the overwhelming number of Rolex wearers are neither collectors nor status seekers. They're simply people who wanted (or were given) a high quality watch, and it's probably their only watch. I'm just having a little fun with Rolex because we all know that it's the one brand that does attract a certain type of personality. And since Rolex seems to be actively courting and manipulating those people at the expense of someone who simply wants to go into an AD and buy a high quality watch, I don't think they're immune from some jokes at their expense.

larryganz and JwRosenthal like this.