Forums Latest Members

I don't understand the recent Rolex SS craze/shortage. What am I missing?

1. Eve Aug 19, 2019

I visited two different Rolex boutiques (in Austria) recently, not looking for anything particular, just wondering around to see if what i read on the forum is also the reality :)
    Both had plenty of SS OPs and DJ in all kind of variations (colors, sizes) readily available. Both didnt have any Sport SS models on displays (but i didnt ask, since i am not really interested in those). Since i somehow only like the Explorer 1, i politely asked them if they had any to try on. To my surprise both had one piece in store available. Maybe just a coinsidence, but reading about a waiting list of 6-9 months sounds kind of crazy.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  2. Martin_J_N Aug 19, 2019

Interesting, maybe its the store that is the issue, maybe if you go to a busy store you wait longer, maybe if you went to a quieter store you would be able to get your watch sooner, I don't know but it is strange how one area of the world states 6-9 months for OP's or E1's whilst other area has them in stock. Very odd.

Eve likes this.
  3. Eve Aug 19, 2019

Yeah, or maybe its sommer holidays, when people are on vacation and dont have time for watches.. :)
    But you are most likely right, i guess if i went to a boutiqe in Vienna, they would probably also look at me like a live on a moon. Actually would be interesting to find out.

4. JwRosenthal Aug 19, 2019

This is in line with when Hermès was buying shares in Leica, not becuase they wanted to get into the camera business, but because it is a luxury product.

5. gbesq Aug 19, 2019

It’s hard to argue with success but I, for one, would not be the least bit interested in being on a waitlist for a Rolex. They make fine watches, but there are numerous models from other Swiss brands, including Omega, that I would like to own and which are readily available.

6. Martin_J_N Aug 19, 2019

We are all different, if the watch I want isn't immediately available and I have to wait then so be it, it will be my decision whether to wait, if I am not prepared to wait then I can go elsewhere and choose something else. Omega have waiting lists, my new Seamaster isn't due until November, I ordered it in June so a 5 month wait, people are still waiting for their Apollo 11 50th limited editions, many ordered these months ago, waiting lists are not just Rolex they feature in other brands as well.

7. harrymai86 Aug 19, 2019

Yep especially the Nautilus, just imagine how long is the list

8. Fatcat Aug 25, 2019

I made today 5 Rolex boutique in Las Vegas, a little bit better than I saw in EU the last weeks, even a full gold Daytona available in the Tourneau boutique in the Caesar Palace and the Bellagio , but plenty of day, day date etc... makes the shops attractive than others full of empty.

9. squarelug Aug 25, 2019

Remember, in 2015 swiss watch sales were declining and the markets weren't looking much better. No one would have predicted the run up from 2016-2019, and Rolex certainly didn't. Hence, I think, the current shortage. Things will normalize, eventually.

SwissZ and watch3s like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Aug 26, 2019

Nothing like a little recession to take all that new money away and the bling crowd to flood the market with their now used Rolex’s...oh the elasticity of economy.

nzshadow likes this.
  11. KeithS Aug 26, 2019

Then let it recess! I need one of those blingy new Sea Dwellers :)

blufinz52 and watch3s like this.
  12. chows99 Aug 26, 2019

I would love to have the chance to buy a SS or PM sports model from AD eventually. It's still near to impossible in my region.

13. larryganz The cable guy Aug 27, 2019

Here's a good video to address the issue :coffee:

14. larryganz The cable guy Aug 27, 2019

Which is more Blingy?

Mine
    IMG_1552.jpeg

Mine
    IMG_0998.jpeg

Not mine - on the list...
    Rolex Deep Blue Screenshot 2019-07-17 23.10.25.png

15. KeithS Aug 27, 2019

larryganz and MTROIS like this.
  16. larryganz The cable guy Aug 27, 2019

I've decided that I am indeed blessed to have a 1 yr old Hulk, and a 6 month old SS Pepsi GMT II and Sea Dweller 43mm (both with the new movement).

I do miss the BLNR, Polar Explorer II, and SubC No Date that I had to trade to help me each of the new ones in the past 12 months. I can live without TT blue Sub 16613 and the Yachmaster 40mm, and several of the 40mm Explorer II that I've sold and traded over the years, but I also kinda miss my 16710 Coke Bezel GMT II.

amiriqbal, KeithS and blufinz52 like this.
  17. JwRosenthal Aug 27, 2019

Can we assume you are a fan of Rolex?:rolleyes:

18. larryganz The cable guy Aug 27, 2019

Note sure, with only 3 Rolex and 15 Omegas at home - I'm not a fan of the company and their latest tactics though.

I currently have the same number of Victorinox as Rolex, and my 5 Luminox are more. At one point I had as many as 6 Rolex, for a brief period.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 30, 2019

Well, there's one thing I know for sure. Rolex doesn't give a rat's ass about their AD's or their employees.

They are a ruthless company when it comes to business, and if they think restricting supply will benefit them in the long run by being more exclusive, being able to raise prices, get PM watches moving as incentives, or whatever, they will do it without regard for the consequences for their AD network.

NikolShep, nzshadow, S.H. and 4 others like this.
  20. Shay Sep 1, 2019

Hi Guys,

Not sure this is the right thread. I am looking to buy a Rolex sub or Explorer I and I visited an AD to see if I can get on the waiting list and I was told indirectly I needed to buy a Rolex first to be eligible to get on the waiting list. Do you need to buy a Rolex from the AD before being eligible to be on the waiting list for a sport model? Your feedback/experience will be appreciated. I am from the UK.

Best

Flatfoot likes this.