How would you react if…

Hypothetically, how would you respond to Omega launching the 321 Speedy with a white dial? Do you believe the significance of the 321 safeguards it from such a release?

I would sell all my Omega watches and be done with the brand if they did that!

;)

But in all seriousness, I’d do nothing but watch from the sidelines as the two sides argue back about how it’s the greatest thing or the worst thing Omega has ever done.

I just don’t get the semi-worship of the 321 movement (and I owned one back in the day).

Like 5
I just don’t get the semi-worship of the 321 movement (and I owned one back in the day

It’s a love-hate relationship. They look great (the little column wheel is cool), they have an impressive history, but they are such a pain in the ass to get running right, despite assertions to the contrary.

I had a friend, Norm, who had a minty XKE that he would take out about twice a year. When I asked him why we don’t see it more often, he said, “Because I can’t afford a live-in mechanic…”

Like 4
The 861 is the way to go. Still vintage and a lot more reliable and cheaper to service.

Like 3
It’s a love-hate relationship. They look great (the little column wheel is cool), they have an impressive history, but they are such a pain in the ass to get running right, despite assertions to the contrary.

I had a friend, Norm, who had a minty XKE that he would take out about twice a year. When I asked him why we don’t see it more often, he said, “Because I can’t afford a live-in mechanic…”
I know that it’s not everyone’s experience, but I’ve had more Cal 321s and 320s having issues than any other movement produced by the brand. Also more time wasted hunting parts in the past for them than anything else.

Like 4
Hypothetically, how would you respond to Omega launching the 321 Speedy with a white dial? Do you believe the significance of the 321 safeguards it from such a release?
What would be the point of Omega doing this? Answer, there is no point, it's not going to happen.

For those complaining about issues with 50+ year old 321s, what would you expect with them being buggered about by shade tree mechanics, often with poor skills and lack of access to authentic, new Omega parts? A 321 is very reliable if properly maintained, it's not haute horologie. I would expect no longterm issues with a new 321 movement being maintained by Omega in Bienne.

Like 7
It depends, will it have that all important dot over the 90?

The Speedy looks great, but you Speedy owners are nuts! I am afraid I would become like you, and that scares me from getting one, no matter what the dial colour or column thingy its got. Besides doesn't it have that hideous delrin plastic thing inside? ;)

I know that it’s not everyone’s experience, but I’ve had more Cal 321s and 320s having issues than any other movement produced by the brand. Also more time wasted hunting parts in the past for them than anything else.
I don't know any details about the movement other than the info from raving watch geeks.

But all current hype aside I assume that back in the day Omega abandoned it in favour of the 861 for a reason.

What would be the point of Omega doing this? Answer, there is no point, it's not going to happen.

It’s just a way to add more fuel to the fire. They can do it to ensure the brand's name continues to be a topic of discussion within the community and elsewhere, which in turn translates to more sales and new customers – something every brand is after.
Edited:

I would start to wonder just how many of these movements are they cranking out.
Less than 2,000 pieces per year by their own statements. And it's probably a lot less than that because of Covid and other constraints in their production and assembly method.

I know it’s a contrary view but I think the modern 321 is a bit naff anyway. It just looks like a vintage 321 with service parts - it has no character.
The 321 movement isn’t a grail imo, it’s the combination of a 321 with the applied logo, beautifully aged radium/tritium dial/hands, early handsets, step dials and just the character that comes with age. The modern 321 has none of that so I just don’t get it. I’d just get a new 3861.

Like 1
I know it’s a contrary view but I think the modern 321 is a bit naff anyway. It just looks like a vintage 321 with service parts - it has no character.
The 321 movement isn’t a grail imo, it’s the combination of a 321 with the applied logo, beautifully aged radium/tritium dial/hands, early handsets, step dials and just the character that comes with age. The modern 321 has none of that so I just don’t get it. I’d just get a new 3861.
That's why Omega makes Speedmasters with 3861, 321, 9906, and other various calibers, automatic or manual, three register/two register, moon/no moon, black/grey/white/red/green/meteorite dials, in various sizes. It's a big world with different preferences. Not everything will appeal to everyone.

That's why Omega makes Speedmasters with 3861, 321, 9906, and other various calibers, automatic or manual, three register/two register, moon/no moon, black/grey/white/red/green/meteorite dials, in various sizes. It's a big world with different preferences. Not everything will appeal to everyone.

Yeah completely agree.

Yes.

The 861is now co-axial. Bracelet evolves too. What would it change if they were using a 321 in a different watches ? Nothing. The Moon landing would change ?