Forums Latest Members
  1. Lewistj Dec 5, 2016

I was just wondering if anyone could give some indication as to how waterproof my 1970 speedmaster mk ii is. Can I shower with it? Can I swim with it? Or is just best to take it off when there's a chance of water contact.

Many thanks,
    Lewis.

2. cvrle1 Dec 5, 2016

I may be wrong, but I dont think there is a blanket statement to answer this. It all depends from one watch to the other I think. I personally wouldnt take a shower with brand new watch that I know is waterproof, so I definitely wouldnt take a shower with vintage one. But thats just me.

3. spin_transistor Dec 5, 2016

::popcorn::

4. Canuck Dec 5, 2016

There is a very lengthy thread on the MB concerning the topic of whether an Omega Speedmaster could be worn in water, safely! Here is a link to that thread. You will find extreme opinions that are 180° opposite to each other! A lot of what is spoken of in that thread might apply to any water resistant watch. Read it, and you still won't know if your watch is water resistant! One way to find out is hung ho! Dive in! And suffer the consequences!

https://omegaforums.net/threads/anyone-go-swimming-with-a-speedmaster.47840/page-8#post-591450

kkt likes this.
  5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 5, 2016

I think there is only one way to know for sure. Take it diving and see how it goes. If it looks like this then it may not be waterproof:

https://i1.wp.com/i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg178/ArcherWatches/Speedy/OmegaSpeedyPro7.jpg?zoom=2

Please post before and after pictures!

kkt, ulackfocus and AAAKK like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 5, 2016

kkt, kingsrider and ulackfocus like this.
  7. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Dec 5, 2016

Just take it off. Even if you regularly service it and get new gaskets and have pressure tests performed, WHY RISK IT.

Foo2rama and Larry S like this.
  8. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2016

@Lewistj - what's your screen name on Watchuseek?

Oh good, the order for that came in! Now if the case of 'thick skin' ever shows up we'll be good for a while.

9. Canuck Dec 5, 2016

Lewistj seems to have disappeared! Maybe he has made his decision as to whether he wants to trust his watch will survive a water torture test, or not!

10. tyrantlizardrex Dec 6, 2016

When did it last have the seals replaced?

Did it pass the water resistance test then?

When was it last tested?