Forums Latest Members

How to remove winding crown/stem from a 9300ish caliber

1. guwipa Sep 25, 2020

Dear OF Experts,

My brother happily acquired the PO Chrono he dreamed of for month. Wearing it proudly it happened to him that the HE Valve Crown dropped off from the case and a tiny screw was visible inside the HE tube. While turning the watch around the screw fell off the tube and blocked the one of the Barrels of the movements. He immediately pulled the winding crown to prevent the movements form further harm.

Now, that certain time has passed by he is willing to do a dyi job and remove the movement to get the tiny screw back in the HE Valve crown by fixing it with a Little dip of superglue or so.

For that he is looking for that little pin on the backside of the mvmt which used to be close to the winding stem and where usually one can remove the crown by pushing it down.

He has some experience in working with more simply assembled movements so I'am pretty confident that I can't hinder him to try his luck here. :cool:

So, much appreciated if someone could chime in here with some Information or point me on the picture below (borrowed from Omega homepage) how he can do the trick.

Seamaster_Planet_Ocean_Caliber_9300_23292465103001[1].jpg

Many thanks in advance and a great weekend ahead,

Cheers

Winny

2. Meme-Dweller Sep 25, 2020

::facepalm1::

Donn Chambers and 3nicewatches like this.
  3. Bugbait Sep 25, 2020

Not under warranty any more? Purchased second hand?

Regardless, get it fixed properly before water gets inside due to a backyard fix. Not worth trying to save money by cutting corners here! No glue is going to hold this in place properly or for long.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2020

[​IMG]

5. guwipa Sep 25, 2020

Dear all,

Thanks for the good advices, that is what i've already told him, too. To get it fixed at his local Omega dealer won't cost him an arm and a leg but I know him too well. Once such project is in his mind it's nearly impossible to get him áway from that :)

I've just asked him to provide some higher soluted pictures from his watch without the caseback, perhaps that could help to point me to the right position of the stem remover. He said, this can't be rocket science to get the mvmt out :confused:

But this could take one or two days.

Best,
    Winny

6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Sep 25, 2020

It's his watch of course, so he can whatever he likes. But it seems to me that if he had been dreaming of getting this watch for months, his proposed plan of action might now end those dreams in a nightmare.

7. guwipa Sep 25, 2020

No worries, 3nicewatches. He is a collector like me and if this "project" is going to go down the drain then it won't be his personal Waterloo, it's just one of his daily wearer and my brother always used to be a bit eccentrical :D

And this particular watch (a beast with yellow Hands afaik) wasn't available on the 2nd Hand market that quick.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 25, 2020

AAAKK likes this.
  9. AntonisCy Sep 25, 2020

Superglue? What kind of experience is that.

RedarT and 3rdstringholder like this.
  10. Meme-Dweller Sep 25, 2020

A Planet Ocean Chronograph with yellow hands? LOL now this I need to see a photo of. I'm starting to see why he wants to use super glue now.

3rdstringholder and Bugbait like this.
  11. Bugbait Sep 25, 2020

It was my first thought as well but didn't want to be too cynical...

12. guwipa Sep 28, 2020

Dear All,

Just heard back with my brother over that weekend what it was with the yellow hands PO. And obviously I was mistaken with this. When snooping through the market he has two different watches shortlisted, the one was the PO which he bought at the end of the day and the other was a SMP 300 Chronograph Regatta (Ref. 212.30.44.50.01.002), and this was the yellow hand beast what I had in mind :).

Now btt,

this is his PO (and it also has a yellow Hand on the 3 o'clock subdial :cool:)

PO 1.jpg

and we are still looking for some kind support with the position of the pusher to remove the winding stem.
    PO 2.jpg PO 3.jpg

I would be very grateful is someone is willing and able to help us here.

Many thanks in Advance!!

Cheers,

Winny

13. ETAMEGA Nov 7, 2022

Hi Winny,

Did you receive any answers?
    I have the same issue as you
    Thank you in advance and also to the community !
    Regards,

Didou

14. ExpiredWatchdog Nov 8, 2022

It's the hole next to the "4" in "54". Push a little too much and the setting lever comes completely out, necessitating removal of much of the movement to fix. I'd stick to simple watches and leave this job to the professional.

15. ETAMEGA Nov 8, 2022

16. ETAMEGA Nov 8, 2022

Hi!
    Thank you so much for your help.
    I tried many times but it’s not working.
    Even if I push stronger, I’m not sure it’s this hole.
    Maybe an advice on the process in order to push right?
    Thank you in advance!
    Didou

17. duc Nov 8, 2022

Does the stem have to be fully seated when attempting this, or pulled out to position 2?

I'm just interested. No dog in the hunt.

18. Pvt-Public Nov 8, 2022

It may not be his "personal Waterloo" but the super glue could be the the watches "waterloo".
    Does he actually call himself a collector?::facepalm2::

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 8, 2022

The use of Loctite on the screw for the HEV, or on the tube threads for the tube of the HEV, is standard practice. Using super glue in place of that is not a crazy as people here are making it out to be...

20. Pvt-Public Nov 8, 2022

My thought is that since super glue is a very thin liquid, the wick effect tends to draw it places it shouldn't be.