Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. EatMan Sep 19, 2017

I saw a beautifully patina Tudor sub on a gentleman sitting next to me at a conference.

So, it appear we all see nice watches, especially Rolex subs and gents/ladies dayjusts. But it does not sound like a lot of us see fellow Omega wearers much in the wild (OB events don't count). I cannot recall a single speedy moon watch other than one DSOTM and one reduced. Just one single Seamster. that's it. can't think of any other Omegas. I have seen more PAMs and Breitlings then my favorite Omega...

it sounds like there are more Omega sightings in China. is that really the case?

the.watchdoc likes this.
  2. the.watchdoc Sep 20, 2017

Craziest watch I've seen in the wild was a JLC Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm. He was walking out from a restaurant just as I was walking in, and I think I may have stared at his wrist and drooled a little too much. I couldn't place the watch at the time, but I knew I'd seen it somewhere before and that it was a rare bird.

Other than that though, not much other than the usual two-tone Rolex Datejusts.

3. mikesspeedy Sep 20, 2017

I delivered a lecture yesterday and in view of this blog I held a quick non scientific survey. 8 people not wearing watches, 11 apple watches 2 x Timex 1x PO, my Speedy Pro (I use the chronograph heavily during my talks and workshops) . I heaped praise on the students for not having one Rolex in the group and went on to offer them a 20 sec segment on why I think Omega mechanical watches are as relevant now as they ever were and how Omegas name for their watches are inspirational, more so than any other brand. LOL I may have converted one or two. After the lecture a few students came to look at the speedy pro and I had to show them the photo of one on a EVA taken this August, to prove they are still used in space (even if it may have been an Omega sales stunt).

Edited Sep 20, 2017
    Starman71, Kmart, dialstatic and 4 others like this.
  4. jimmyd13 Sep 20, 2017

I reckon it's all about the circles you move in. I'm an engineer. I work in muddy fields, on mountain tops, (as today) in a refuse handling facility at the side of a particularly brown stream ... I don't see many Rolex (though I've seen both a day-date and a yachtmaster in the past two months on client's wrists). However, Seamasters and Speedmasters are far from uncommon. My Mk II is rarer that a Professional but I've also seen the brown/yellow old reference as well as other "flashier" examples.Gold tends to adorn salesmen.

I also work with a lot of antique dealers. There, I see no end of Daytonas and lots of really sweet gold dress watches from the 40s through the 60s.

I think my point is that if you're not seeing lots of nice watches, you need to change professions.

;)

5. pdw1 Sep 20, 2017

I see Rolex all the time. There is an AD about a half mile from my business so it seems, on my side of the city at least, everyone just buys a watch from them.
    Lots of Subs and DateJusts.
    Another AD down the street just opened up an Omega section so I'm hopeful to see more in the wild in the near future. At the moment the Omega boutique is 45 minutes away so maybe that's part of it. Too bad.
    IMG_3474.JPG
    Even my buddy and his wife were both wearing DateJusts while we were out the other night. Beautiful watches but I'm ready to see some new stuff. Lol

Edit- I wish he would replace those springbars! Ugh! That gap is killing me.
    At 15 years old is he worried they were about to fail.
    They are both "one watch" people so I guess they don't care that much.
    Me,
    It would drive me almost as nuts as having just one watch.

Edited Sep 20, 2017
  6. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

At my golf club I have seen a couple of Rolexes and a fair clatter of TAGs, but I've never seen another Omega in the wild. Or at least I hadn't until a couple of weeks ago in the supermarket. This bloke was wearing a Seamaster SMPc diver just like the one I had on. I recognised the bracelet from about 30' away. I tried to get a surreptitious look at it several times without being too obvious (as you do) but there was something a bit off about it. Bracelet and case looked a bit shiny where it should have been brushed, and the case looked a bit thinner than mine. I eventually cornered him in the condiments aisle and said "Nice watch.." at which point he said (or rather, mumbled) "Oh, is it the same as yours?" and then scuttled off like a scalded cat. So I think I've still never seen an Omega in the wild. At least, not a real one...:D

BrianMcKay likes this.
  7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 20, 2017

Yes, it's the SMP's distinctive bracelet that enabled me to make a number of spottings; without the bracelet I probably would have missed most of them.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  8. Pvt-Public Sep 20, 2017

"How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?"
    Every time I go out into the wild!!::facepalm2::::rimshot::

dr1v3thru likes this.
  9. NickC Sep 20, 2017

If you happened to be on a Bakerloo Line train anywhere between Waterloo and Oxford Circus, there's a chance that could have been me.
    I have to say that I see loads of lovely watches in the wild. If you want to see everything from Omega, Panerai, JLC, platinum Rolex, Lange etc then you need to be on the 18.02 train from Waterloo to Woking!
    I suppose I'm fortunate that my boss has an amazing collection - she's on Instagram as oldwatchlady.

levkov, BrianMcKay and speedamatuer like this.
  10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 20, 2017

Lately, I'm seeing a shit ton of Royal Oaks (offshore) and I'm wondering if they're fakes? Seems odd that every other 25 year old is suddenly sporting one. Or, maybe it's just the green monster...

11. IDXM Sep 21, 2017

Well someone at work has a Pepsi bezel Rolex GMT. Impressive considering we're both Feds.

Justme likes this.
  12. Don Bocadillo Sep 21, 2017

Bumped into a gentleman about my age (early 40's) at the barbers today while we were both getting our young boys hair cut. Thought he had a new 43mm Sea Dweller from afar, turned out to be a GMT BLNR, chatted a bit about watches and my GMT Pepsi. Turns out he's actually into watches and has a vintage 1655 steve McQueen, talked about the upcoming paul Newman Daytona and showed him some pics of my 145.012-67. Mentioned that a guy at a nice second hand watch store in town (Store5a) had talked about organizing a watch buffs evening a la red bar in Columbus...so got his info and hope to meet him again!

13. sjg22 Sep 21, 2017

I saw a Rolex Sub Kermit and two-tone 36mm AP Royal Oak today, along with a newer looking Speedy Pro. All in different places. A Rolex DJ and a few Subs yesterday as well.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  14. daddykc Sep 22, 2017

At work one of my peers sports a Panerai Luminor Marina and a Montblanc time walker. Every now and then, we talk watches shortly. One of my team members wears a hand cranked Nomos. My manager wears several Carreras and an old aqua racer. An external designer wore a Milgauss once (he never wore it again, I guess it's to protect the agencies image from being too expensive). A consultant wore a pre-moon Speedy as his daily one and only watch.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  15. chunkythebulldog Sep 22, 2017

I'm just doing a bit of car browsing at the minute and this is what my local car salesman are wearing:

Audi, Rolex Sub ND.
    Mercedes, vintage Rolex DateJust two tone. Hasn't worked for 10 years and just wears it for show.
    BMW, IWC Portofino.
    Porsche, some monstrosity that's meant to look like a Richard Mille but isn't.

Timmert and dialstatic like this.
  16. any4xx Oct 16, 2017

Well Saturday evening I finally had my first sighting. It was MY class reunion and I spotted a two-tone Submariner with a blue dial and bezel.

So I’ll shut up now... ;-)

17. Mmike1357 Oct 16, 2017

I see mostly fashion watches and g-shocks around the office. One ceramic submariner, one Oris Aquis.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  18. sdre Oct 16, 2017

I was at Ion/Paragon in Singapore over the weekend.

Rolex ND 114060
    Rolex Batman
    Rolex Hulk

At vintage shop which I visited over the weekend,
    A customer was wearing a vintage/none-watcho seamaster. I asked to see and he was fine letting me take a look. Pretty hefty for a vintage diver watch.

19. Sublime_1 Oct 16, 2017

I work in IT so it is a homogeneous array of smart watches. Most of the people I work with are dumbfounded when they learn that I collect watches and don't own a smartwatch or even a digital watch.

DannyO and BrianMcKay like this.
  20. Ninja2789 Oct 16, 2017

Finance here. Kind of a mixed bag. Most of my immediate cohorts are pretty young and not really into spending large portions of their disposable income on a watch.

But still, I work for a pretty big company. I wouldn't not be surprised if there's a hidden WIS somewhere just waiting for someone to ask about their transitional applied dial speedy with DON bezel.

any4xx likes this.