Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. Tootalltim May 30, 2018

I’m casting for a small commercial at the moment, tiny budget so mostly the cast are supplying their own wardrobe. I went to meet one of the cast yesterday who is playing a dodgy businessman, ask him if he had a flashy looking watch at all he could wear. “Oh, yes, somewhere I’ve got a watch my Dad bought me years ago, never worn it, far too flashy for me!”

The guy comes back with a totally mint Rolex Sea-Dweller Triple6. My jaw actually hit the floor. “Umm, yeah, that’ll work juuuuust fine” says I.

2. rkman11 May 30, 2018

One of the perks of living in LA, also one of the negatives (my wife would say!) seeing amazing watches everywhere! Especially vintage. I’m constantly spotting and stopping people. Farmer’s market seems to be a hit spot.

drhombus24 likes this.
  3. Uniqez May 30, 2018

A lot of different Rolex watches in Venice today, one Omega Speedmaster and few breitling...

4. Bernardino May 30, 2018

On holiday in Croatia I spotted a young lady wearing a Milgauss, not sure why but took me by surprise.

Then later in the evening while having dinner I thought I spotted a gold pie pan but had to stop myself from staring at the fear of looking weird!

Then on the plane Home spotted a DSOTM.

Planes and airports always seem to be a good place for watch safari!!!

5. Tacket May 30, 2018

Oh, how excited I would be if I saw someone else wearing a nice wrist watch other than a Sub. I must look harder I guess.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  6. ewand May 30, 2018

^^this...

I saw a guy on holiday in the Caribbean wearing a Heuer Silverstone. I thought it would be a bit weird to approach him while he's sipping cocktails with his wife, and thought I might get a chance to comment in passing, later... though I did see him again, I decided it was just a bit too odd having some random dude coming up to you to say "Oh, I've never seen someone wearing one of them, and by the look of it, you've got the Fume reedition from 2010..."

<backs away slowly>

GuiltyBoomerang, marco and MaiLollo like this.
  7. propervinyl May 30, 2018

I rarely see anything interesting where I live in upstate New York.

On Monday, I'm at a coffee shop with an old friend who is in the watch business. We're just chatting and catching up, when I look over, and see a guy - probably mid 20's - wearing a yellow gold Royal Oak.

I discretely point it out to my friend, who until recently was the head of the watch division at a major AP dealer, thinking it is most likely a fake. He looks over, turns back to me, and whispers "yeah, that is the _____ special edition - sold for $51k".

Wayyyy to gaudy for me, but he pulled it off.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  8. Borbor May 31, 2018

go to the race track (big races, nto club races)

you'll see plenty of eye candies there. (in more ways than one)

9. 77deluxe Jun 2, 2018

While at Red Lobster for shrimp summerfest I saw an Apple Watch.

10. Dan S Jun 2, 2018

Not very often, maybe once a week. And even then, 99% of them are DateJusts and Submariners.

11. Elitr6 Jun 16, 2018

Was at a 3 day conference / seminar jobby with 1200 other (mostly small) business owners.

Spotted a new seamaster chrono and worked up the courage to say hello. Dude had zero interest in watches and was a bit of a douche.

The next day someone comes running up to me with a big smile wearing a seiko padi on a nato. His dream is to own an omega one day. There's still hope ..

12. marco Jun 16, 2018

I must move in the wrong circles as well.
    I have friend that knows I "know " about watches. Well he works in Singapore and comes home and says he needs his Rolex serviced, I say use my guy do not go to Rolex.
    What does he do, he goes to Rolex because he doesn't want "some back yard guy working on his gaudy gold and steel , blue bezel Sub. He didn't get the insert or the bezel back, nicely polished and now worth $2K less than it was.
    Cost him an extra $650 for Rolex to do it.
    You cannot help some people, they are out there.

13. drhombus24 Jun 16, 2018

At the Dubai mall right now, nice watches everywhere...

debaters1 likes this.
  14. ClarendonVintage Jun 16, 2018

London

- Gold Datejust-like quartz are very common. Actually very common among men in suits.

- Also, speedies are very popular among mid-aged caucasian workers on the tube.

- A couple of AP ROs won by younger audience.

- Haven't spotted many vintage watches on the tube at all.

15. astrand Jun 16, 2018

Just got back from eating at an American-Style smoked BBQ restaurant here in Stockholm Sweden. As I walk in I see a man in his 40s wearing a omega 2254. I told him he had a nice watch - he said he liked my Skx. The next family to come in is another father and he is wearing a fresh speedmaster professional. :thumbsup: Two nice omega in 5 minutes.

GuiltyBoomerang and any4xx like this.
  16. larryganz The cable guy Jun 16, 2018

Can't wait for you to get that wedding Speedy and join the club!

astrand likes this.
  17. astrand Jun 16, 2018

Thanks! Saw another 2254 at the grocery a few hours ago as well. :rolleyes:

18. Longbow Jun 17, 2018

I was admiring the view from the Drachenfels (Dragon Rock) in the Siebengebirge ...
    83A0CFA5-936E-4291-BA28-34FA77F0C151.jpeg 7D28E047-8AD9-4DA0-99C6-4E55FDF53EDA.jpeg 5E6AB20F-63F6-4A46-9F43-D59E66268524.jpeg EC4A724F-7B6A-4FDB-AAF6-7D44B9504E3D.jpeg

..when a chap standing next to me comments on my Omega rather than the spectacular view and proceeds to show me his vintage Seamaster.
    FF8F6493-F6FE-48EA-84E3-D02F11BFB4D6.jpeg

I sort of wish I had been wearing one of my older Omegas, but cool way to get into discussions about Bitcoin mining.

19. Kiltie Jun 18, 2018

Just back from vacation, and I'm looking forward to making some relevant posts. In the meantime, spotted two Omega ( Omegi ? ) in the wild : Professionals Sea and Speedmaster. One at the WWII museum in NOLA, and the other at a bar in Houston.
    Perhaps a little surprising, the Seamaster - a Bond style - was on an older fellows' wrist, and the Speedy was worn by a younger gent. Mid twenties, maybe.

astrand likes this.
  20. astrand Jun 18, 2018

Off topic: But how was NOLA? I live in Sweden now, but lived in NOLA for 25 years. I hope you were treated well :)

DWash and Kiltie like this.