Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. Canuck Apr 26, 2018

Three Speedmasters on wrist at events i’ve Attended, in the past two week. (One was on my wrist). Two on the wrists of two other fellows.

2. 77deluxe Apr 26, 2018

I saw another Apple Watch.

vbrad26 and TJH like this.
  3. Edantony Apr 27, 2018

Lots of rolexes in the luxury beauty wholesale business. My boss sports a cartier roulette or whatever you call it

4. Steve Essex Apr 27, 2018

5. dwboston Apr 28, 2018

I don't see a lot of high-end watches on a daily basis. A Rolex here and there, and my old boss used to wear a nice Seamaster, but I see a lot of Apple watches in the office (buy-side investment firm). I still don't fully get the "smartwatch" thing. The screen is tiny, it needs to be recharged nightly, and it doesn't seem to solve a real problem.

MaiLollo and BrianMcKay like this.
  6. davten Apr 29, 2018

I really enjoy the hunt to spot.
    Everywhere but usually London and Manchester.
    The other day I was served by a guy in his sixties in M&S. he had a 1675 GMT on. I complimented him on it and he said he’d owned it from new and it had only been off his wrist once for a service. He was a true one watch guy.

I see surprisingly few vintage time only pieces from the 50s and 60s. Big seems to still be the fashion. Obvs quite a few Speedies and Subs out and about.

I’ve spotted three new Daytonas in as many weeks which I find surprising.

I enjoy being asked about what I’m wearing but it also makes me a bit wary.

7. Fialetti Apr 29, 2018

Hong Kong again so, as others have said, a sea of Rolexes, 'Rolexes', and many other famous brands of dubious authenticity. At work, few colleagues bother but those that do wear Omega, Longines, Franck Muller and, of course, Rolex. Vintage watches are unusual. I did see a beautiful Daytona 6263 (I think) the other day, but that was in a vintage watch repair centre, so am not sure it counts.

Apropos fake/genuine watches and their relation to clothing: the most expensive and quite possibly best watch I have ever seen being worn 'in the wild' was a 1930s Patek Calatrava in gold. The guy wearing it owned an appreciable proportion of LA. Apart from the watch though, he was dressed like he was about to go wash his car.

8. dxholdren Apr 29, 2018

Watch spotting is something I love to do when going into the city, airport, or a hotel. I typically see more luxury watches in these places. I just recently spotted a Seamaster Pro chrono in an elevator and complemented the gentleman and we then struck up a conversation about the NATO strap it was on :thumbsup:

valjoux72 and NickC like this.
  9. Longbow May 10, 2018

A lot of magnetic resistance at breakfast time yesterday Magnetic Resistance.jpg

GuiltyBoomerang and Pun like this.
  10. USDKH123 May 10, 2018

Was at a corporate dinner last week with a big group of international colleagues. Most of us were strangers or, at best, new acquaintances. Spent all evening making banal small talk with a couple Italians at my table. Toward the end of the night, one asks to see my watch. He pulls up his cuff and shows a gorgeous Datejust. Said it was 25 years old. Looked brand new. The other Italian had a Milgauss. Both were very impressed with my Speedmaster. They said “We’ve been trying all night to see if that was a Moonwatch”. We spent the last half hour of the dinner pounding Beck’s and having a great discussion about watches. Wish he would have asked me about the watch during the salad course. Would have saved me from a brutal night of work talk.

Edited May 10, 2018
  11. Screwbacks May 10, 2018

often times with my former group such as this 18k omega ultima.
    vintage1.jpg

GuiltyBoomerang and kkt like this.
  12. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 11, 2018

I rarely see Rolex Explorers in the real world. Even though there are tons of Rolex in Copenhagen the Exp I is rare here. Yesterday on the bus I stood next to a guy, a turist from Italy I believe, who was wearing an Explorer I. It just happened that my wrist with my 14060m was just next to his and he saw me glancing at his watch. He looked at mine as well and we shared half a second of approving eye contact :D

dr1v3thru and Pun like this.
  13. Tootalltim May 11, 2018

I’ve spotted a few nice wild watches.

A client I was working with had a nice Speedmaster I complimented him on (he had pretty much no idea what it was, just liked it and bought it)

Saw a guy with a Rolex Sub sat next to me and my wife in a restaurant. He spent the entire evening undermining the waitress because he was a total dick.

Yesterday I walked past a hotel in London and a guy smoking outside was wearing an Audemars Piguet

14. dwboston May 11, 2018

I hate to quote myself, but I did want to provide an "update". One of the guys who works for me - he's 35, technically a millennial - wears a really nice PO chrono. I never noticed it until yesterday. He then casually mentioned that he has his father's old Speedy, purchased in the late 1960's, in a drawer at home. I guess I should pay closer attention.

15. dwboston May 11, 2018

And here is his father's watch - he wore it into the office today. I'm no expert, but it's in fantastic condition.

MVIMG_20180511_092339.jpg

16. abrod520 May 11, 2018

Wow - fantastic condition indeed! It's a 145.022-69.

MaiLollo likes this.
  17. rcs914 May 11, 2018

Those lugs are so sharp I think you could cut yourself! Beautiful example - looks almost new!

MaiLollo likes this.
  18. dwboston May 11, 2018

Thanks Adam!

19. dwboston May 11, 2018

I agree - it's really nice in person. He talked to his dad - he bought it (new) in 1971 in the Panama Canal Zone while he was in the Army. Said he paid around $300 for it then...

sevenhelmet, kkt and Taddyangle like this.
  20. 77deluxe May 11, 2018

At the Orange Julius today and saw an Apple Watch again.

vbrad26 likes this.