Forums Latest Members
  1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

Going light.
    7033820519_268737ab16_h.jpg

alam likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2013

I've already got the D600 with a couple of good lenses, its more just staring in awe at the results people are getting with the 50mm Summilux, (and the 50mm Noctilux), they're just utterly staggering, although the rangefinder experience is part of the draw its the end product that makes it seem really worth it.

I'm holding off for a while now, maybe I'll reconsider in a couple of months ;)

So I take it we don't have any Leica guys at all here?!

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 28, 2013

If you pair the d600 with the sigma 35mm f1.8 prime - you will have a combo that is better than anything leica ever made (albeit in a larger package).

4. Interstatetime Jul 30, 2013

If a person wants a Leica he/she does not want a Fuji. This is like telling a watch nut that a Seiko diver is just a functional as a Rolex Sub. Not having the name and the feel makes it different to the fanatic.

If you want a Leica you need to get one. Just don't think it will take quantitatively better pictures than the Nikon or the Fuji. It will feel different and you will feel different and if that makes you happy it is worth it. I need a photographic system that can produce salable pictures in different situations everyday so I have to use Nikon or Canon. I wear watches because they make me feel good so I wear old Heuer/Zenith/Omega etc.

JohnCote

5. woodwkr2 Aug 1, 2013

Agreed about the Leica part. My point was more to the fact that the Fuji x100 series is frickin' fantastic. Leaving the Leica knock off conversation aside, it's just an amazing little camera that has and will change the way you view photography (especially for professionals who are used to toting their Nikon/Canon DSLRs with kit).

6. Interstatetime Aug 1, 2013

I guess it depends on what kind of photography we are doing. I shoot 3 basic things. They are probably 50% IndyCars and drivers on race tracks, 25% people...mostly drivers in the studio and 25% watches. Probably if I shot close-up candid people a Leica or Leica like camera might be nice but I couldn't do a good job of what I have to do with rangefinder camera. I own 3 working Leica M3s. I know what it is like to work with them. They are light and feel great and there is that feeling of working with a superbly crafted machine. However, the reason rangefinders have a limited market is because they are limited in capability. I am used to toting a lot of gear and don't see an alternative...until I am replaced by the next generation of go-pro or whatever remotely operated machine comes on the market.

ICONO likes this.
  7. alam Jul 8, 2016

not a Leica, but sure this one is a pretty one..

:)

image.jpeg
  8. micampe Jul 8, 2016

I don’t have a picture of the camera but I have this. 1960 90/2.8 that I actually never use because I never remove the 40/2.0.

so, @dsio, did you get it after those two months? :)

IMG_4220.jpg

Edited Jul 8, 2016
    ebrohman, George.A, TNTwatch and 3 others like this.
  9. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jul 8, 2016

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2016

No, @Trev ruined it for me so I put it on ice but I still greatly admire the M9 especially used.

11. ICONO Jul 8, 2016

Dedicated Leica Guy here...........

Former professional advertsing / fashion photographer ( 25years ) , now University Tutor - I have used pretty much every camera out there, from film with Sinar 10 x 8, Horeseman 5 x 4, Hasselblad 6x6, Pentax 6x7, Mamiya 6x7, Nikon F2as, & latterly digital Nikon D4's

There is a precision with a Leica rangefinder, that is missing with 'point & shoot' software, - a precison that makes one actually think about how to compose & expose the image correctly......The camera demands you make decisions, and rewards your perserverance.

The lenese are unparralleled for resolution & contrast - particularly the Summicron 50mm f2 - Possibly the finest lens ever made

Their customer service blows everyone else out of the water

Yes......I like Leica......but it is not for everyone

Pazzo, 105012, CLOUT and 3 others like this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2016

The one thing that did turn me off a bit was also the reports of serious software problems on the M9, lockups, crashing, poor battery life etc which seem to have improved dramatically for the M240 but for some reason I greatly prefer how the M9's sensor has a certain unusual look that the M240 doesn't.

13. ICONO Jul 8, 2016

If you want to have a ( relatively ) cheap play in the World of Leica - Buy a good used M8 - The rendition is superb, & hammers many cameras, with twice the size of sensor

Two favourite tools

131a_edited-1.jpg

ebrohman, claes_t, TNTwatch and 2 others like this.
  14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 8, 2016

Ive been shooting Leica since I was 16. My first was a IIIf.

This is my first M, I bought a used M3 when I was 17 and have owned pretty much every M since. The second image is my first Leica, a IIIf that I saved a year for.
    I shoot today with an SL and Monochrome...but have owned all of the digital M's, the M8, M9 and M240

LS6C0281sm.jpg L1020546sm.jpg
    Edited Jul 8, 2016
  15. ICONO Jul 8, 2016

"reports of serious software problems on the M9, lockups, crashing, poor battery life etc"

Think chips on ceramic watches...........of course, it does happen but very infrequently

16. micampe Jul 8, 2016

I agree with @ICONO, there aren't really any technical advantages and depending on your style of shooting it may just not work for you, but I believe a rangefinder makes you think more about what you are doing. It's a very different experience, one that I enjoy. I haven't tried one but I'm not sure a digital M would feel the same.

If you want to give it a try on the cheap-ish you can get the Leica CL (which is the one I have), I think these days it comes in at less than $1k with its dedicated 40mm, same M-mount. Or the Minolta version, which is identical just with a different label is even cheaper (they built the bodies for Leica). It was so good that they canceled production in less than a year because it was eating into the sales of the M line. It even has a light meter.

ICONO likes this.
  17. TNTwatch Jul 8, 2016

Just curious, what cameras does it hammer?

18. proximal Jul 9, 2016

One of these days I'll pick up a PanaLeica, either that one or the new 12 mm. But I've still got enough stuff to play with in the mean time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 9, 2016

I've been using a Fuji for a few years now (they're outstanding), but did own an M8 for a while. Loved to use it with a Noctilux, which I bought used just before prices skyrocketed. It's a spectacular lens, though of course with a very narrow DOF. Here's a shot of my late father, who was 88 at the time.

[​IMG]

YYTIN, Pazzo, woodwkr2 and 8 others like this.
  20. ICONO Jul 9, 2016

From an article by Andy Hendriksen written in 2014

"( Leicas ) sensor is a CCD, instead of the modern and more commonly used CMOS technology. Many attribute the Leica's incredible tonality and unique looking files to the fact that they chose a CCD sensor for this camera."

"Arguably the biggest and most notable issue with the Leica M8 was the sensor's almost nonexistent IR filter. Leica removed the IR and anti-aliasing filters from the sensor to increase sharpness, but unfortunately it was at the cost of increased IR sensitivity that caused black colors in some lighting to come out purple. To remedy this, Leica offered two free IR cut filters to everyone that purchased an M8, and included them with all future M8 sales. With an IR cut filter on your lens, there are no problems, but it is important to be aware that you will absolutely need one on every lens you plan to use with this camera.

The flip side of this, however, is that images from the Kodak sensor are shockingly sharp. Paired with high quality glass from Leica or Zeiss, you'll end up with files that are as sharp as anything on the market today. The sharpness is mind blowing, and it's fantastic to see a sensor do these incredible lenses justice."

".......Unless you are a professional photographer with specific technical requirements, there's simply no reason to dwell on what is ground-breaking today. I would love if the autofocus on my X100 were faster, or my Leica handled high ISO a little bit better. But I often still find myself picking my jaw up off the floor when I look at the files from either camera. They were brilliant when they were new, and they're just as brilliant today." - Authors bold type

http://www.drewtensils.com/tools/leica-m8-eight-years-later

If one buys a preowned Leica M8 & lens - Then, upon appliication, Leica despatches out to you, two IR cut filters for free, zilch, nothing, zero, nada

If one ever does encounter a problem with your Leica camera, then the person to talk to is Andrea Frankl - Possibly Gods own 'Service Representative' on earth.....and brilliant

Paulomega likes this.